Allied Wire & Cable Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's a great start"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you do your job and are good at it they will take notice. I had a great experience working in the warehouse of their Wisconsin branch. I was only there for about 8 Months, but I learned a lot about them and the industry. I came from the rail industry and am currently back in it, but if I could have hung on longer I would have stayed. (see cons)
    The sales team was great and interactive with the Team Member's on the floor. The work is pretty basic so it wasn't stressful. I can't speak for the sales team I never experienced their program. Wish I would have though. Every supervisor I met was kind and listened all the way up to the owners....who are very open.
    Allied saw potential in a team member and flew them to headquarters to learn more and help them grow. That doesn't just happen, they worked and did their job well and got rewarded. If you don't do that then yes you will have a hard time and you can write your own review blaming the management and so on. Every place I have worked had questionable managers, it happens, and you don't always get to know what's going on..so what. Anyway, like I said its a great place to start, if you work hard.....it's a great place to stay.

Cons

So my cons.......MONEY...it always about the money. I lost my job before I joined allied, so I hired on at allied because I couldn't afford to live off unemployment. Turns out I couldn't afford to live on Allied's pay either and had to move on. Like I said before though, the work is basic and not hard to pick up, it isn't exactly a skilled trade. But I do think it should be about $2-$3 more an hour. That would help with retention. That's my only con, Vacation is OK and they have decent benefits.

Advice to Management

Visit your Facilities outside of headquarters a little more. Team members will appreciate it and it will keep those facility managers on their toes and follow through with policies better.

"STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!"

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time

Pros

I can't think of one good reason to work here.

Cons

Everything is terrible here. From the owner, to managers, to the building. You name it, 100% chance it is bad. The "benefit" package is a joke. HR is a bigger joke here. Look at the title of this. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

This will fall on deaf ears because they are inept. But my advice would be that you cannot treat people like a pile of dirt. Realize that that you are dealing with actual human beings here. No need to try to show your power muscles and push people around.

"Just...no"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They let me leave training in Philadelphia to attend to my wife in Florida, who had been hospitalized. Although they let me go two weeks later, so not sure if that's a pro or not...

Cons

Abysmal training program; lack of communication; strange compensation plan; forced 5 hour OT with shady hourly wages

Advice to Management

Hey Allied - some advice from a guy who's been around the block at some real companies:
    Use a normal schedule: Requiring new guys to work 45 hours a week, and making them sign documents regarding their correct 'hourly' wage so that Allied doesn't pay crazy OT, smacks of shadiness and manipulation. Nothing will burn someone out faster than a requirement to work 45 hours in a week from the start, especially when his start is sitting around doing nothing while waiting for the manager to have time for him. Speaking of which...
    Hire a real trainer: Training involves more than sticking the new guy with other employees and having him watch them do their jobs for the day - especially when their job is not what the new guy's job is going to be. Training involves more than putting the new guy in front of a TV and having him watch old Brian Tracy videos for a week, because the manager is too busy leaving early and making his monthly sales quota to train him. Training involves more than flying your new guy to company HQ after two weeks on the job and letting him watch a senior member of the team work on making his quota for the month/quarter. The training, in a word, sucks. Training involves working with systems, products, techniques, and real-life concepts. Training involves integration and dedication, not sitting the new guy down in a chair, pointing to a phone, and say "call someone." I was a corporate trainer, more than once, in my life. I've trained almost two hundred people in the operation of complete franchise stores, as well as in sales and sales systems. You guys need a real trainer and training course. Having some sales guys do it in their spare time doesn't hack it.
    Get some real IT: Gmail for their corporate mail system? OpenOffice products instead of MS Office? Thinclients instead of PCs? Even their phone logs are done manually, either on a piece of paper or an Excel spreadsheet. You have to manually record your own calls every time you want something to review. In other words, they've never invested in the infrastructure needed to become a true world-class company. The Gmail thing especially smacks of cheap, cheap, cheap. The phone logs are easily manipulated - I watched it get done every day. And since all they care about is how many 'quality' calls you make every day, it's advantageous to stertch the truth.
    And even then, real performance doesn't matter. They keep a top ten list for outbound call volume for the entire company. In my first month, during and after their so-called "training", (and having my wife hospitalized for a week), I went from off the list to third in calls, with a week left in the month. (I've had fifteen years of sales experience prior to this.) I was teaching myself the systems, product, and techniques to use their CRM, after the abysmal primer I got. The top guy was manipulating his call logs - I watched him do it - so I was just shooting for second place, and was on pace to do it. And that wasn't enough for them - I was told they had "wasted their time." No, I wasted mine. And left a good job at a Fortune 500 company for your joke of a company.
    Stay away from these guys. The owner drives an Aston-Martin, and you get to use Gmail every day of the week. Their turnover is very high, because most people get out shortly after they get in. You were warned.

"WALK AWAY"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

I made some friends at Allied. The management is so absurd and oppressive that any other job will feel like heaven after you leave. Trust me you will leave. That is where the pros really end.

Cons

I worked in sales. There is no training program. They have no idea how to put one together. The micromanagement is on a level that I have never seen before. You can expect to be berated by management in emails for the entire company to read. Do you like working 11+ hours a day and told you aren't doing enough? How do you feel about endless meetings and daily, weekly, monthly goal sheets? Do you enjoy watching sales training videos from the 80's and writing essays afterwards...during your lunch break? If you like recording your sales calls and them dissected by management play by play on a weekly basis then this is the place for you. Expect to juggle 1,000 things at once. While you are juggling there will be problems with management, material, vendors, warehouse, shipping, customers, etc. The problems never end! Your goal in a sales role will be to rip your customer off for as much money as possible while being told to develop relationships with them. In fact you are required to do so. I didn't meet one person who was happy with the company the entire time I was there. I saw over 20 people in all roles quit before me.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and perhaps you will receive it. You are successful because of your employees not for your bipolar management style. The next time you think of a brilliant idea run it past your employees first before it blows up in your faces. Try being decent human beings. It's never too late. Also, stop writing pro Allied reviews on this site. We know it's you. Good luck and start thinking about karma.

"inside sales coordinator"

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time

Pros

position seemed like a good opportunity, growth sounded possible.

Cons

Was contacted by recruiter for a position with this company. I was sent numerous personality tests/screenings to complete. Not a problem I have done this before. Was very disturbed while taking one of the tests that numerous questions went to religion/faith/politics. I thought in America we were not allowed to interview potential employees and discuss these matters. So, arms length through headhunter and third party quizzes are ok in 2016? Needless to say I was not chosen to move forward with this company.

Advice to Management

Skill sets should be what a company looks for in new employees. You are not a nonprofit looking for relief workers or religious students looking to save your soul.

"Good Jumping-Off Point - Not good for a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really nice and hard-working people in the company. The Marketing and IT managers and employees are some of the best people you can work with. In some departments, they will create your job around your strengths. Gym on-site is nice. And the marketing department creates some very fun and creative things. If you're fresh out of college and looking to gain some experience, this can be a great place to do so.

Cons

Ownership treats everyone in the company like children and micromanages everything. Processes and procedures can change at the drop of a hat due to an inability to filter out good ideas from bad ideas - they seem to follow the idea that if you throw enough stuff at the wall, something will eventually stick - this gets confusing and frustrating. They boast of good pay, great benefits, and a work/life balance - this is simply not true. Everyone (save for a small few) is GROSSLY underpaid - especially for the amount of work you're generally asked to do. People are often asked to perform tasks equivalent to at least 2 full-time jobs without given much more money or more time (a direct quote, when asked about the extra duties was, "That's what nights and weekends are for"). And the work from home policy is laughable (have to use 4 hours of Paid Time Off to work a full day from home). They will happily make you risk your life to drive through a blizzard so you can sit at your desk instead of allowing people to simply work from home (except for the very few people at the top of the sales tier). Or keep you at work during a blizzard instead of sending people home (again, except for those at the top of the sales tier - this constant favoritism is frustrating and insulting). Ownership is very vocal about their political and religious beliefs and have even sent out company-wide emails during election years letting you know who they think you should vote for. The way the sales reps are treated is terrible (again, save for the very few at the top). They get the brunt of the micromanagement and being treated like children. I have seen plenty of company-wide emails that publicly shame sales representatives that might not be doing so well, or didn't follow one of the new procedures correctly (the top sales reps are not safe from the public shaming). And there is definitely a 'good ole' boy' mentality with Ownership - the sales floor can get uncomfortable if you're a woman.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like adults - they will then act like adults. Those who don't are easy to spot and not worth keeping. Don't micromanage. Pay your employees better and respect their time, feelings, and safety. Live up to your boasts of a work/life balance, good benefits, and good pay - don't just say it; DO IT. Your pay is not even close to comparable to similar jobs in the area. Treat ALL your employees well, not just the few at the top of the sales tier. This is a growing company and a level of professionalism needs to be added - you shouldn't act like you're working out of your basement any more.

"Bad atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable (More than a year)

Pros

Some cool people, the collegeville was location was nice - close to target for lunch breaks and lots of food places, gym on site

Cons

They treat you like a child who can't be trusted, micro-manage every detail, if you aren't a favorite you won't be listened to. I definitely felt like just a number while working there, not a person with a name. The marketing team was just so cliquey it was hard for to be included in anything. So much gossip. And the pay - it was so incredibly low, and newer employees were making more than people who had been there a few years! It was so laughable. They only gave raises if you work unpaid overtime which is kind of a joke for people with long commutes and families. Benefits were expensive.

Advice to Management

Treat employees equally - when the same "favorite" employee's ideas always get chosen, it lowers moral pretty significantly.

"excellent company to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

owners are not afraid to take risks that have paid off big time!
    compettiive atmosphere makes work fun
    embracing technology for every aspect of the business, not holding back to make changes that help productivity

Cons

hold on to some workers that are dead weight too long, makes others frustrated
    mid managers could use some training on being more professional.
    salary was lower, but benefits did make up some

Advice to Management

Keep people motivated by being transparent about where the company is going.
    Appreciate the little things people do, not just the sales team.

9. "Best move of my life!"

Pros

Joining AWC is the best move I've made in my work life! From the first meeting 9 years ago to this day AWC is family. Work hard & produce & the sky is the limit!!

Cons

None - If you work hard life is good!

"This is not a good place to work. It's not inside sales-it's a call center micromanaged horribly!"

I have been working at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best part of working here is being able to dress down.

Cons

Inside sales is a lie. This is a call center with ridiculous goals. No time to sell...too busy with redundant meetings and mounds of daily/weekly paperwork to "prove you are being productive".

Advice to Management

Try doing what you are putting your newer people through and let's see if you and all your people who were grandfathered in before the crazy goals were established can meet it? My guess is after 1 week you can't.

Allied Wire & Cable Response

Feb 19, 2015 – Owner

Allied has a very aggressive approach to sales. We use the latest technology to help our sales staff succeed. Our dynamic training program and the high volume of incoming leads generated by our... More