AlliedBarton Reviews in Indianapolis, IN | Glassdoor

AlliedBarton Indianapolis Reviews

Indianapolis, IN

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay worked a decent amount of hours at a refinery" (in 51 reviews)

• Overall Easy job if you just do what you're supposed to do (in 42 reviews)

1. "Easiest job ever"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AlliedBarton (Less than a year)

Pros

Do whatever you want within the parameters of the job.

Cons

You can't leave for lunch.

Advice to Management

Back up the employees.

"Not bad, not great"

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work isn't too hard, starting pay is decent, lots of different sites to work at, lots of opportunities for voluntary overtime.

Cons

Very little room for advancement, no raises due to contract-dependent pay. Very high turnover rate. Unaffordable insurance options.

Advice to Management

Guards should start out at lower paying sites and be moved to higher paying sites over time. They should not be kept at low paying sites for their entire term of employment, and new hires shouldn't be assigned to the best paying sites.

3. "Easy job with reliable pay"

Former Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Security Officer/Security Guard in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

People were ready to get along with and friendly. The zippered work shirts were very interesting in the winter. Automated hour tracking was a nice bonus.

Cons

Low pay rates, zippered shirts, the main office in indianapolis indiana was small and barely staffed. Account manager was not responsive to sites with safety issues.

Advice to Management

$10 should be the minimum starting pay with raises to reward employees. Alternatively keep spending money to hire and train replacements.

5. "So So for a college job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job depending on the site, low stress 99% of the time and most of the co-workers were very easy going.

Cons

Some sites pay less for more work, ex: one site might pay $16/hr to watch a locked gate the next may pay $8/hr with 12 hours of foot patrols and constant paperwork.

Advice to Management

Go away from the fake police uniforms and move to something less copish because at the end of the day the guards are warm bodys for insurance write offs

6. "Great employees"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

their are ok ok ok

Cons

they dont llike to give raise increases

Advice to Management

Need to award employees for doing a good job

"Meat-grinder Mentality"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It doesn't take a special set of skills to do your job properly. Once your on the jobsite, that's when it takes a bit more effort to understand the intricacies of the client, but even those aren't normally too difficult to adhere to.

Cons

Allied Barton treated us worse than the onsite client. At one point, they physically tried to take away our lunch breaks. Mind you, they were not set 30 minute breaks to begin with, but were in fact 20 minutes 'when you could get them' style breaks, yet Allied Barton was trying to finagle a new contract out of the client, and thought that was a good selling point. Eventually the client stepped in and made sure we weren't breaking in state laws regarding breaks (which we were).

The company couldn't recruit competent people to save their lives. As a supervisor, I was constantly forced to train the dumbest and dullest as they showed up on a weekly basis. Typically the Hiring Manager would lie to them about almost everything; including hours, days of the week they would work, and compensation, and after I set them straight it was about a 50% chance they'd show up for their second day. I couldn't blame them either. When they lost the contract for my site to another company, I was already working on getting out the door. I offered to stick around and help get the place in order (in case Allied Barton could get another contract) and they practically ignored me. So instead, I became an asset for the new company because they wanted my insights on how to make things run smoothly.

Standing for 8 hours straight isn't a major issue, but being told you have 4 hours of overtime as you're walking out to your car at the end of the day is downright ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your new hires. You've become a running inside joke because you constantly tell new folks complete lies to get them to sign the paperwork. It's not fair to the client (who you always hide behind when things go wrong), your current employees (who have to constantly be the bad guy on the site to new folks), and the new employee (you're making their financial situation worse by not giving them all the facts). It's shameful.

Showing 6 of 1,629 reviews