AlliedBarton Reviews | Glassdoor

AlliedBarton Reviews

Updated January 31, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AlliedBarton Chairman, President, and CEO Bill Whitmore Jr.
Bill Whitmore Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay worked a decent amount of hours at a refinery" (in 52 reviews)

• Overall Easy job if you just do what you're supposed to do (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Unprofessional account managers who don't like doing their jobs (in 73 reviews)

• Not enough room for advancement (in 25 reviews)

1. "Security guard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time

Pros

None nothing good about this company

Cons

This company had us a guard shack with no electricity. Cold in the winter hot in the summer. Had to wait for a relief just to go to the bathroom. Would not recommend this place to anyone. Manager promoted a male over a female who had more experience. Male was there only a week and got promoted bunch of hypocrites.

Advice to Management

Need a manager who is not racist.

2. "Labor environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get plenty of overtime because the staffing is always short.

Cons

Was actually told by Allied Barton management that the Kansas City District was proud to maintain 70% denials of unemployment benefits when they terminate security officers. The same manager that told me how proud he was to deny unemployment benefits to former security officers also told me when I was fired to, "I would go ahead and put in for unemployment benefits when I left here." After looking me in the eye and saying that, he then tried to tell the State that I was fired for misconduct and should not be awarded unemployment benefits. When the appeal finally came around, he was the one on the Allied Barton side telling the State again that I did not deserve unemployment benefits.

Proud of that 70% denial rate and works hard at it as well.

Advice to Management

Support your officers and on the ground managers. Don't be so proud of making life rough on former employees by going out of your way to deny unemployment benefits.

3. "What an absolute joke"

Former Employee - Armed Security Officer
    Former Employee - Armed Security Officer

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a few guys that will be life time friends from this point forward.

Cons

Where oh where do I begin. I'm sure that there are parts of ABSS that run smoothly and everyone is relatively happy with their jobs and what they do. That is definitely not the case in my short time with the company. Left my former job to join ABSS due to the hourly pay and initial impression of the job/company which was very positive. Unfortunately I didn't do enough research on the company (specifically a city in the rainy Pacific NorthWest) even after being warned by two people before I officially started that the management at this rainy PNW city based location of ABSS was a complete waist of air, but the majority of the officers assigned to the account in which I was being assigned were either so disgruntled that they made the work environment worse for everyone else around them, or they should have been checked for a pulse because while they were on the clock they were completely useless (in a position that actually requires a small amount of attention to detail and integrity). Without writing a book I will bullet point just a few, of the things that made less sense to me than the punishments we had to do in basic training.

-Uniforms made out of polyester: Not only old and outdated (we looked like South Hill Mall Security) but some of us worked around open fuel cells. Static conducting fabric + open fuel cells = Yup....Science is hard.
    -Account/Site training (before you're sent off to work alone): 3, 8 hour days of either sitting on your third POC, starring at the wall inside the main gate (while the duty LT and SGT sit back in their office and play on the internet or...yup that's about all they did). In the event you actually were able to drive around with the on duty SGT to learn the facility and how each gate worked, you instead just drove to various fast food restaurants off post and frequented various other hiding spots to sit and chit chat on your cell phone....right....in front....of a brand new, day one, officer. Congrats gents!
    -Constantly violating the contracting companies own SOP's and regulations by allowing people access inside the gate without even knowing that their access had been revoked several weeks prior due to management not passing information down the chain of command appropriately to their lower level officers. For a company that just POUNDED the fact that they're ran very similar to the military (I am prior service by the way), ABSS is about as close to a federal govt job as FedEx.
    -When presented proposed solutions to the giant bag of f-up's that occur on a daily basis around there, you are told that "That'll never happen", and yup, that was about the end of that discussion as they would turn back to their computers and open Facebook back up on their computer.
    -Constantly worked 12-18 hour work days when only being scheduled for 8 (due to lack of officers showing up for work/LT or SGT messing up the schedule (btw we never got that generally until the day before the work week was supposed to start) and officers not knowing they were supposed to work.
    -Being left out at a gate with no relief to use the restroom after 6, 7, 8, 9, 10+ hours of sitting either inside or outside of a guard shack.

I could go on and on and on, believe me. I've got a book of at LEAST 8-10 pages, front and back, no skipped lines, of violations both company and client that happened DAILY that this specific site and absolutely zero F's were given by management. I wouldn't recommend a homeless person to work for this company, let alone a peer.

Advice to Management

If you want a company to be ran like the military as badly as you apparently want it ran, then maybe put someone in the position to lead the account who was actually in the MILITARY. If you are going to make a decision, regardless of whether it's a popular one or not, grow a set and stick by your word instead of dancing around every little thing so that you can get that nose just that much closer. Best advice I can give is honestly for you to quit so that someone who's competent, honest, loyal, has both the company and the clients best interest in mind while still looking out for their officers well being (scheduling a guy who just had a brand new baby with his wife to work 2 - 18hr shifts, then a 12hr shift, then ONE day off, then back to a few 18hr shifts and what ever else you want to sprinkle on top of that because you want to go see a concert? you don't feel good? Remove yourself from not only that job and what they're paying you, but please no longer operate heavy machinery, vote, or anything else that requires you to be apart of normal society because quite frankly I'd rather you carry around a potted plant on your person at all times and when asked why you're carrying around set potted plant on your person at all times you can tell them it's because you would like to give back the amount of oxygen you steal away from normal hard working people.

Cheers!

5. "Worst Company Ever!"

Former Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Security Officer (Unarmed) in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

They allowed me to take days off, if I needed, as long as I found another guard at the same location to cover my shift. Vise Versa

Cons

The person who entered my SSN

Advice to Management

Get better data entry people, who can read numbers and a keyboard, and not mess up. Train them properly!

"Stay Away!!!"

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time

Pros

Paid On time - enjoyed challenges that the job provided. I also enjoyed the individuals I worked with.

Cons

Disorganized - Leadership - Jumping through hoops - when you are told that you can do what you want as long as it is in the best interest of the company - don't change that line.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as you would want to be treated.

7. "Security Officer"

Pros

Great place to get security work experience. No experience needed to start.

Cons

Horrible Account manager
    Complaints go unheard

Advice to Management

Get better account manager

8. "Account Manager/ Director of Security 25.5 years"

Former Employee - Account Manager/Director of Security in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Manager/Director of Security in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AlliedBarton (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE, NONE.

Cons

Do your job to the best of your ability and more and you are repaid by being laid off while others are advanced if the are related to big shots in the company.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at AlliedBarton (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and large company.

Cons

Zero loyalty to employees and not truthful with clients

Advice to Management

Hit the reset button on all VP's and above

10. "Security Guard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at AlliedBarton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros for this company

Cons

Complete slavery, being scheduled for 60 hours per week, no advancement, no thanks or appreciation, low pay (especially for cleared work), horrible management with a district that promotes from without instead of within. Likes to play favorites, then when you try to get a different job, they stab you in the back when a potential new employer calls them.

11. "The Worst"

Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I worked at AlliedBarton part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some things were good like when i needed a job, i had one.

Cons

They lied to make themselves look good and ultimately got me fired because they wanted to save themselves.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth, it'll get you further in life.

Showing 292 of 1,606 reviews