Allison + Partners Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2020

3.4
Allison + Partners Chairman and CEO Scott Allison (no image)
Scott Allison
Pros
  • "The office location, great clients, opportunity for growth(in 5 reviews)

• "Unlimited PTO, mentor program, visibility throughout the entire company from top to bottom(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is rough - that's agency life(in 12 reviews)

• "This is NOT "regular" agency life, which absolutely entails barely any work/life balance-- this was DISRESPECTFUL and ABUSIVE(in 4 reviews)

1. "Best company I’ve worked for"

5.0
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Allison + Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely supportive senior leadership - everyone I have come across will make the time to connect with you and is open to feedback from all levels (Best CEO and Founders EVER) - Managers take the time to connect with direct reports and care about more than just their professional wellbeing - A stimulating work environment and amazing company to learn + grow

Cons

There are always opportunities to be better and grow as an agency but A+P is truly a wonderful place to work. The disgruntled reviews are from individuals who want a lot but are unwilling to put in the work.

2. "They've come a long way"

Former Employee - Senior Team Member

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time

Pros

Great agency that truly cares about its people. Unique culture and collaborative environment. Thoughtful and kind senior leadership. Passionate about clients and work. Junior staff has direct access to senior partners and CEO. Has made solid strides to catch up on operational needs after years of rapid growth. Great HR benefits, including unlimited vacation and a sabbatical after 5 years.

Cons

Three-global president leadership structure often causes behind the scenes in-fighting and politics. Those working on projects with all three are often caught in the middle of uncomfortable situations. Doesn't seem to be many perks with being a partner. The reward for good work is often just more work. Teams are good at tactical execution and client service, but there are very few strategic or creative senior players. Work for clients is effective in delivering desired results, but is not award-winning. Agency lacks diversity and partner pool is a bit of a "boys club."

Continue reading

"Toxic and predatory - not your "average" midsize agency (in the worst way possible)"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Lower and middle management employees are generally kind

Cons

I'm not your typical "deranged and fired" employee-- I left on my will and in good standing with everyone I worked with. I have an extensive agency background and since leaving, the new agency I work at has promoted me twice in one year and is very grateful for my time and work. With time and perspective, these are my thoughts on my 5 years at Allison + Partners: - There are only a few clients who bring in the majority of the revenue. The strain to keep them despite how condescending they were led to constant "Fire drills" starting at 7pm, consistent weekend work and IMs/calls/texts at all hours. There were no boundaries. Account leads never made an attempt to realign or set boundaries with the client. -Senior leadership and management is toxic and abusive; from the start, my work ethic was taken as a weakness. This was not a solitary journey, every single individual I worked with felt just as abused, unappreciated and taken advantage of. There was constant pressure to continue to answer emails and IMs late into the night. The "pinging" was sometimes unrelenting and thinking about how many nights, dinners, vacations that I had to miss or cut short because of an "emergency" still upsets me to this day. This is NOT "regular" agency life, which absolutely entails barely any work/life balance-- this was DISRESPECTFUL and ABUSIVE. I made many attempts to alert my manager of the issue over 5 years and nothing changed. I resigned completely burned out and defeated. -The company is not fit nor able to scale up. They present themselves as a midsize agency, but what they truly are is a mom and pop shop out of San Francisco who has managed to skate by without actually updating policies or practices to effectively manage their employees. They love to talk about their company culture and flexibility, but their actions demonstrate otherwise. Don't be fooled by their testimonials. -Title changes are rarely contingent on quality of work, and "real" salary increases are rare. Each year I was there consisted of a $3-$4k increase, and I was told I was a top performer. It was difficult to go through the level of abuse that I did and remain motivated.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Allison + Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

WFH flexibility, good opportunities to work with new clients and on different projects (although this happens a bit infrequently)

Cons

Very little management support, no performance reviews or check-ins, so it's hard to tell how well you are doing and what opportunities for career progression you have.

"Severe lack of leadership"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Allison + Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

client roster, friendly coworkers, decent benefits

Cons

no leadership, no strategic approach, no ability to have a voice, forget about work/life balance

Continue reading
  6. "Assistant Account Executive"

5.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive

I have been working at Allison + Partners full-time

Pros

I’ve worked a few different PR agencies and A+P is the best by far. As a junior level staff, the amount of access we have to senior management and the founders and CEO makes me feel like they actually care about me as an employee and a person. Great work/life balance and great benefits (401k, health insurance, unlimited PTO and above average pay, paid time to volunteer in my community). My favorite perk is the two hours we get every week to come to work late or leave early so I can go to the gym. Great variety of clients and I enjoy the work I do.

Cons

Promotion decisions are made on a specific timeline, rather than throughout the year based on performance.

Continue reading
  7. "Your Average Public Relations Agency"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time

Pros

WFH Flexibility Friendly environment Small open office setting Top pay for title

Cons

Lack of diversity Less than average benefits Poor woRk life balance

"Innovative agency that helped me build the foundations of my PR career"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Huge variety of clients to work on - Get to work with a global team that is incredibly talented - Clients are truly wonderful, as businesses and as humans - Thorough training in all areas of PR for new employees - Lots of perks - Summer Friday, company outings, lots of treats

Cons

- Global agency means global teams and clients, which means weird hours and managing a lot of time differences - If you work for a practice that is based in a different office, you get minimal visibility to management - Heavy workload expected to be completed by junior staff - typical workweek is more like 50-60 hours, depending on clients and events

"Good people, bad balance."

2.0

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people, good benefits, good sense of community.

Cons

Work-life balance. Frequent last-minute projects led to late evenings at the office, late-night conference calls and weekend work. There was very little transparency which left us scrambling.

Continue reading
  10. "Overall, good. Networking very important"

I worked at Allison + Partners full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office location, great clients, opportunity for growth

Cons

Lose junior talent by not compensating adaquetly

Found 67 reviews