Allison Transmission Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Allison Transmission President and CEO David S. Graziosi
David S. Graziosi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great pay and benefits while working" (in 6 reviews)

• "Great company, positive work environment, great benefits, stability and opportunity for growth" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The organization is transitioning from the old GM ways to a more performance oriented culture (vs seniority mentality)" (in 6 reviews)

• "Upper management still disconnected with what happens at the floor level" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing Towards the Future"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allison Transmission is a growing company. How can a company that has been around since the early 1900s be growing? Well, we better be in order to fit into the future wants and needs of our customers! Allison is EXTREMELY customer focused and values those customers. Currently the search is on for more talented people to join the team. The technology is here! The talent is here! Don't be afraid to come and grow with a great company!

Cons

Attrition, we are losing our legacy personnel to death and retirement. And by legacy, I'm talking about 20-50+ years of experience with GM and Allison combined. I think there is a little fear of the unknowing and what we can expect for the future of the Company as we go through the transition from legacy to beyond but rest assured Allison is a survivor and I see nothing but GREATNESS for the future!

Advice to Management

I would like to acknowledge that Management is aware of the growing pains of their Company and take considerable stock in how their employees feel and want to see improvements made towards the future relationships with all of their employees! In a Company of this size it is a daunting task to please everyone in their employ and I would like to acknowledge the effort being put into improvements both immediate and long term.

2. "Great place - very fulfilling career"

Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The work can be interesting. Yes, there are the routine tasks, too, but with the emphasis on growth there are lots of new products and markets to work on. Unlike many people at Allison, I have worked at other companies and know how good we have it at Allison.

Cons

Not many, only the occasional person who is not happy and complains about things that are actually pretty typical at other companies.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the business - that will make sure Allison has a strong future.

3. "Not sure what to enter here"

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time

Pros

Enjoy my work
    Good benefits program

Cons

Lack of flexibility
    Lack of communication

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company is solid in a great market.

Cons

Mediocrity rules. Nepotism is alive and well. Managers are students of Machiavelli. Overtime is due to poor machine maintenance and ineffective work rules. The union runs this place.

Advice to Management

People don't quit their jobs, they quit their bosses. The salaried employees are encumbered with mounting responsibilities while downsizing by attrition. This also limits opportunity to promote or cross function. All in the name of continuous improvement.

"Challenging rewarding work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allison has a long history with great products that are best in class. Leadership that cares about its employees and opportunity to advance for those that work hard, show initiative and deliver results.

Cons

Slow to change Old GM culture still exists. Minimal empowerment for its employees. Office is Old with not much natural light in need of a refresh.

Advice to Management

Continure to listen to your employees, drive empowerment to your employees at all levels in the organization. Develop young talent, ID high potentials and give them stretch assignments challenge them to perform.

"Old habits die hard..."

I worked at Allison Transmission full-time

Pros

Great employees, especially those on the assembly line

Cons

Way too much bureaucracy. Management seems too focused on process rather than on the product itself.

Advice to Management

It's time to let go of your old GM ways.

"I love working for Allison"

Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

supportive management, unique opportunities for stretch project assignments, competitive pay, great reputation

Cons

none that I can think of

"A Strong Company and Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company and its products are highly-respected within the markets they serve. Overall, the people are good too. For employees, the benefits package, especially the health / dental / 401(k) plans, is strong. In addition to normal Paid Time Off (vacation days), most employees are given paid time off for the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Cons

In some respects, the company's culture hasn't evolved much since the time it was owned by General Motors. As a couple of examples, there's not any flexibility to work remotely as needed nor Casual Fridays. However, management at least appears to be aware of the issue(s) and interested in making changes.

Advice to Management

As the industry rapidly changes to incorporate new technologies, be sure the company can be nimble to proactively develop products that exceed the demands of the marketplace.

"Historic-but-hidden gem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was familiar with Allison from previous career interactions. Excellent product reputation worldwide. Struck by how resilient company has been, having been sold by GM and now a profitable, publicly traded company of its own. Seems to be well-run and holds its own against huge competitors such as ZF and Eaton. Benefits are generous. In-house MBA program. People seem happy here--even the engineers seem less-constipated than usual. Impressed with Allison's volunteering spirit, including house-builds for low-income folks. Seems that the tech companies in Indy are now the bright-and-shiny objects that the dullards in the local business press like to gush about, but Allison is indeed an innovator and shouldn't be overlooked. Only company I truly felt proud to work for.

Cons

Allison hasn't quite exorcised all of the legacy GM bureaucratic ways on administrative side.

Still finding its way as an independent company.

Still unclear how management plans to respond to vehicle electrification trend.

Advice to Management

To the extent possible, please better communicate details about short-term product plans and how we can thrive in world of changing propulsion technologies.

"Not so good"

Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Speedway, IN
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Speedway, IN

I have been working at Allison Transmission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company offers Flex time and Profit sharing.

Cons

Management rules thru fear and intimidation. Finds ways to punish those who speak up or step out of line. Rewards and promotions are given to the favored and not necessarily to the hard workers who do outstanding work. People at the top making over the top salaries, while the true worker bees are not being justly compensated.

Advice to Management

Remember, what goes around comes around. Be fair to all. There are good, hardworking people at Allison who are being overlooked for promotions and fair compensation because they are not in the click or don't fit the physical prototype.