Allscripts Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Allscripts CEO Paul Black
Paul Black

Pros
  • good work life balance as it enables remote employees (in 106 reviews)

• Work From Home option is available for good resources (in 52 reviews)

Cons

"Time to abandon the sinking ship!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Dedicated, hardworking, knowledgeable & friendly co-workers. Above average PTO (if you are actually able to use it). Products improve healthcare quality. Most departments offer flexible hours & remote opportunities.

Cons

Complete lack of work/life balance. Wages are below industry standards. Management teams are top heavy & political. Individual contributors are not valued. Gender & racial inequality is prevalent. Within an 8 week timeframe, 4 long-term female leaders under the finance umbrella submitted resignations. Additionally, our highly experienced & well respected female CFO unexpectedly resigned after less than 1.5 years with the company.

Advice to Management

If your ship is sinking, it might be a good time to throw out the stuff that has been weighing it down. Base employee promotions & pay increases on performance instead of politics.

"They will work you to death!"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allscripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits where good but, you are owned by them.

Cons

Horrible communication. No one knows what they are doing yet you're expected to know everything. No proper training. Absolutely zero respect for your personal time - there is no life/work balance at Allscripts! Don't believe the other reviews that say there is. It's simply not true! Tons of empty promises with no follow through. Expect 50-60 hours a week ata minimum. I am not kidding! The software isn't great and has its issues and the clients pretty much hate us and use you as a punching bag while you're onsite, on a call or at a convention. This place is not for the faint of heart or for someone that expects to have a life outside work.

Advice to Management

Train your staff properly! Don't throw them into situations that they are not qualified to handle because you don't want to deal them. Learn that the hours you expect your team to be available should NOT be 24 hours a day 7 days a week and even when they are on PTO or out sick. It's a sad and awful way to treat people.

"Same Old Allscripts!!"

Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Expert Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clients I get to work with.

Cons

Part of a Managed Services Team onsite for a client while they transition to EPIC. We where all supposed to be the same level... Sr. Business Analyst... quickly found out that the title some people have is not accurate with their skill level. Most had never configured the back end of the application before, this made an upgrade to v15.1 almost impossible.

Advice to Management

After doing most of the work on the upgrade (New configuration, testing, training) 5mths I did nothing but work on the upgrade doing all the things I just mentioned. After a manager change I asked upper management for a raise and promotion. I was told my previous years work was not enough to warrant a raise or promotion.

This last year, I upped my game.. went out and took every training course I could on SQL, Crystal reports and Manager training.... then in December 2016, I had some former co-workers reachout and congratulate me on my promotion.. when I confronted my manager about this,he told me that the promotion he had been pushing for came though and that I was no longer a Sr. BA but now and Expert BA... when I asked about salary.... I WAS TOLD THAT MY CURRENT SALARY FALLS IN THE RANGE FOR MY NEW POSITION....

I left Allscripts in 2013 because of things like this... I came back because I had heard good things from former coworkers about the direction of the company... but have come to learn that nothing has really changed.

"Outdated technology and too much politics."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allscripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work from home facility.
    Good vacation time
    Subscriptions to code school and pluralsight.

Cons

The platform is written in old ASP.NET webform technology. Not sure how long they will continue to survive with this framework. There is a homegrown user controls framework that is very tedious to work with (a desperate attempt to bring in MVC into their old framework that only back fired).

Half the people don't show up to work because of too much "flexibility in work hours". There are people in the Performance and Care Management team who play too many politics and finger pointing games. It messes with the team morale. They are not willing to share knowledge either. It is surprising how this team even survives.

The so called "Expert developers" are not worth the title. Except for massive egos and being bullies, they have no experience working in any current technology platforms.

Advice to Management

Fire those people in QA department, who only talk and waste everyone's time. They are not flexible to work with. Also update the platform ASAP so that you can retain talent. This is more important than building new features on a buggy and inflexible platform.

"Most of these positive reviews are fake"

Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jeans every day of the week if you want

Cons

I don't think anyone REALLY likes it here. Perceptions and politics rule. Very much a good ole boy environment. Management is absolutely terrible. I have never seen so many clueless greedy morons scramble to save a dying company. It's actually pretty fascinating to watch. No one cares about quality of the product or integrity, and now they wonder why customers don't like us. Developer friends tell me all the best have been leaving for years and the products are riddled with bugs. The high departure rates of employees and customers bear this out.

Advice to Management

Sell the company or resign. Creating a quality product and providing value and support to customers is the way to run a successful company that employees enjoy working for.

"Product Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Allscripts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Initial training seemed thorough and unhurried. Fellow employees in work unit were a great group with which to work. There were some impromptu and scheduled events which were entertaining.

Cons

Expected daily metrics were barely attainable, most people worked during their lunch, breaks, stayed late and came early. Raises were low. Senior resources were often unavailable or unresponsive. Promotions were difficult to obtain.

Advice to Management

N/A, they dance to a different drummer

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Bonus - Flexible work time from home

Cons

No vacation last month of quarter - Management can be a bit touchy

"Was great when it was great"

Former Employee - Tech in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Tech in Huntington, WV

I worked at Allscripts (More than 10 years)

Pros

Timeline

2002 - I started at A4 Health Systems - CEO, John McConnell, top down were terrific.
    2003 - A4 buys Compusense from NH
    2003-2006 - Some sort of agreement was made during the acquisition of Compusnese - for some reason all of their employees became managers even though they had no product knowledge beyond their PM system. For example a long time A4 employee that was well respected and loved by his employees was demoted so a non-manager from Compusense could take his place. employees were not happy, and some A4 VP's etc basically disowned people they worked with for years in order to keep climbing the ladder.

2006 - Allscripts acquires A4 - All heck breaks loose as new Mangers now become Directors - and they in turn promote unqualified personnel, friends etc. to become mangers.

Sometime later maybe 2008 ?? - They hire a new VP to co-ordinate the new call centers in India - big call "No-one from the US will be laid off, only new hires will be from India and they go through an extensive English language training program" Well of course anyone that can hear can tell they are from India, clients were not impressed, these are not clients that are buying $100 items from Best Buy they are paying sometimes 10-50K a year for support, getting someone from India on the phone who has no idea what they are doing is not their idea of good customer service, surprise , surprise

I got laid off in 2015, by that time management was in chaos, no senior leadership left that had a clue, it was basically "Hope we get a bonus this year". Oh they also stopped paying overtime and expected you to carry a beeper and be oncall whenever they wanted you to be for free.

Glad I got laid off when I did.

Cons

None now, I was laid off in 2015

Advice to Management

Fire most of your middle managers and Directors, hire some real talent

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Flexible hours. Friendly staff. Casual attire allowed.

Cons

Too many process inconsistencies. Weak management. Reactive vs proactive, making it difficult to incorporate improvements. Concerned that new office space will be worse - more traffic, less parking.

"Employment"

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Allscripts full-time

Pros

Some work from home options

Cons

Expected to work all the time, be available all the time, very little balance.