Allstate Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas J. Wilson II
1,411 Ratings

3,389 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The paid time off allows for work life balance if you use it appropriately (in 383 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home in certain positions (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance / On call support/ No process followed (in 91 reviews)

• Little advancement, no room for growth (in 36 reviews)

"You're in GREAT hands with Allstate."

Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Exclusive Agent in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

Great products behind a strong company name make our job a lot easier. Allstate is an innovator regarding products and offers a strong range of products from Property and Causaulty to Financial Services. A great way to develop and grow relationships with clients, Allstate Agents give comfort and sound advice to those with insurance needs. Allstate offers many opportunities to bonus and several ofter incentives for hard work. We represent our insureds on a daily basis, whether it's simply making a payment, or rebuilding a home lost to fire. We believe in our motto, that with Allstate, You're in good hands!

Cons

Depending on your personal situation, and I'm speaking on behalf of Exclusive Agents, health benefits are not avalable by the company. While you can still find good coverages out there, Allstate doesn't provide this for the Agent. An Agency requires a balence of service and sales. This can sometimes become rigorous if not properly staffed or unexpierenced. Sometimes the claim process can be frustrating. It's hard to name downsides to working at Allstate because each person/agency has their own strengths and weaknesses. For the most part, it is an office job, so people who enjoy being outdoors often during the day may become restless.

Advice to Management

Encourage Agency's and Claims Representatives both in words and incentives. Give us products and systems that keep us out in front of the competition. Continue our strong presence both in the communities and media outlets.

2. "I'm far more relaxed and happy at my job than most of my other friends."

Current Employee - Application Developer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Application Developer in Northbrook, IL

Pros

I've been with Allstate for going on three years now and for the most part have enjoyed it. Most of the time I feel like the company actually cares about me as an employee. I've worked at a few other big corporations and many of them just treat you like a number. The benefits packages are pretty nice, even for a starting employee. New employees get 20 days vacation after the start of a New Year (when hired in the same year this time is prorated from a 14 day vacation), after 5 years or applicable work experience that moves to 25 and continues going up with tenure at the company. Since employees are allowed to carry over 5 days a year I've met a woman who had 40 vacation days to spend in a single year. There's a number of nice on-site facilities Gym, Barber, Shipping, Non-Fee Based ATMs, Oil Changes, Starbucks, etc, etc. During my time there they have been extremely supportive of my continuing education. Not just reimbursing me for a portion of my school, but allowing me to shift my work schedule to fit school into it. They are very encouraging and I have been approached by a manager who will say "I thought you needed to leave early today for school? Shouldn't you get out of here before traffic?" I've also never been told "no" to any type of training class or seminar I wanted to attend to advance my career. This year alone I have taken about 4 weeks in various training classes and we're only in the end of May. Allstate wants their employees to better themselves and is willing to spend the money for you to do it.

Cons

Like many big corporations Allstate is SLOW. Don't expect to come in and start working with cutting edge technology. They also only spend as much as they have to when purchasing hardware for their technology, which ultimately comes back to bite them 6-10 months down the road when changing needs have made their initial purchases obsolete. The company has far too many meetings, we literally have meetings to discuss the fact that we have too many meetings. We might even discuss that our meetings should be shorter, 30 minutes for example, but take an hour to discuss that. I spend at least two hours every day sitting in meetings about something. Finally, the SodexHo cafeteria, regardless of Allstate building tastes like it came from a trashcan someone was scrapping food out of from the back of a dive bar. On top of tasting like my mother's cooking it's also rather pricey with continued excuses why they need to raise that price. Luckily there are a number of places to eat within just a mile or two of the campus that offer better and cheaper food on top of also giving an Allstate discount.

Advice to Management

Spend more money on new Technologies instead of buying into 4 year old software that already has a new version just so you can feel better about stability.

3. "Easy Receptionist Job at Allstate"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Bronx, NY

Pros

It's very easy and the people are very helpful.

Cons

There's just the low pay.

Advice to Management

I don't know.

4. "Allstate is an enjoyable work place"

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Glassboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Glassboro, NJ

Pros

Working with good people in a great company. I am alway being encouraged to do more and go further with my career and life.

Cons

I have had some negative experience with prior bosses that almost made me want to leave the insurance feild. Such as many broken promises in respects to pay, time off and promotions.

Advice to Management

Regulate poor turn around rates within offices. Ive work at one allstate that we went through 14 people at the front desk in less than a year, they all left for the same reason but yet no higher ups looked into it.

"The good, bad and the ugly"

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer in Greenville, SC

Pros

The agent and other employees are awesome and do not treat you like a machine. Allstate has a good name and excellent advertising. I worked for St Farm for a little over a month and HATED it. The manager was a rude person with 0 tolerance for mistakes (even a one cent mistake)

Cons

One downside is the lack of benefits :-( The time and training required to receive your license, the commissions are not very good.

Advice to Management

Get rid of ALSTAR! UGH

6. "You're in great hands with Allstate"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Farmington Hills, MI

Pros

Allstate is a great place to grow professionally and the corporate structure is such that everyone supports one another. It's not uncommon to see people that have been with the company for 20, 30, even 40+ years. You can easily create a whole career path within the company and have it involve some completely different jobs, because the company is so big. For example, I have a co-worker who started as a financial analyst and went to HR, then to IT, and is now in marketing. Management also thinks it very important to keep their good employees around, so they like to keep them satisfied and happy. And if you work hard, a promotion is undoubtedly around the corner; it will not go unnoticed.
    Also, Allstate makes a commitment to the community, and you can really see how much Allstaters really care about each other and about other people. They donate books, clothes, money, etc. as well as volunteer their time to better the world one step at a time. Just knowing that the Allstate Helping Hands committees are there gives you a warm fuzzy about working at Allstate. It is definitely a solid company with a good practices and a great reputation.

Cons

The downsides of working at Allstate are probably similar to the downsides of working anywhere else. There are the long hours (depending on which department you work), there is the seemingly unnecessary red tape, there is the occasional incompetent leader, etc. Nothing really sticks out in my mind as being a major downside of working at Allstate. Except maybe that if you tell people you work at Allstate, they will ask you for advice about their insurance/claim, no matter what your actual position is.

Advice to Management

Great job; keep it up!

"I love my job as Office Mangager at Allstate.... Find a great agent to work for in your area...."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Vallejo, CA

Pros

I think one of the main things that gives a good experience in working for or representing a company is who the agent is that is representing the company and what they are about. Because I have experienced all sides of the spectrum good and bad. I work for a great agent who is very ethical and highly values customer relationships in our agency. The company has a great reputation among consumers as having great claims service and 24hour available customer service. My position as office manager has an opportunity to grow and my possible salary is limitless. I have had a great experience thus far.

Cons

Right now it is diffacult in the marketplace in california because we are no longer writing homeowners insurance through Allstate, although we are brokering out a lot of business to other carriers. The competition is taking advantage of bad mouthing us in the assumption we are going financially insolvent which in fact is not the case. I have learned that every company has its big ups and big downs.

Advice to Management

Keep more in personal touch about changes in the company with the exclusive agents.

8. "Allstate: Great company, great benefits, great work and opportunities."

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

Pros

My area has a very flexible work at home policy. Pay is at least at the market value for the position. Allstate is a pay for performance company and I'm good with that. I perform well and I continue to receive nice increases each year. The benefits are very good: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending. We still have a pension and a 401K is offered for to all. We also have tuition reimbursement. The work is very satisfying. I continue to ask for and receive job opportunities that interest me.

Cons

I've worked there a long time and there really isn't anything in particular that stands out. I feel that I have been treated fairly throughout my career.

Advice to Management

Take some time to get out of the ivory tower and talk to the people who are making the company run every day. Ask questions and listen to what we have to tell you.

9. "Financial Analyst Internship worthwhile"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst - Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst - Intern in Northbrook, IL

Pros

At Allstate their is a great work/life balance. Senior management is extremely accessible and extremely knowledgeable. I was an intern and they gave us worthwhile projects that will continue to be used. Overall a great experience if you are looking to learn about the insurance industry

Cons

Some of the tasks within the analyst role seem monotonous. You seem to do the same things, at the same time of the month, every month. It personally was not my thing, but if you are looking for a corporate finance role than this place will be right for you.

Advice to Management

None, I had no problem with senior management and have nothing but positive things to say about the company and the internship program. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

10. "Allstate-Give it a second thought."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

Pros

large-organization resources, college campus-like atmosphere, respectful and polite co-workers, work-life balance reasonable, generous recognition, generous total compensation and benefits.

Cons

Have to compete against internal hires for more interesting work. Also, sometimes too sociable and too sports-centered. Individuality sometimes needs to be concealed from the masses. Too suburban.

Advice to Management

I'm a newbie, but I like what you're doing. You haven't had to cut 10,000 jobs yet due to restructuring or reacting against the receding world economy.

Showing 3,389 of 3,589 reviews