Allstate Reviews | Glassdoor

3,247 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3,247 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The paid time off allows for work life balance if you use it appropriately (in 371 reviews)

• Opportunity to work from home in certain positions (in 72 reviews)

Cons

1. "Supplier Security Risk Management"

Current Employee - Supplier Security Risk Management in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Supplier Security Risk Management in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Allstate truly appreciates our Military Veterans. Allows you to balance work and family obligations. Opportunity to work from home in certain positions.

Cons

Health benefits are minimal.

2. "Senior Claims Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best benefits, lots of Time off, great team easy to move up if work hard and very flexible.

Cons

Work load is huge,

Advice to Management

Leads and manager treat your peers as you want to be treated. 360 evaluation on leaders will help the company.

3. "Field Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Senior Field Claims Adjuster

I worked at Allstate full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly. Benefits 401k

Cons

In my office I found a lot of bullying by management. Discrimination against older employees. Discrimination against women. All they care about are metrics. I was can be a long term employee put in a new position and I was expected to have the same goals other long term employees that have had a lot more experience than me. I was a very happy employee up until our changed management and the bullying began. Several other long term employees are fearful for their jobs.

Advice to Management

Treat your long term employees with respect like they deserve.

4. "Not millennial friendly"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Good benefits
    -a lot of PTO
    -they help a lot in the community
    -they will help you with school

Cons

-most departments in Marketing don't allow work from home
    -the older employees hate millennials
    -5-10 years behind in technology
    -very political environment
    -they only promotion unskilled people
    -They micromanage
    -people that work there say they are happy but deep down hate working there and they have no other option.
    -they fire hundreds of people at a time in the headquarters of Northbrook because they are transitioning to other regional headquarters.
    -Not a creative work place
    - managers don't respect you and treat you like a number

Advice to Management

-Start hiring and promoting people that have skills, not the ones that play the system
    -be more millennial friendly and allow the benefits you give to your downtown location to the ones in Northbrook
    -stop trying to be politically correct all the time

"Read between the lines"

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Company is doing great. That's awesome for the shareholders and officers.

Cons

The company is doing great at the expense of the people who work their tails off. While directors and officers sit around and make up new stupid initiatives and rules, the worker bees are scrambling to make sure to do them correctly. And what do those worker bees get for their loyalty and hard work? Laid off! There are secret layoffs happening all the time. They are strategic about them so only those affected know. We lived in our happy little world until the ball dropped. Some get a few months notice, others are shown the door immediately. All the positive reviews have been written by people who are still drinking the Kool-Aid, HR or senior management. Their time will come. I hope they are more ready than I was.

Advice to Management

Why bother. They are heartless. They prefer to tell tales about a great culture than to create one.

6. "Family Owned Business"

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Always feel like a part of the family.

Cons

There are no cons working here

Advice to Management

None

"Has some internal issues that need to be resolved"

Former Employee - Analyst in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Malvern, PA

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some background on the company structure--there's the home office located in Northbrook, and then there are regional offices. These offices are split into the "region" side, which houses corporate employees, and the "field" side, which houses claims employees. Agents are not employees of Allstate but independent contractors. An agent's staff is their employee and theirs alone. My experience was with a regional office as a corporate employee.

1. The people are extremely friendly--your co-workers truly want you to succeed and it does seem like they have an open cubicle policy; you're free to stop by and converse with co-workers in different departments and it's a common thing for people to stop by your desk.
    2. People are REALLY dedicated to Allstate--there were employees working with me that had been at Allstate for 20+ years. You can tell that they were in it for the long haul, and it made me want to stay there for as long as possible.
    3. Like many companies these days, they had small office wide contests or quarterly meetings in which we could win prizes or rewards like gift cards, pizza days, etc.
    4. Dress was pretty casual
    5. Benefits were alright
    6. The salary information was pretty easy to figure out--the information is available to all employees on the internal company homepage.
    7. Every young employee in the regional office is given a mentor.

Cons

These experiences were mine and mine alone, but I think they show a bit of a trend.
    1. As I said before, some people had been there for 20+ years. This turns out to be a MAJOR problem for young employees as there's not much movement upward if you work in the regions. Transferring to other regions is difficult because these people generally don't leave unless they are fired or retired. I found myself to be in a bad position at my region, and I was told to look for a job elsewhere in the company. I couldn't find one after months of looking because everyone stays for so long (except young employees).
    2. Many of these same 20+ year employees were often not competent at their jobs--I'm talking team managers that had been written up multiple times for their behavior and they're still in a position of management. Supervisors who can barely use computers training new employees. The majority of these people don't have bachelors degrees/never went to college, so you can tell that the standard has been raised among the new wave of young employees but not so much the older ones.
    3. The region faced hiring freezes for certain departments, which once again meant a lack of movement.
    4. The compensation was not great. Seriously, it was a big issue--I know at least 5 employees who left because of salary. Allstate just doesn't pay that much unless you start in the home office.

Now for why I left Allstate. Before I left I sent every email and IM that was ever directed to me or sent from me so I can back up the claims made below. I believe I had enough for an EEOC case but I instead went internally with my issues. I was told that action was taken.

When I started Allstate, I absolutely loved it. My co-workers warned me that I would see Allstate's problems down the road as I stayed at the company but I enjoyed the work I was doing and everyone was friendly. My first performance review went fantastic. My second performance review went fantastic. I was doing rotations through departments as part of a region leadership development program that was supposed to mirror that of Home Office's program.

Throughout that time, I experienced some casual racism and sexism. My manager wanting to touch my hair, for example. Or a male co-worker telling me to shut-up in front of co-workers when he asked a question no one else was willing to answer. I also had the experience of being called articulate, etc. As one of few minority female employees in my region, I expected this would be par for the course. Yet I continued to enjoy my experience at Allstate and I was given very good reviews. I was told my work was excellent, and that I was a great employee.

After six months, things began going downhill. I was improperly trained because my newest supervisor overestimated what I had done in my prior position. I asked for help multiple times and it was given, and my performance improved little by little. However other things started happening as once I was "on the radar" as a bad employee, everything I ever did was up for scrutiny.

My mentor let me leave early one day and didn't relay this information to my supervisor. I was dinged for it. Fair enough, I should have talked to my supervisor (though I did put the information on the team calendar). Then I was taking too long to IM though I responded within 5 minutes. Then I was walking in too late. Then I was told my 2 previous performance reviews weren't accurate--I actually performed poorly. Then the quality and quantity of my work became a problem. I tried to make up for this by working later hours and working more when I got home. I was reprimanded for this, and told to stop. Then I was dressing too formally for the department ( I wore dresses instead of jeans). Eventually it got to the point where I was 1) accused of stealing at a company outing I helped plan, 2) I was accused of cheating during a region wide contest that I was leading and that I had planned, 3) I was accused of being overly emotional and aggressive by "anonymous employees". It's also important to note that the incidents they cited as my bad behavior occurred about 3-7 months before I was told about it.

I asked to switch departments, and was told I couldn't. So I stayed and tried to give it my best effort. However once I was in the dog house I remained there. As I said above, the claims started piling up against me and came out of no where. Eventually I was told that no departments wanted me and I would be let go by the end of the year. I was placed in a different department to be "out of sight and out of mind" as my boss said, and I was given menial assignments. It's obvious that they weren't giving me work so I would quit. I started taking walks, but I was then told I was taking them either 1) too often, or 2) they were too long. I came to find out during a meeting that they basically had a 7-10 page dossier of my behavior that I was not allowed to read but accused me of everything under the sun. I was also not allowed to defend myself.

Eventually, I realized even my bathroom breaks were being monitored (their frequency and duration). Shortly after this I bounced and filed a complaint with their conflict resolution team. I was told that action was taken, but because I was no longer an employee they couldn't tell me what action was taken. I was also told that I could come back to Allstate at any time. To me this response suggests that I could have gone further with this case, but every one has had that one terrible job.

Advice to Management

Personally I believe middle management in the Northeast Region needs some serious work. Will it happen? Probably not. But recognize that for every 20 year employee you hold on to, you'll lose about 3-4 generation x'ers and millennials. Also, seriously work on diversity training.

"Senior leader"

I worked at Allstate full-time

Pros

Ethical, stable, solid benefits, and diverse career opportunities

Cons

Too bottom-line & short-term focused, trying to do too much with less, very demanding, limited work/life balance

"Agile Web Developer"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a web developer, the pay was very competitive.

Cons

The benefits were terrible for a company of its size. I saw many cases of sexual harassment or bullying get brushed under the rug by managers playing favorites. Learning and creativity ground to a halt for myself and others due to the stifling management and culture at the CompoZed Lab.

10. "Pretentious"

Current Employee - LSP in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - LSP in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work national focus local leaders

Cons

Cheap skates and lack of innovation

Advice to Management

Invest in IT and make all agency employees Allstate employees

Showing 3,247 of 3,434 reviews