Allsteel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Brandon Sieben

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefit package/profit sharing (in 6 reviews)

• Cool products and awesome office space (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Middle and upper management are clinically narcissistic or sociopaths (in 5 reviews)

• Arrogant dealers, local management treats employees poorly, No focus on work life balance, Untrustworthy and dishonest, bad environment (in 3 reviews)

1. "quality inspector"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Jackson, TN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Allsteel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good people management would listen to problrms,they kept drug problem down with spot checks

Cons

breaks were just 10 mins insteed of 15

Advice to Management

keep up good work

2. "Great work experience"

I worked at Allsteel full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial company, you get out of it what you put into it. Allsteel promotes a culture of trying new and different ways to succeed, and is supportive of their teams. Great people who work towards each other's success.

Cons

Allsteel is a lean organization, which makes business sense. The downside of this is that it poses a challenge for salespeople to be competitive in their markets.

Advice to Management

Improve professional development processes

3. "Great place to work as a Product Design Engineer (Other positions might be different)"

Current Employee - Product Design Engineer in Muscatine, IA
    Current Employee - Product Design Engineer in Muscatine, IA

I have been working at Allsteel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation for work load if you're a product design engineer working in a Headquarters building of an HNI company (other departments are different). I've had very good luck with managers over the years, although they switch people around pretty rapidly, so you can never get too comfortable. Projects can last a few months to a few years in the PE world - depending on if you're in New Product or Existing/Core Product.

Yearly reviews allow for merit-based increases (could be 0%-4%), which keeps pay somewhat competitive. Muscatine, IA is small, but there are bigger cities nearby if you don't mind a 25-45 minute commute.

Allsteel is trying to diversify their engineering department (specifically by hiring more women and POC), which I think is a must. I think HON (sister companies to Allsteel) is doing the opposite.

If you work in a plant, the quality of the work environment isn't as great as an HQ job. They spoil the HQ members since the HQ buildings are working showrooms, but they also have some rules you have to follow to keep your desk looking like a working showroom (so there are some trade-offs, but they are usually worth it).

If you get tired of a project or a position, just talk with your manager or the department manager about switching it up. Most managers understand and will work with you to make you happy... especially in the engineering world. I shouldn't speak for other departments on that though. A lot of people that I have worked with over the years have switched between production and product engineering, so it's pretty fluid. If you have goals that you want to meet (like becoming a lead engineer) and one of the managers sees that you could be a good fit, they will help you. All you need to do is have an open communication with your manager.

Cons

Leadership (upper management) can sometimes be a little frustrating, especially when they don't agree on something. You might rush to please one person, but then two others pop up and tell you to change it again, so then you change it again to please them, only to have four more people pop up and tell you to change it back to the way it was originally.

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice when I've had so many managers over the years. Most of them were fine (once I became acclimated to each). I really only had one or two who were very hands-off. That was when I first started at the company, which made it very difficult for me to learn. I got chewed out by one of them for doing something that he didn't agree with. I didn't really learn from the experience since he didn't tell me why he thought that way. That was also when I worked in one of the manufacturing plants.

4. "Kindof Crap"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I worked at Allsteel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool products and awesome office space. Some nice people. Interesting industry. They've done a lot to improve their work/life balance.

Cons

Everybody there is religious....and if you want to get ahead, you'd better go to the Calvary church in town. One of the VPs there used to be Catholic and would go to Catholic church. AND then he started going to Calvary and became a VP. So, just think on that.

It's also part of HNI so it's a big company. Expect lots of red tape, irrational decision making, and the continuation of white male privilege.

Also, tons of crazy office politics. People here talk about each other in the bitchiest way. It's in a VERY small town, so expect lots of small town behavior. There's a review here that compliments Muscatine as being a cute, small town. Stars Hollow, it is ABSOLUTELY not. It's cute if you think run down, empty buildings, rampant teenage pregnancy, and a strange amount of drug usage is cute. But hey, Muscatine just got a Panda Express in 2017 so things are looking up.

Advice to Management

Ehhh. Allsteel is so damaged that there's nothing I could say here to make it better. They want to be Herman Miller or Haworth without any idea how except knee-jerk decision making, murky VP orders, and yeah, tons of alpha males in charge.

5. "loved the products"

I worked at Allsteel (More than a year)

Pros

kind culture, very humble leaders, dedication to operational excellence

Cons

sometimes too conservative, felt you had to hide your "flaws"

6. "Forklift Operator"

Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Muscatine, IA
    Former Employee - Forklift Driver in Muscatine, IA

I worked at Allsteel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was overall a good job the people there was nice. I had enjoyed working there. nice hours, and a conformable safe working environment.

Cons

The staff was not supportive. The warehouse was not organized. Often employees had to make up work and stay over time due to poor staff and management. overall the the working environment was not professional.

Advice to Management

continue to improve the staffing there. try hiring employers with more working history. instead of educational history. and check up on the supervisor and team leads. [

7. "Supply Chain Analyst"

I have been working at Allsteel full-time

Pros

Allsteel pays well. Upper management is easy to get a hold of. They also have a tuition reimbursement which is great that they are willing to invest in there employee's. Great place to work!

Cons

The communication from department to department can be spoty. When you are new you get left in the dark on some issues. The way to fix is by constantly asking if you have missed.

Advice to Management

I think that the biggest advice I could give is that they really need to develop a training plan for new hires. Don't expect new people to know the lingo or what they are supposed to do without some guidance

8. "10/10 Recommend"

Pros

Allsteel was one of the best work experiences I have ever had. The members there are the epitome of midwestern friendly. It has all your midwest charm with just the right amount of corporate class. Gorgeous facility with a very down to earth leadership team.

Cons

It is located in Muscatine, but it is an adorable little town tucked away right on the Mississippi. It has all the basic necessities and honestly, if you are more of a city minded individual, the Quad cities and Iowa City are commuting distance.

9. "Average"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscatine, IA

I worked at Allsteel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dependable job with decent hours. Very limited OT. Training is ok

Cons

Must have a very good understanding of officer furniture and how products for together. Things are custom made and people in with questions

Advice to Management

More product training

10. "Great place to work"

Pros

Excellent work environment, exciting atmosphere

Cons

Too many people in charge.

Advice to Management

More in depth training