Ally Financial Reviews in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Lead Solutions Architect"

Current Employee - Lead Solution Architect in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Solution Architect in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ally Financial has a very friendly environment, and the benefits are very good. Management encourages input, and helps you perform well in your role.

Cons

Not many cons with Ally Financial, except that sometimes we need to work over the weekend for deployments, and the week before deployment tends to be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job with the one-on-ones and performance reviews, which are very useful to see where you stand, and how to better yourself in your role.

2. "The internship program is alright...."

Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial as an intern

Pros

Very good company. I have heard Ally has very good benefits.

Cons

Another internship where HR and the Business Units don't screen to make sure that the manager and the intern match. I know that in the real world one will have to deal with a bad manager but the difference with an intern is he or she doesn't have to stay. Once the internship is over, the bad experience can ruin the company's reputation. Just saying!

Advice to Management

Every intern desires a good manager, especially in an internship.

3. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Pricing Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for. Solid foundation. Coworkers were great and easy to work with. Lots of good people

Cons

No training whatsoever for this position. Basically left because of it

Advice to Management

Set up a true training program for new hires

"The work is fun, the people/ideology are not great...."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary - The benefits and pay were not all that bad - this is one of the only companies I have worked for that seems to be operating according to modern standards for pay in tech field. The bonus I received was laughable without any clear reasons given or even an explanation for how bonus was awarded - not the first time I have seen this so it wasn't as important to me. I'm not sure even my manager knew as she seemed really uncomfortable giving me the news, and quickly rushed me out after an encouraging "you can only go up from here" speech.

Facilities - This company is really looking to impress the youngins like myself, so they have extremely nice offices in headquarter locations. It was really weird to hear the people who had been in the Southfield office for 10 years complain to me about parking and having to drive to Detroit now when we worked in such a magnificent work space. People seemed to really hate the fact that they had to walk more than 2 blocks from a parking structure, but I considered this a plus.

Cons

Creepy/boring work environment - When I first started working in my team, I was surprised to find how awkward every meeting was. I don't think it was like this for every team, but the general mood of most of my team's interactions consistently oscillated between apathetic and inappropriately hostile. I got the immediate feeling that something was weird, but everyone was still trying to act normal in front of me, so I didn't find out the reasons until later. In a weird attempt at lightening the mood, my manager would often order people to discuss their personal vacation plans during meetings. After getting back from a vacation I had to reschedule due to my manager pressuring me to do so, she kept asking me to send her 3 of my favorite pictures without me having offered which I thought was kind of bizarre. I never did because I didn't think she needed to see my vacation pictures or show them to the entire team for that matter. It gets weirder because she then later dinged me in my performance evaluation for things that happened at work while I was on vacation. She had a poor sense of boundaries in general where she seemed to need to know about everything happening in your life to assess whether it was actually more important than your job. Another coworker after being asked about her vacation during a meeting, flatly responded that it was nice simply because she wasn't at work.

Management - After awhile, I realized that my manager had more far reaching issues with people skills. During task oriented sessions, she liked to blindside people with subtle accusations about their work without any previous communication. During my one on ones she would explain her frustration with her observation that people acted defensive during meetings, so she didn't seem to have any idea how her actions came across. When I suggested simple things like creating an agenda or making meetings more focused on individuals involved without involving everyone every time, she would acknowledge that I spoke and that's as far as it would go. It became a theme over and over again that my manager simply did not listen or retain information. If she forgot something someone had told her or the status of something, she would quickly get angry and blame a coworker who would then have to explain the last conversation on the topic for the 2nd or 3rd time. She had major trust issues and assumed that anything bad that happened was due to the ill will of some guilty party that needed to be ferreted out - she did not seem to understand or even entertain the idea that any breakdown was some fault of her own or just a crappy process (there were many). Much later she would tell me that she was working with her boss on "being okay with being wrong", so upper management appeared to be aware of an issue but did nothing about it.

In summary, this type of work environment made it unbearable to be there, and I soon realized why everyone acted and seemed so defeated in their interactions. The turnover within the group was high - I had replaced someone who had left the team for similar reasons and during my time there, someone else had transferred out of the team after having loud public arguments with the manager on the floor.

Advice to Management

Remove personality disordered management. This is not a training issue. It requires direct remediation.

"Ally on the surface, same ole GMAC under the hood"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great locations in both Detroit and Charlotte (newer building), sometimes competitive pay, feels like a young energetic environment, shared workout room, pretty good break rooms. Sometimes free parking uptown. Work life balance can be fair as long as you are in the right department. Plenty of chances to move up to middle management. Good at drawing some really talented and fun entry level people. Great benefits.

Cons

You hear Ally and you think modern online bank. Unfortunately, instead of being in tune with the pulse of modern society and technology, it's a lot of show and no go. The bank was stood up and for the most part has been left under warming lights like an old fast food burger. The luster wears off quickly as the old crusty GMAC interests creep in. Between the Detroit GMAC people who insist on doing things the same way that landed them in need of a rebrand to hide their shame and the Charlotte "leaders" who are too busy playing politics and pretending like they're still at Bank of America, things can get ugly. While pay can be competitive it can also be terrible with even worse raise/bonus policies. Politics is extremely heavy even at the ground level. Middle management is ridiculously thick with drama and executive management is tired and, again, crusty old school. While some of the pros are free parking and great primary offices, this only applies if you're in the main Detroit and Charlotte offices. Their other Charlotte locations do not have free parking and are dated and soul sucking. Work life balance, while as stated above can be great, can also be unrealistically bad. Culture looks good at first and the all hands calls ooze hr feel good buzz words and tactics however none of it ever amounts to anything. They sound like google but certainly don't behave like google.

Advice to Management

Avoid emulating Bank of America. Ally is too small and doesn't lend itself well to what works for BoA. Take a second look at your technology groups. Avoid letting non-technical people make technical decisions. Reconsider the low investment in Bank. Get with the times, get some younger more innovative upper management/executives, and thin out the middle management in favor of people functional employees. Finally, your H1B and offshoring practices are shameful. Obviously there is a place for these however they're being overused and used incorrectly, likely costing you more than they're saving in the long run.

6. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything from the CEO to our call center employees, everyone is down to earth, reasonable, and fun to work with. In Detroit we just moved into a new building and the open office concept is collaborative and fun to work in. Plus you get a lot of meaningful work (if you're good at your job) and nobody looking over your shoulder trying to micromanage your every move.

Cons

I don't have any real cons about the company. I've had overwhelmingly positive experiences thus far.

"Corporate politics."

Current Employee - Operations in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Operations in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment.
    Well paid
    Good management.
    Play the game of large corporate politics and you'll be just fine. Every other large company is the same. But this Ally is just a little bit better, a more tolerable than the rest.
    Stays above technology trends. And spends money like water on it, given a good reason.

Cons

Change management. Non technical people in a technical role making technical decisions.
    You must be a contractor before coming full time, to prove yourself. Could be a good or bad thing. It was a good thing for me.

Advice to Management

Remove all the silos at work together better.

8. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Applications Development Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Applications Development Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great in all aspects including work culture, ethics, work life balance.

Cons

so far no cons observed

Advice to Management

none

9. "AFI"

Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Ally Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good comp and benefits. Smart, hardworking workforce.

Cons

Duplicity within each corporate function / inefficient

10. "Like it here"

Current Contractor - Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Contractor - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Ally Financial as a contractor

Pros

Growing company but old - lots of old fashioned ways of doing work and therefore lots of potential to impress. Older staff overall so less management issues from inexperienced management.

Cons

Each unit is VERY different - some are relaxed and some can be very difficult. Internal structure is complicated to most incoming staff; responsibilities are across the board and changes are regular. You don't need to know politics to work and stay here, but you do need to be aware of the players and attitudes and changes.

Advice to Management

None