Ally Financial Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.1
Ally Financial CEO Jeffrey Brown
Jeffrey Brown
Pros
  • "Culture, work life balance, outstanding(in 76 reviews)

• "Work life balance and good benefits(in 75 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Nothing very good work life balance(in 34 reviews)

• "However, senior-upper management is working on addressing this by different means(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ally Financial and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Employee AND Customer Centric!

Jan 16, 2021 - Premier Customer Service Representative in Shoreview, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ally actually cares about their employees! In addition to their competitive pay and bonuses they have fantastic benefits that include medical, financial and well-being. I have worked for various industries in customer service call centers for many years and Ally is the first company that actually allows you to deliver awesome service to their customers by not placing highly restrictive call hold time requirements (I actually worked for a company that the AHT was 180 SECONDS per call!) A lot of companies say they want you to grow with the company but keep you stuck in the same position for years...Ally actually encourages you to grow by giving you the tools to master your current position and then move on to another unilateral or higher management position. When they speak of growth they are not just talking professionally... a lot of their benefits encourage personal growth through programs and classes to help you with everything from personal goals to family to financial goals. All levels of management are approachable and open to discussion on any professional subject. Ally celebrates and recognizes you as an individual and part of a team of professionals that represents the company... and the management team meets with everyone regularly (even the VP's and CEO) to get a pulse on the culture and over all well-being of their employees... they really do care and there are too simply too many awesome things to list here! If you are tired of not being seen or valued for what you bring to your company... give Ally a chance ...you be happy you did!

Cons

I don't know of any

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to work

May 6, 2021 - Associate Analyst in Lewisville, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

They really care about employees and having a life and work balance. Generous and flexible PTO, encourage volunteering by giving volunteer time off, work hard to make diversity and inclusion a focal point.

Cons

Some leadership within specific departments can be under qualified at times.

3. 2.0

Horrible health bebefits

Mar 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful coworkers that strive to support each other.

Cons

We have the most expensive and horrible health insurance plans that I've ever come across in my career. I have the PPO (costs me a bit over $3,000 per year for myself). Any doctor's visit is costing a fortune. Between the copay and coinsurance costs you really have to think twice before seeking medical help while working at Ally. At my previous job, the PPO cost the same but we had no coinsurance costs. At Ally, after meeting the annual deductible of $3,500 the PPO plan only pays 80% of medical expenses. So after paying $6,500 plus all office visit copays ($35 - $50), Ally's health insurance still forces us to pay 20% of all medical costs. That's enough to bankrupt most employees. At Ally, I just had a medication declined by Ally's health plan. I've been taking that medication since I was at my previous job and it was fully covered by that plan. It was never declined by my old job's health plan but Ally apparently thinks that I should die and be without my medication. That's never happened to me before, ever! I'm supposed to have intestinal surgery but with Ally's substandard PPO I will certainly be bankrupt. We don't have health insurance at Ally. What we have is a medical discount plan. Thankfully my wife works at my old job and she still enjoys their world class healthcare benefits. Honestly, I'm looking forward to returning to my old job as soon as a role becomes available.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company with great benefits

Apr 7, 2021 - Financial Analyst II in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture! Also, the benefits as part of the compensation. 4 weeks vacation for everyone, $100 student loan contributions monthly by the company to help employees pay down student loans faster, $100 contributions monthly to a 529 savings plan by the company, Employee Stock Purchase Program, stipend on your paycheck monthly if you don’t use the parking that is already free to you (one of the few companies in Charlotte that offers parking for free).

Cons

Possibly that it’s a smaller company than Wells or Bank of America so not AS much room for career growth as the other bigger banks may have. However, hasn’t personally been an issue for me and I do not plan on or have any desire to leave Ally.

Ally Financial Response

We love getting feedback from our employees. It makes our day! If you love working for Ally, please tell others! We love referrals from our own teammates.

5. 5.0

Salary

May 5, 2021 - Executive Customer Relations Specialist in Fort Washington, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are customer and Employee focused.

Cons

I didn't start here sooner

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture

May 6, 2021 - Senior Analyst - Model Validation in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice to employees, flexible time

Cons

I Do not notice yet.

7. 5.0

Great Company

May 4, 2021 - Systems Engineer in Charlotte, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

-PTO -Work/Life Balance -Helpful co-workers -PTO -Work/Life Balance -Helpful co-workers

Cons

-Fast paced environment -Fast paced environment

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Apr 27, 2021 - Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work! Excellent management

Cons

Re-orgs can be a little unexpected

9. 5.0

So far, so good

Apr 13, 2021 - Senior Analyst Business Systems in Lewisville, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, meetings start and end exactly when they're supposed to.

Cons

You can easily get bogged down by just how many meetings there are, which can sometimes make the act of making progress on your tasks feel like treading water.

10. 4.0

Good Company

May 7, 2021 - Customer Solutions Specialist in Lewisville, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

WFH opportunties, internet reimbursement hour lunch monetary incentives

Cons

training needs to be better, consistance managment,

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,054 Reviews