Almost Family Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Almost Family Chairman and CEO William B. Yarmuth
William B. Yarmuth

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management doesn't show much consideration for the concerns or needs of the average employees (in 15 reviews)

• Very high turnover, not compensated with market, and no raises given (in 10 reviews)

"out of pocket expenses"

Current Employee - Client Manager in Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Client Manager in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Almost Family full-time

Pros

Pays the bills, great co workers , nurses who really do care about their patients. Company is growing and going paperless. Company is also trying to communicate with staff by computer with trying a newsletter, updating their computer programs freq.

Cons

The repeat the Director word for word " Salary means 40 hours + weekly". Cell phone use encouraged and often told to "text" staff , by Director,about patients ect, But have to use own cell phone and only reimburised 25.00 monthy/. What about HIPAA, breaking every rule of that with personnal cell phones. Told to use pts intials , doe they even realize how many pts have same intials! Clinical managers seeing patients in field and suppose to do "day in life" just not possible. Stand up meetings always negitive, so their positive at the end, " keep up the good work",,, WHAT the hell? you just said we are not doing enough>>>> Directors does nothing to help. She sits in office and "barks" out the office for staff. She is always on her own cell phone. This company has unrealistic goals for staff and does nothing to help them.

Advice to Management

Get real... Maybe try " undercover Boss" or are you too afraid.

Feb 10, 2017 – Manager of Recruiting

To Client Manager, thank you for your feedback because we truly appreciate it. Reading over your cons it sounds like you are unhappy with your Director and the way she is communicating with the ... More

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people who work here.

Cons

I don't recommend this company for the long term. This company plays favorites and it isn't secure.

Advice to Management

A change of leadership is needed.

Dec 22, 2016 – Manager of Recruiting

To Anonymous Employee – Thank you for your insights. Being an employee of 5 years I am surprised that you do not feel the company is secure. Almost Family continues to grow and we are now the 3rd ... More

"They don't like their employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Almost Family full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a steady company

Cons

They put ZERO effort to keep employees. If you ask for a raise, they feel they can fire you and replace you with someone else at a cheaper cost. Their health benefits are one of the worst I've ever seen.

They are so old school that they still have paper time sheets.

Advice to Management

Start investing in your employees or you will be stuck in the stone age. There could be a lot of potential to grow but if you are more concerned with giving yourself raises and bonuses and screwing the people below you then this company will fail.

Mar 7, 2017 – Manager of Recruiting

To Current Employee: Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on working at Almost Family. I am shocked to see that you feel we put in zero effort to keep our employees happy. Almost ... More

"Home Care RN"

Former Employee - RN HOME CARE in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - RN HOME CARE in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Almost Family full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good clinicians work there.

Cons

Be careful before agreeing to a full time position. You will be expected to see patients beyond normal working hours, and over a usual full time quota. You will be told you only need to meet a certain amount of visits. You will be constantly be pressured to see more patients. If you do not, you will be told you are not meeting your expectations as a full time nurse, and to step down to per diem. . .then upper management will be contacted. They could care less about your free time. The administrator has been there only a few months, and she is leaving soon...and the job for full time nurse manager position has been open for months! Salaries below average and overtime not paid.

Advice to Management

Respect the work/home balance of employees!

6. "Direct Service Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleburg Heights, OH

Pros

Some employment is better than no employment.

Cons

Low pay. Unprofessional staff.

Advice to Management

Train office staff better. Communication could be much better. Staff not friendly on phone.

7. "sales"

Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Almost Family (More than 3 years)

Pros

learned a lot about the industry

Cons

way too much turn over. management needs help

"Case manager"

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in North Andover, MA

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay scale compared to other VNA's

Cons

travel area is too large, manager turnover very high, no computers for documentation, they don't care about their employees

Dec 4, 2015 – Director, Recruitment

To this anonymous Clinical Manager~ We are sorry to hear that you are somewhat unhappy with your position with us. It sounds like you have some very specific challenges that you feel you are ... More

"Case Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Almost Family full-time

Pros

Some of my coworkers made it tolerable to come to work.

Cons

Salary is not competitive, a lot of work and no real recognition. If you ever hope for raises or bonus, you can just forget about it.

Advice to Management

Look at the "little people", recognize their effort and hard work. Monetary compensation is not all that matter, although it is truly lacking, but the team effort recognition.

"Do not understand how they meet any state or federal compliance"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Almost Family part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can work as little or as much as you want

Cons

No concern for the patient/clients, no concern for the safety or welfare of their staff. Unfortunately schedule nasty, cigarette smoking home health aides/care givers to work with sick, elderly people.
    This company does not screen its staff well - and apparently, they need to do criminal background checks, drug tests, etc.
    I do not understand how they meet any federal or state compliance because the paperwork is so disorganized, there is little to no staff training, they let some people work 20 hours in a day and they do not listen to any complaints about staff who may be taking advantage of the clients financially.

Advice to Management

Drop in on your offices and survey your staff...... also institute drug screens, criminal background checks, and monitor your staffing hours.

"Family is not how they treat employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

It's a job what else can I say.

Cons

No raises in years, high work volume, benefits get worse every year, my department is always short staffed, management doesn't care about workers, zero communication, zero training

Advice to Management

Treat employees like you actually value them.