Alnylam Reviews | Glassdoor

"Politics, Politics, Politics...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time

Pros

Great, friendly, and hard working colleagues in R & D, IT, IP, and Facilities.

Cons

However, the rest of the company (and some of the more senior staff in the above departments) is all about politics and playing "the game." Also, if one has made any mistakes/missteps they hold on to that information and then bring it up in the annual reviews, instead of addressing the issues in a timely fashion and allowing one to learn and grow, or they hold on to the information in order to fire a staff member.

In addition, upper management expects the staff to be in the office/lab as late as they are, not taking into account that some of the staff come in early and some late based on the arrangement they have with their boss (the middle management). Complete lack of work/life balance.

Also, only management (i.e. those who have doors) receive yearly bonuses, no one else! Extremely elitist and hierarchical.

Advice to Management

Management should truly look to see who is doing the actual work, not just spinning it for their approval...

"contractor"

Former Employee - Contractor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam (Less than a year)

Pros

Promising future - good product and some very good people. Location is good too.

Cons

Horrible management - mean to employees - toxic

"Think Twice -Ignore the "Courtship" During Recruitment"

Pros

Company outings
    Beer social
    Benefits are typical
    Flexible work schedule
    Commuting benefits

Cons

Slow to change ( resistance at the top)
    Top heavy- mgmt. (very few people to do the work)
    Primitive systems (paper based)
    High volunteer turnover (including VPs and tenured staff)
    Indecisive /scared middle management
    Living ,"stuck " in the glory days of 10 employees
    Slow decision making -even for the smallest issue. This won't work whenever the company goes commercial.
    Cronyism at its best
    Little to no diversity in employees hired ( most are from the same 3 local Pharma/ biotech companies)
    Elitist leadership
    No opportunity for career growth due to being top heavy with Sr. Managers, Associate Directors, Directors, Sr. Directors, VPs and Sr. VPs
    No development of employees due to those in management stepping over each other for their own career growth
    Decisions are not made at the appropriate levels due to leaders that have micro management styles

Advice to Management

None as they are hard headed and resistant to change .
    Cronyism is the only thing that matters and it's killing the company and its culture. High volunteer turnover rates are a telltale sign of employee dissatisfaction . Pay attention! VPs and tenured (5-10 years )staff are dropping off like dead flies !

"Pure political enviroment"

Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Alnylam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Newer technology, flexible working schedule, good benefits, social hours every Friday.

Cons

No bonus except the director level. The promotion is based on your connections not your job performance.

"Management Needs a Wake up Call"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at Alnylam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy some of the people I work with and the pay is OK. The benefits are pretty good, but are comparable to all the other Pharma companies in the area.

Cons

Management is clueless to the needs of the normal everyday employee. There is a huge gap between the 2 groups, and this creates a divide in how everyone works together. Even though the company is growing there are no really opportunities to move to other departments or advance. There can also be a huge lack of respect within the office place, it all depends on who you know. There isn't a real work life balance. Employees are very rarely allowed to work from home, and even if you take a vacation day people will still call/email you and insist that you respond. They assume everyone is available at all times to work.

Advice to Management

Actually talk and get to know the needs of your employees. I had a meeting where the words "upper management does not care about us" were said out loud... that shouldn't be the case. People should feel like their voice matters and that they are respected within the organization.

"So much wasted potential"

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Alnylam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting science with tremendous potential to impact disease. Momentum from a few great years slowly fading away but still present.
    Truly great people were hired in the last couple of years but are now quitting in large numbers.
    If all the effort were focused in a useful direction it would lead to great things.

Cons

Upper management is living in a bubble. Very poor link between upper management and project teams. The only decisions that count occur when the three people that run the company are present. Everything is purely logistical and team strategy and recommendations are only correct if they are what top management wants.
    Incredibly slow at responding to employee feedback and concerns.
    Favoritism to the point of toxicity is tolerated for far too long.
    I was not ever as effective as the effort I was putting in due to management reacting to small bits of data every 2 months.

Advice to Management

Why hire experienced mid to late career people if you are just going to run roughshod over them. It would be more efficient to just outsource entire company if you don't trust your people to delegate any true responsibility to them.
    If you're not going to respond to the culture survey which points out big problems in a department with "sense of urgency" (Co. core value) why bother going through the motions - it's incredibly demoralizing.

"Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst."

I worked at Alnylam full-time

Pros

Compensation was good and liked my colleagues a great deal. It was a fast paced environment which could be attractive to some. The tuition reimbursement was a definite plus.

Cons

The fast paced environment leads to costly mistakes and stress that are not needed and completely preventable. Publicly traded biotech is unstable and Alnylam is not immune. Supposedly management cut deep during the first layoffs (2010) so they would not have to repeat anytime soon. Then in early 2012, another 33% of the workforce was cut. The vesting schedule on stock options was not helpful. Work/Life balance was becoming questionable when I left.

Advice to Management

Slow down

"Dynamic fast-paced environment, aggressively prosecuting a novel therapeutic technology"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Strong scientific rigor, very dynamic environment, compelling new technology, good fiscal management, heavily matrixed organization that demands good team play and collaboration

Cons

ALNY is aggressively seeking clinical POC for the RNAi therapeutic platform. The intense race toward clinical results often means that research around better understanding the fundamentals of the technology are deprioritized. Target selection also feels rushed and premature at times.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook mechanistic research around targets and delivery systems as this provides a strong foundation for problem solving later in clinical development.

"Loved the people!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Alnylam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely loved my group! The culture there was awesome!
    My group was like my second family. I will miss them.

Cons

We went through two restructurings with no warning...need I say more?

Advice to Management

Share with the employees more of what is going on with the big picture.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Consultant Scientist in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant Scientist in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Alnylam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are treated well. Very well compensated and flexible hours. Never micromanaged!

Cons

Nothing I can think off!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I wish to join this company again!