Alper Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Alper Services as an intern

Pros

Alper is an overall great place to work. I've only been here a short time (2 months about) and I could not be happier with my experience. As a young person new to the insurance industry, I came in with very little knowledge of the inner workings of the business. However, the people here are the reason I did not flounder. They worked constantly in a friendly yet efficient way to educate me as well as guide my experience here to understand the business as well as grow on my own. It's truly been a joy to work here. The people are incredibly kind, the work they do is very proficient, and my experience has been overall satisfactory. The work environment is also very positive. It's casual in nature but the work performed is very serious.

Cons

I have no cons with working here. It has been a great experience.

2. "Refreshing"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alper Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is my 6 month at Alper Services and just under 2 years in the Health Benefits Industry, while I have learned a lot in my short time in the insurance industry I also have a lot to learn. Alper has provided me an opportunity to fine tune the skills I brought with me and also to learn new skills. Customer service here is paramount, and the support from management and executive staff is encouraging. I am respected for what know and supported in the areas where I have little to no experience. This truly a team of experts and I am honored to be a part of it.

Cons

The firm is larger and most known for its Property and Casualty division, the Employee Benefits Team is small, this can cause busy times to be stressful at times but it also provides an opportunity to learn and exercise new skill sets. There is no parking, which can be difficult at times.

Advice to Management

I would advise management and the executive team to continue to look for innovative ways to acquire new talent that can be cultivated into Alper's Culture but also bring a fresh perspective to the organizations tried and true practices.

3. "Excellent Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alper Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the family-like culture. I came from a corporate setting and it is refreshing to see how much this company values their employees. A few months ago, there was a huge snowfall in our area, and our CEO went around the office and thanked everyone personally for coming to work. Wow. The Management team is phenomenal. The company promotes a team environment. Everyone is valued here. I can't say enough good things about this company and the people who work here.

Cons

I have not experienced any negative aspects of this company.

Advice to Management

Great job!! It is so nice to feel valued.

4. "Vendor"

Pros

This is a mid-sized company

Cons

Management is unprofessional and lacks integrity. They do not honor binding contracts/ agreements and they change terms when it suits them best. Payscale is below market and they are just plain cheap as an employer, unwilling to negotiate so parties both feel like they win. Would not pursue employment with them or work as a vendor with them.

Advice to Management

Retrain on ethics, integrity and professionalism. Better yet, clean house and start fresh.

"No career growth!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alper Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The river north location and free coffee

Cons

There was no training program. I was considered an "experienced professional" so apparently that meant I knew all of this particular agency's processes and quirks. There is an expectation to work around the clock and I literally do mean around the clock as in before work, after work, and on weekends. Most new hires typically last 1-2 years max. The work environment is depressing, everyone works in cubes or offices. There is little to no interaction among employees because your workload is too immense to even think about socializing a little. Also, forget about career growth! The majority of management has been there years and they don't plan on leaving anytime soon yet alone developing new/young talent at the agency. There is a review and bonus program in place, which is for show. It's nice to tell potential job candidates these things but in reality, the bonus program is unattainable and the review process is a joke. The company does not give raises based on merit but whether they feel like it. For example, one year nothing was given and the next year they gave everyone the same raise, which wasn't even equal to inflation.

In case I haven't painted a dim enough picture already, here are some other things to consider...the salaries are low, benefits aren't that great, company meetings are held on your lunch hour, management and producers will talk down to you and treat you as if you are a child, extreme micromanaging, and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 1960's office mentality, this isn't Mad Men. Train, develop, and educate your employees.

"No training and poor compensation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alper Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of was the location.

Cons

There was a severe lack of training for my position. I was interviewing for a totally different position than they hired me for. So, when it was time to be trained I was learning from someone who was leaving and had no desire to see if I was actually internalizing what she was telling me.

Also, the salaries suck and there is no talk about how well you are doing or moving on in the company. Senior management tends not to show up at all most days so you are left to fend for yourself.

The offices are old and stuffy. Everyone works in little dark cubicles and there is no interaction between employees.

Advice to Management

Work on your training program and advancement opportunities