Alpha Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 30, 2018

3.5
Bryan Locker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, mostly skilled and motivated" (in 3 reviews)

• "Clean and safe manufacturing environment" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is out of touch and isolated from the rest of the employees" (in 2 reviews)

• "One of the worst place I ever worked" (in 2 reviews)

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Power Systems Engineer in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Power Systems Engineer in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits, great flexible work schedule, the ability to work from home, flexibility on travel, nice reimbursement plans, bonus plan and a bunch of really great people from all backgrounds which means it is a very diverse and friendly group. I really enjoyed it there and recommend this company to anyone wanting a step up in life. The benefits are a lot better than small mom and pop companies that is sure and they do give their employees the time they need to see their families for those that are on the road (such as installers) Now this is just my experience, others may have experienced different things.

Cons

Based on your expertise you could be faced with heavier than normal work load. Best if you try to keep overtime down to a minimum or you'll find yourself burning out. Process development in some groups could be enhanced

Advice to Management

Get a plan and have team meetings that are constructive toward a process and listen to the more experienced folks.

"Poor Management, Great Co Workers"

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time

Pros

Friendly, clean, and safe work environment.
    Best co-workers I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Cons

Management are jerks - let me tell you my story

When I started working at Alpha, Management took a hands off approach. I think this was because my department had alot of very experienced staff who could run the department without alot of management oversight.

However, Management started getting more involved citing "the need to improve KPIs" (key performance indicators). Management started to micromanage more and more of the department and their decisions made things worse and worse. Management refused to work with us - we tried to help them - we tried to make things right.

Why? 2 Reasons. The first is that Management are a pack of Cultists to "lean manufacturing" despite not knowing anything about manufacturing! It is "The Emperor Has No Clothes" level absurd. The second reason is that Management is broken up into different tribes that fight for year-end bonuses.

TL;DR
    The has fallen to 'The Iron Law of Bureaucracy'. All Management cares about is Their power.

Hopefully things have improved.

Advice to Management

Stop fighting one another! You're on the same team and should work together!

Hire Managers who understand department they're managing - preferably people from within that department.

3. "Standard Fare"

I have been working at Alpha Technologies full-time

Pros

Great people, mostly skilled and motivated. Lots of parking. Lots to learn and casual management, depending on the section. Many career employees. Men do well here.

Cons

Management is mostly men; support staff mostly women. Very little opportunity for advancement and not much collaboration or teamwork beyond what gets on the wall posters. Spartan lunch room. Pressure to perform and high responsibility but low wages.

Advice to Management

Don't get the impression they are interested in any advice.

"Decent entry-level job, not good for long-term growth"

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Opportunity to work with diverse groups of smart people (who deserve to get paid more but don't),
    data and numbers driven company
    cool events including company holiday party with prizes, Halloween decorating competition, summer BBQ, and company-wide shutdowns (days off for most people) for downtime in the summer and winter
    Decent benefits package with 401k and employees usually get a profit-sharing bonus at the end of each year
    Good opportunity to learn technical processes within a business

Cons

Upper management is out of touch and isolated from the rest of the employees. They have little understanding of who their employees are, what their employees actually do and how hard they work.

The pay is below average unless you're a top executive or in sales and it's very difficult to get promoted. If you do, you will receive minimal extra compensation.

The managers are quick to give extra responsibilities to employees who are already very busy, but they don't reward them with extra pay or upward movement in the company

The upper management has a mentality that screams "that's the way we've always done it" and isn't super interested in thinking outside of the box to improve things

Although there is good teamwork and morale between employees, and a lot of good people, company has an above average amount of toxic people who create drama. Stay away from them and you'll be fine

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees, not just the top level managers and executives. Some of us have been working for you for a while and you probably don't know our names or what we actually do. Listen to new ideas and think out of the box. Take the time to understand what everyone does, including the lower level employees.

"Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worklife balance is great. Being able to work in an autonomous manner but definitively in a team atmosphere. Coworkers are exceptional.

Cons

Do not value educational accomplishments unless you are in top management and no room for growth. Top mangement are new and have no clue of a cultural atmosphere. Downward spiral. So sad because this is a great place.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you chooze to see through lens that are npr clouded by words. Actions are important and keeping those in leadership that are not committed to your bottom line or interest is wayward to disastrous means.

"Worst place to work"

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time

Pros

The coworkers are nice people

Cons

The management doesn't care about people they treat you like slave and at the end you get 2% raise the insurance is way too high and there's no short or long term disability for employees only management have it but we do all the physical work

"Not a Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay opportunities for young employees. Good place to build resume and go elsewhere.

Cons

Extreme office politics, negative morale, poor compensation, terrible management, poor communication, HR whose sole interest is with the company and not the employees.

Advice to Management

Work to retain your employees by paying fairly and investing in them. It makes business sense.

8. "Alpha Tech"

Former Employee - Test Technician II in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Test Technician II in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Alpha Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly Coworkers and good Christmas bonus

Cons

Lower end pay scale for assembly and testing

Advice to Management

Listen more to workers

9. "Great Company"

I have been working at Alpha Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alpha is a great company to work for.

Cons

Communication flow needs to be improved

"Applications Engineer"

Pros

A very diverse product portfolio. I had plenty of opportunities to handle and get experience on the many products and applications where they can be used. This was a good place to get started in the back-up power industry.

Cons

Pay is an issue, of course where I was working had a higher cost of living than where corporate headquarters is located. However, this was known when I first hired on. What I don't understand is how some folks who do not have much experience in this industry seem to think that they are entitled to so much more...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the differences in COL and the market of labor from which you are hiring