Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great mission, employees happily volunteer for events, good leadership (in 15 reviews)

• Great people to work with and for a great cause (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance needs to change (in 19 reviews)

• I think the only con is that cancer is still present the salary is to be expected with a non-profit (in 6 reviews)

1. "Liaison"

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

The mission and vision of ALSAC / St. Jude makes it a great place to work.
    We do what we love and love why we do it!

Cons

The decision making process is a bit long and complex .

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

I have the opportunity to work alongside some of the most talented and passionate people I have ever worked with. I have previous experience working in both the public and private sector and this is by far best corporate environment that I have been a part of. Leadership truly cares about its people and they work hard to inspire and motivate their teams/divisions.

The mission of ALSAC and St Jude speak for itself this is truly an incredible place to work.

There is a strong focus on professional and personal development and leadership.

Cons

While the salary ranges are not often in line with other large local companies, the organization they make every attempt to make the total compensation package comparable. leadership goes above and beyond to make this an amazing place to work and there are often perks given throughout the year to show employee appreciation.

3. "Top notch nonprofit leading digital innovation"

Current Employee - Content Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Content Specialist in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An amazing, genuine, intelligent CEO; countless professional development opportunities; competitive salary (for profit and nonprofit alike); the best health insurance you can get; innovation and digital transformation happening here; not to mention the satisfaction in raising money so that patient families never receive a bill from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital for anything.

Cons

as far as it being a lean, mean, agile space for rapid innovation and a flat org structure, it's not there yet, but on its way. If you want to be a part of something huge, not an issue.

Advice to Management

chill on the core hours

4. "Sr. Event Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Event Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Event Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing mission. Great people to work with that have become life long friends. I learned so much from my years at St. Jude

Cons

The work-life balance needs to change.

"Inspiring Company - Great Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

Can see the impact of my efforts daily in the faces of patients and families at the campus in Memphis. Colleagues truly care about the organizational mission - and it serves as a true rallying point day-in/day-out. Leaders are highly engaged in the overall (and unprecedented) success of the fundraising efforts. When travelling to events, the enthusiasm for the mission and the overwhelming support of donors from all walks of life and from all manner of communities is really inspiring.

Cons

No immediate cons to offer. I've worked with several other organizations over the years and all have unique cultures and quirks; but nothing that can't be adjusted to easily at ALSAC.

Advice to Management

Key challenge going forward will be in sustaining success of the fundraising efforts given the need for research, trials, medicines, along with practical issues such as housing construction and additional staff for growing programs and partnerships. Growth is great, but also presents management challenges that have to be addressed along the way.

"Rewarding work"

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

It is incredibly important for me to work at a place where I feel connected to something larger than myself. If you are looking for a place to work where you will feel purpose and passion, look no further than ALSAC. I enjoy the camaraderie with my colleagues who share similar views that our work is more like a calling than a job. I also appreciate the number of programs, campaigns and events because it brings variety to the job and allows for creative thinking.

Cons

Favorite part of the job is getting to know patient families but the heart-wrenching part of the job is the reality that one in five children do not survive childhood cancer. This sad fact motivates me to do whatever I can to support the St. Jude mission: Finding cures. Saving children.

"Impressed with "people first" focus and managements focus to continually improve things for the field."

Pros

Very surprised at any negative reviews for ALSAC. I was at a national "sister charity" for 12 years - in management for 10 years - and hired so many individuals from other charities (and heard the stories of how those charities were run). So I have a good viewpoint to compare charities. I've been at ALSAC for about 2 months and am very impressed with their openness to hearing and trying new ideas to improve processes, as well as staff experience. And their focus on work/life balance isn't lip service. Management does recognize the field staff works hard and long hours, and wants to help them empower themselves to take comp time off when it serves them best. Not just when it's best for the organization. The CEO regularly gives additional paid days off around holidays. Benefits are amazing and there is a culture of caring and helping your colleagues that is above other charities. Of course, the mission drives everything we do and is so tangible. It definitely does inspire me and staff.

I just saw Glassdoor feedback about the "cult" atmosphere: Every charity has (and needs to have) some sort of "drink the kool aid" culture because that develops passion in staff. Passion equals greater meaning in work, and meaningful work is what you find every job seeker is looking for. So I take that comment as a compliment.

Cons

This is a billion organization so there are many intricacies on processes and how to get things done. But it is no different than how billion dollar for-profits are run. The good thing is they just rolled out a new onboarding process that gives you time to learn the organization before expecting you to be ready to perform in the field.

"Supervisor"

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time

Pros

ALSAC/St. Jude has an amazing mission.

Cons

This is a competitive, challenging and fast paced environment

Advice to Management

Be prepared to mentor your team and provide career development support.

"A great place to work supporting a meaningful mission"

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a rare thing to find a job that is challenging and meaningful. Not many people are fortunate enough to go to work every single day knowing that they are making a difference in the lives of children fighting deadly diseases. When you work at ALSAC, the fundraising and awareness organization for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, you know with certainty that your work matters. It matters to the children diagnosed with deadly diseases. It matters to the parents who would mortgage their lives and declare bankruptcy to save their children's lives, but who don't have to because they will never receive a bill from St. Jude for anything. And it matters to the doctors and scientists who don't have to wait for insurance company approval or government grant to provide the best treatment possible or conduct the pioneering research that will save precious lives. The employees of ALSAC make that possible. I am honored to work here.

Cons

Yes, it's demanding work, and we work hard. But we work hard because there are literally lives on the line. Our leaders demand excellence, and they push us to do our best. Those kids deserve nothing less.

Advice to Management

Explore a year-round performance review system.

Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital Response

Jun 30, 2017 – Vice President of Communications

Thank you so much for your comments.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Alsac - St. Jude Children's Research Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for this organization is absolutely amazing. The mission is everything it claims to be and more. Also, you cannot beat the benefits and opportunities for extra training and professional growth are outstanding.

Cons

There are not really any downsides to working here except that it is a non-profit so the pay is less than a for-profit would be, but that is expected with the non-profit sector.