Alston & Bird Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alston & Bird Managing Partner Richard R. Hays
Richard R. Hays

Pros
  • Great benefits here - plenty of PTO, schedule flexibility, and partner support (in 11 reviews)

• I work a reduced full time schedule, which provides me with an excellent work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cons are true across all of biglaw - no work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• All big law firms are demanding environments, but A&B tends to care more about quality of life (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place for young associates"

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC

I worked at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, very hard working office but also fun.

Cons

Any large law firm will require long hours and hard work; this is no exception.

2. "Mixed feelings about working here."

Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Litigation Paralegal in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work for the most part. Some supportive and team oriented co-workers. Pretty good benefits. Decent internal resources and support from other offices.

Cons

A lot of politics and favoritism. Not family friendly in my experience. Staff are treated differently than attorneys, and are undervalued and not always appreciated.

Advice to Management

Apply policies equally to everyone.

"RTA Office desperately needs to be restructured"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This place has great benefits, good salary, and some, I said some very hard working, knowledgeable people.

Cons

Management is to worried about people pleasing to the demise of the office. They need to be much more present (showing up at 9 or 9:30am and leaving at 4 on a fairly regular basis don't work), and realize that all of the hard working people are leaving the firm because of management not doing their job. Employees come in late and leave early because there is no manager there. IT IS COSTING THE FIRM MONEY. I think punching a time clock would help. Also, much favoritism is shown and there has been a lot of turnover due to this. The office ran like clockwork until 4 or 5 years ago, but has gradually started to fall apart. If there is not some serious restructuring, accountability, and monitoring, the office is going to be the laughing stock of RTA. Other firms are hearing about the dissatisfaction and reaching out taking the hard working/knowledgeable employees.

Advice to Management

Please get a grip on this office. People are leaving early, coming in late, and that is costing the firm and really making a lot of us disgruntled. Morale is low and everyone is unwilling to speak up for fear of retribution from management. Many former employees of our office would have stayed if there was any sort of leadership and accountability.

5. "A great to work"

Former Employee - Project Agency in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Agency in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alston & Bird part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office in Atlanta and great supervisor. A very nice place to work

Cons

compensation needs to be competitive.

"A&B Top Echelon"

Former Employee - Legal Receptionist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Legal Receptionist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very productive Law Firm to work for, and enjoyed my years of tenure working with a great support staff, they've became like family. This firm is always looking to give back to it's community whether it's volunteering with multiple charities to celebrations for employees. This is definitely one of the best firms to work for!

Cons

The unfairness sometimes of the Admin / HR staff when it comes to promotion.

7. "Nice work environment"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Alston & Bird (Less than a year)

Pros

Great view at the building. Nice work environment. Competitive pay.

Cons

Only temporary. Eligible for benefits like health insurance only after 6 month with a average 30 hrs of work each week.

8. "Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Alston & Bird full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are very smart and capable attorneys here. There is plenty of good and sophisticated work to go around.

Cons

There is plenty of work and it is good work but sometimes the hours are insane. I worked on two gigantic deals back to back last year and it nearly broke me.

Advice to Management

Hire more associates.

9. "Great law firm with exceptional people providing top legal service and a quality lifestyle"

Former Employee - Vice President Realogy & GC Coldwell Banker Real Estate LLC in Madison, NJ

I worked at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large firm, top legal minds, nice balance of doing quality legal work but having quality personal time and life with family and friends.

Cons

Size of the firm sometimes contributes to decreased communication, but overall firm strives to keep all members of the firm informed of new developments.

"Great as far as big law goes ... but still big law"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The most obvious pros are the pay, the benefits, and the friendliness of colleagues. People work very hard there, which can obviously be stressful, but attorneys there have -- generally -- a commitment to treating each other with basic decency.

Cons

The hours are easily the biggest con. Then again if you expected to work 40 hour work weeks at a law firm ... you probably aren't smart enough to be working at one in the first place.

11. "A Progressive Law Firm and Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alston & Bird full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A truly diverse and progressive firm that cares about its' employees and offers tremendous benefits for employees who are high performers and produce quality work. Salaries and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Work life balance is somewhat difficult to achieve in this fast paced environment; however the firm promotes maintaining balance by encouraging employees to stay active, eat healthy, and serve their communities.