Alta Resources Reviews | Glassdoor

Alta Resources Reviews

Updated September 25, 2018

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Alta Resources Chairman & CEO James F. Beré Jr.
James F. Beré Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule, busy and nice office environment" (in 19 reviews)

• "The managment of the company are great people and approachable" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible management, bad communication, low pay, unfair treatment" (in 13 reviews)

• "I wish there was some more room for growth" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Consumer Care Senior Advisor"

Current Employee - Data Accuaracy Senior in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Data Accuaracy Senior in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Alta Resources full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been the BEST job I have ever worked at. I’m treated like a human being here compared to most places I have worked at in the past. I have made numerous friends while working here. Leadership on my team has recognized me since the day I started. I started as a consumer care phone rep and made my way to a Data Accuracy Senior Rep and am loving it. There are always chances for moving up if you put time and effort in to trying and showing you actually care here. Depending on which team you are on also you do have NUMEROUS chances for overtime. Every year there areannual raises if you qualify by meeting the requirements. There are also opportunities for raises a different times before or after this. I would definitely recommend working here.

Cons

Things do change often but that is part of life and any work place. I honestly can’t thjnk of any other cons of working here.

Advice to Management

My advice is to keep doing at what you are doing. Maybe get Advisor and Senior Advisor feedback more often.

2. "Customer Care Rep"

I worked at Alta Resources part-time

Pros

Good Benefits and Point System/ Sick Pay.

Cons

Sloppy uneducated Team Leads and Senior Reps who partake in favoritism, non inclusive, nor a work place for diversity.

Advice to Management

Learn to be consistent when you decide to be a leader, immature bullies that don't pay attention to the client/companies business need, rather than focusing on when an agents is picking their nose.

3. "Okay for what it is"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Alta Resources full-time

Pros

Better pay than anywhere else. So-so with working around your school schedule. Fairly easy interview.

Cons

Favoritism is everywhere. Interview is too easy so almost anyone gets hired- including people with no brain.

4. "It is a great job for what it pays! I'm a claims and billing specialist, they just don't always communicate well"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Alta Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You sit down all day and get paid for it, and I genuinely enjoy helping people, and also helping them understand how their insurance works. I knew nothing when I started this job...I didn't know what a deductible was but they do a great job training if you just take it in and pay attention, take notes! It'll only help you.

Cons

When it is off season, they drop you down to like 30 hours unless you want to work the night shift every night. They don't accept doctor's notes, and they have a point system as penalty for missed days.

Advice to Management

Two screens. We need it.

5. "Email/phone rep"

I have been working at Alta Resources part-time

Pros

Growth opportunities for the selected few.

Cons

Favoritism is often seen. In which positions are given. They selected a candidate with less experience and spent less time with the company because they were young and pretty. Sad but true

Advice to Management

Give everyone a fair opportunity, go by experience not looks

6. "The company has no open door policy, theirs favoritism. Unable to advance if the project manager dislikes you."

Pros

Nothing really positive to say

Cons

Too many to list here

Advice to Management

Get a variety if personalities

7. "Social Media Specialist"

I worked at Alta Resources part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Benefits (401K)
    Experience in different fields
    Good beginner job

Cons

Pay
    Leadership (TL's don't know how to treat their employees)
    Overbearing workload
    Favoritism
    No growth
    No consequences to those people who don't do their job

Advice to Management

Train their team leaders to treat their employees better
    Work on the pay issues as this is the main reason why people are leaving
    Reward the great employees who work hard and go above and beyond
    Remove people who do the bare minimum job so those who actually work hard don't feel like they are doing others jobs. This is extremely frustrating.

8. "Sales"

Pros

Location was good. Clean office

Cons

Terrible management, bad communication, low pay, unfair treatment

Advice to Management

Pay more, hire people with skill

9. "Good and bad"

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Neenah, WI

Pros

Great people, good hours for the most part, and really flexible

Cons

The pay is not great and raises are predetermined.

Advice to Management

none

"You'll walk in a Pollyanna and walk out an Ebenezer Scrooge"

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Brea, CA

I worked at Alta Resources part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Fairly clean and spacious office with a pleasant outdoor area
    * Depending on the department, a welcoming environment with co-workers who are willing to assist you

Cons

* Low pay
    * Uninformed, inexperienced management communicated poorly with client and agents
    * Too much politics in leadership put a strain on what little opportunities for advancement one might have

To add:

I should preface this review by stating that this applies solely to the department I worked in as a Customer Care Representative. Other departments might be stellar, but I cannot say for sure since I was not a part of them. Looking back, working in my department was not a great, or even good, experience and I would have to fault management for that.

Things started poorly from the very beginning. The Customer Care position was advertised as E-Mail Only on job posting sites but as soon as they had ensnared -- I mean, hired -- enough agents, they did a complete about-face and informed us that all new hires would be answering inbound phone calls as well. Mind you, some of these people had absolutely no call center experience, had made that known during their interviews, and had been hired by management with that little detail in mind. It became clear to me after a while that their interview process was more of a bureaucratic formality, their vetting process near non-existent, so that they will hire just about anyone as an agent/representative since the turnover rate is so high.

There was two weeks of training, during which they attempted to familiarize new hires with the client, the software, and the call center environment (mostly failing in these attempts). Once the two weeks were up and agents were thrown on the Production Floor, the vast majority felt they were not adequately trained or equipped to handle any call or inquiry that came their way. Once on the Floor, you were bombarded with hundreds of emails detailing information you were to commit to memory near-instantly, made to answer an incessant stream of calls, and received regular warnings about not "deviating" from your schedule (which consisted of two 15 minute breaks and a half-hour lunch, with 6 measly minutes reserved to leave your desk -- yes, even going to the bathroom is subject to this draconian itinerary). Having your cellular phone in plain sight could result in a verbal warning, a dismissal, or (for repeat offenders) termination. Naturally, leadership was exempted from this rule and were frequently caught happily text messaging away both on and off the clock. As for the emails agents were supposed to respond to (hence avoiding dealing with inbound calls)... those were reserved for certain agents that leadership felt like assigning the task to. Most of the department was kept on a part-time schedule, with full-time reserved for whoever management felt like bestowing it upon. Some people worked shifts like 5:00am-1:30pm or 12:30pm-8:00pm. When I tried to get my hours changed, my Team Lead threatened to cut my hours dramatically as a preemptive measure. Other suggestions, such as adding additional minutes to Away from Desk time, were under perpetual "consideration" (that means no).

I had always been something of a Pollyanna so when I heard whispers about favoritism my initial (naive) response was to reject it as poppycock -- surely there was no way our departmental leadership would be so unprofessional in their dealings with agents. Yet, as weeks and months went by, this favoritism became glaringly obvious. I watched as far more qualified, ambitious, and punctual agents were taken for granted while "Team Leader's Pets" were over-rewarded, over-compensated, promoted to leadership positions, and, if caught doing something irresponsible or not in accordance with company compliance, were gently chided whereas others who weren't on leadership's good side would be severely reprimanded. As aforementioned, emails were assigned to capable agents that were on good terms with leadership. Leads were cognizant of the fact that email duties meant that you did not have to answer inbound calls. What's more, they played favorites by designating select agents as "Floor Walkers" who would ostensibly assist other, more inexperienced agents in acclimating to the job, but in reality was simply a "free pass" that allowed them to chit-chat, answer a question or two, and spend the rest of their time wandering around while other agents responded to calls and emails.

The leaders in my particular department seemed to have an ax to grind with those who they felt might eventually become their competition. They didn't like too much ambition, or someone whose attendance and adherence were perhaps too peerless because they're looking out for Number One -- themselves. When some of the more competent agents would figure something leadership couldn't on their own, or do something to impress the Program Director in some way, you could hear the sound of their blood boiling, and rest assured, those agents would earn a prominent position on their blacklist. Incentive prizes -- typically outdated portable DVD players or third-rate digital tablets -- were frequently doled out to individuals in good standing with the Team Leads (although agents were expected to believe their declaration that the prizes were determined by metrics and survey responses -- on several occasions, they were given out to people who had hardly responded to any calls or emails for that week).

Several months after enduring this nightmare, I applied for a position with another company, had an interview (a legitimate 2-part interview, not the 2-minute one Alta Resources conducted), was offered the position, accepted, and left the company without looking back. So I walked in a Pollyanna but walked out a very jaded Ebenezer Scrooge (except that, in Dickens' A Christmas Carol, the latter amassed a considerable sum of money -- something one won't be able to accomplish with Alta's biweekly paychecks. Bah, humbug!). In a way, this was actually a good thing -- it alerted me to office politics and ensured that I'd never fully trust management no matter where I would end up in the future. I suppose that might be the one thing I can thank Alta Resources for.

Advice to Management

* Find a way to increase the pittance that your employees receive as compensation
    * Dial down the increasingly blatant favoritism
    * Reconsider hiring or promoting un(der)quailfied people in leadership positions