Alta Vista Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Cook

"Structural Materials Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Materials Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Materials Engineer in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Alta Vista Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an SMR I have had several opportunities to work on various sized projects ranging from small in size and value to mega projects. The amazing part of my job is the support from both my managers and the clients. Alta Vista has definitely made the investment in growing their staff and the clients really appreciate it. It is nice to hear comments from clients that this is the best consulting firm they worked with, and also recognize the good work.

One other thing that I really like about Alta Vista is their weekly company wide conference call. During which the executives give an update, announces the winners awards. But the most I like about this weekly call is the AVS 360. It is a five minute update that is given every week by a different employ about their daily work. What a creative way to engage the whole company.

Cons

The job with Alta Vista is definitely not for everyone. This is a high performing team with all high achievers. That is what makes it challenging for most but the lazy ones seem to complain about the work life balance. The company offers so many options and opportunities to take advantage of. If you are achieving your goals the company is very quick to recognize your hard work and announce it to the entire company.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing right. These innovative ideas of keeping all staff engaged are great, the weekly call, the photo of the month awards, the mission and goals awards, the picnic, the holiday parties and in and on are great. The work life balance is over rated and it seems to be an excuse for the less performing staff. One more thing that Alta Vista does is when one of team decides to leave for whatever reason even if they are going to a competitor, they still recognize the person leaving and through a great farewell lunch.

May 27, 2016 – President

I agree that we need to be true to who we are; however, we also need to make sure we are balancing the needs of our clients with the needs of our AV-ators. We have a great team but don't want to get ... More

"Please read thoroughly before consideration"

I worked at Alta Vista Solutions full-time

Pros

I was an engineer here for over a year. The company hires great people and generally everyone is friendly and easy to get along with. I met some great people here who are full of potential.

Cons

"The clients come first, even if it's at the expense of our employees"

I feel like this should be the company motto. If it's easier to side with the clients and blame a single person, they'll do it. Once you are disliked by the client or even one manager, you might as well say goodbye to any opportunity that could have come your way. It's true that first impressions matter a lot, but that shouldn't dictate the perception of you or your professional growth forever. Also, this company is so huge on perception. If you want your every move monitored, then please join this company. How others perceive you will outweigh the quality of your work and your work ethic. It's also extremely annoying to have to know that they are asking the clients what they think of you and using that opinion to judge you. This can be both good and bad, but the way I've seen it, it’s more of a burden then a positive.

For example, if an opportunity comes up and you don’t show any initiative to pursue it, they will wonder why you are not a go-getter. This opportunity may not fulfill your needs and maybe you think it doesn’t suit you well… but you’ll feel the pressure to apply even though you don’t really want it.

Upper management must live in a bubble or something because they seem to think that working here is a god-sent opportunity. They will make you feel like they are doing you a huge favor even though you're the one who is sacrificing extra time to complete the work for clients. They will relocate you, change your position, and do whatever they want with you as it meets their needs for the client. You probably won’t receive additional compensation for additional mileage you are forced to drive or any toll payments. You pretty much have to fight for every penny that you are owed. I know some people were reimbursed for travel while others weren't. I guess it depends how close you are to management.

If you are pursuing a career in engineering, you shouldn’t be ordering lunches for the office or transporting materials. I understand everyone pays dues when first starting their career but some of the work I’ve seen people do is absolutely ridiculous. Sometimes it just lacks a sense of direction for their new engineers. Sometimes funding for work is short, or the client doesn’t need our services for the time being, so they find miscellaneous tasks for the engineers to do. This includes filing work, accounting, administrative tasks, transporting samples, moving boxes, cleaning someone else’s desk, and a bunch of other things not even worth mentioning.

The company is also big on their core values. I’ve been told to memorize them in the case that the CEO or some other manager approaches me and asks me which one is my favorite. When I first joined the team, I literally thought it was a cult because it seemed like everyone else was buying into the core values so much. New and old employees were adamant about the core values and the company’s vision. I felt on edge because I was worried I would be called on at any moment to recite the core values and explain which one I liked the most. After working here for over a year, I learned that most people are actually pretty realistic about the company and are also just playing the part to please upper management. Not sorry to say, that not all the employees are as excited about AVS as AVS thinks they are.

While working at this company, I got a sense that half of the people really like it and the other half doesn’t. Mainly because about 2/3 of the company are engineers/admin and the other 1/3 are technicians. The technicians are paid very well here so a lot of them are extremely happy. The technicians get trucks and reimbursements, so they are treated pretty well. The rest of the workforce is most likely underpaid and underappreciated.

Overall this is not a place for you to grow. It’s also not the best place to start your career because you could potentially learn close to nothing. You’ll move on to the next company and they’ll ask you what you did at AVS and you won’t even know what to say. However, SOME people did have good opportunities and experiences. It’s just that it’s like the 1% vs the 99%.

Advice to Management

There seems to be an intimidation factor which makes it difficult to approach upper management. Also, it feels like most people are making up excuses as to why things cant change and will make you feel like your issues are barely anything. Take note the hardships and gripes your employees are experiencing. Don't brush them off.

Sep 9, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience at Alta Vista. Our intent with every new Alta Vista employee (AV-ator) is to create a rewarding career path. We believe that our success is ... More

"Interesting......"

Former Employee - QA Inspector in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - QA Inspector in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Perfect opportunity for green Engineers or Inspectors. Good Salary/Pay for the work tasked. A vehicle will be provided for Inspectors, per the "Statewide" contract.

Cons

I respect this company for providing feedback as follows:

As a result, we are considering several improvements. We will add increased focus on our Individual Development Plans. We will then follow up on issues and opportunities discussed there. We will also increase communication between our managers and our employees to avoid misunderstandings between them on one side, and between them and our clients on the other. There are always opportunities for improvement, and we intend to learn from everyone’s input and feedback.

Advice to Management

No advice. At least you have your drones following your " Core Values". I think you, as a company and your drones "Have alienated you from very important contracts". Let me guess....Yea you know....It all.....

Sep 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comment. We are committed to getting better through every experience.

"Very high turnover rate and lacking upper management"

Former Employee - SMR in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - SMR in Richmond, CA

I worked at Alta Vista Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are young and need a job and do not care care about working extra long hours without additional pay - this might work.

Cons

Glassdoor.com have an interesting mix of fabricated 5 star reviews and then 1-2 star actual reviews. If you read the 5 star reviews you will see they are identical in tone and message.

This company has put all its egg in one basket and if and when Caltrans chooses to change provider for their material testing - this company will shed 50%+ of its employees......

Read the real glassdoor reviews and you will have a good feel what you are signing up for - management is very weak and you will be a 100% disposable asset regardless of how good your technical skills are - if you do not know how to really service your boss and client in every possible way - you will end up like the 40% turnover rate every year......yes every 2.5 years you have a new company......

They do not give references BTW - only confirmation that you worked there.

Advice to Management

You can't have a business without staff. Learn to appreciate your young talent.

Sep 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. We are disappointed that we weren’t able to keep you engaged. A core theme for us is “continuous improvement” and we expect it in all things we do. You may not be ... More

"QA Inspector"

Former Employee - QA Inspector in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - QA Inspector in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Alta Vista Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Some good people.

Cons

First off take most of these reviews with a grain of salt I was working at a time when we were told to go and do reviews on here so take that for what it is. There is little training what there is can be hard to get. As I have seen in other comments the Client comes first and if you miss speak or make a mistake you are hung out to dry.

Advice to Management

Follow you Do Right saying not just give it lip service. Do Right by your people not your bottom line.

"Agility and journey to excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Alta Vista Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the most exciting years of my life are with Alta Vista where I have significantly grown personally and professionally. There are large companies where you are one of thousands and it is easier in many regards and there are small companies with narrow vision, and there is Alta Vista where you can be part of something bigger as long as you have drive and desire to grow.

This is the company for you if you are looking for challenge and want to expand your perspective towards everything you do. At times at may feel you are outside your comfort zone, however looking back those are the times I have learned and grown the most.

Cons

You will need patience and persistence to understand and adapt to complex dynamics of growing ambitious organization.

Advice to Management

Enjoy the successes, we are doing great during challenging times in Transportation industry

May 27, 2016 – President

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Yes, it does take patience and perseverance to survive mega projects. It also takes GRIT - the passion and perseverance to achieve long term goals ... More

"Pit stop"

Former Employee - Structural Materials Representative in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Structural Materials Representative in Richmond, CA

I worked at Alta Vista Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company for green engineers looking for temporary or short term employment. You get to meet lots of people in this company with it's very high personnel turnover rate. You get to learn about core values such as client perception and the fact that this is the marker by which your work product and career is based upon.

Cons

You are in the eyes of the company at their complete disposal - which includes nights, weekends etc. The client is always right and you therefore wrong in any disagreement. The management frequently asks their clients about their perception of you and if not satisfactory you are either gone or repositioned within the company which is very unlikely. In the management view: your career is on the line every single day....... which you should find exciting.

May 27, 2016 – President

Thank you for the feedback. At Alta Vista we strive to “deliver the best consultant services ever experienced” – as a result we work hard to quickly and meticulously respond to our client’s needs. We ... More

9. "great upper management and mid level managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Engaged, knowledgeable, experienced, sincere and motived team members

Cons

none that comes to mind

"Inspirational staff and managers. In my mind these people have GRIT."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Alta Vista Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers and managers have your back. Benefits are good, PTO, holiday pay, 401-k based on % of compensation not on what you contribute like other firms. Company picnic, holiday party (spouse and family invited) and something different added Paintball for team building!

Cons

IT and technology could use improvement, field staff could use more visits from managers and other staff to feel more connected.

Advice to Management

Diversify client base. Make more loaner vehicles available in offices. Modify review process to capture and improve on performance.

"Review"

Former Employee - Lead Quality Assurance Inspector in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Quality Assurance Inspector in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Alta Vista Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good and the work was good for my resume and on the job experience. I learned some political perspectives about the DOT.

Cons

Due to the political and bureaucratic nature of the positions of the mid- management personnel, it is not conducive for a good work place.