Alternative Apparel Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 24, 2018

Found 29 reviews

3.4
Evan Toporek

"worked there when it was based in LA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Alternative Apparel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed, generally friendly vibe.

Cons

Chronically under promoting key women executives.

Alternative Apparel2016-02-16

"Was on the right track but then...."

I worked at Alternative Apparel full-time

Pros

It was a non-competitive work environment that focused more on collaborative communication and after work social events. Everyone was friendly and supported each other. Dog friendly offices!

Cons

Once the creative head stepped down, the company was only left with the numbers guy, who was close-minded, clueless and moody. All he cared about was making or saving a buck and could care less about how they affected the product.

Advice to Management

Get a new open-minded, Visionary to run the company.

Alternative Apparel2016-02-08

"Good place to cut your teeth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Alternative Apparel full-time

Pros

Alternative is a great place to get your start in business like this. Management try very hard to make it a great place to work, and the office is as nice as it can be for its location (including a cafe and small gym). Always felt like I could pop into HR or my directors office if I ever needed to discuss anything. My particular managers were great in understanding our personal life and work life balance. While I was...

Cons

Serious lack of growth. New positions aren't being created often, so you can hit your ceiling in a couple of years as far as career growth. While management try's to make it a progressive office, its location leaves a lot to be desired. The company wanted a complete "open work space," but all directors kept their offices, and some departments didn't opt in to the open concept, so some departments are cubed and some aren't....

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to harness talent and grow your employees.

Alternative Apparel2015-12-21

"Company has real potential, needs stronger leadership"

I worked at Alternative Apparel full-time

Pros

Great Company Culture! Co-workers are a great, team has a good time while still getting work done. Perks like dogs at work, intracompany games, gym, charity work, etc. Nice product that the employees can be proud of, flexible work environment where employees can see the results of their contributions.

Cons

Strategic goals are unclear. Job Descriptions are not well defined or understood. Lack of accountability for management. Lack of diversity in the upper management team. Omni-channel approach has overcomplicated a simple business. Tone at the top stifles brainstorming.

Advice to Management

Find a North Star, communicate it to everyone, and go after it. Listen to your customers.

Alternative Apparel2015-10-22
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Distribution Center Associate in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Alternative Apparel

Pros

Alternative Apparel was a great place to work at. They were the most fun I have had working for a company. They treat employees well, with BBQ during the summers, a gym, playing games with other employees, family dinner for Thanksgiving, our supervisor would buy us the frozen popsicles during the summer, and they would have employee sales.

Cons

The only part I did not enjoy about working at the company was how they would give temps more hours than the full time employees during slow months.

Alternative Apparel2015-08-31

"Great brand, poor company."

I worked at Alternative Apparel full-time for more than a year

Pros

- excellent opportunity for an entry level workforce - great, simple all-ages basics brand - creative freedom due to lack of leadership - fun and hungry co-workers, easily one of the best groups to have worked with - lots of free gear - strong focus on sustainability practices

Cons

- no upward mobility, not for tenured individuals - utter lack of leadership and communication - disconnect between ATL office and brand outposts and offices - doesn't stick to any one initiative, never see's anything through, no consistent brand messaging - lack of relevant modern leadership experience at the top to drive the business forward in todays fast-paced and aggressive retail climate

Advice to Management

Follow through with initiatives, clearly communicate and provide leadership that leaves no questions. Your people want to be led and most importantly, believed in.

Alternative Apparel2015-08-24
  7. "Disorganized but definite perks"

Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Alternative Apparel part-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a very cool young company and you get a great discount on merchandise.

Cons

Retail operations could be standardized a bit more.

Advice to Management

More organization with product to store fulfillment.

Alternative Apparel2015-07-20
  8. "Great company"

I have been working at Alternative Apparel

Pros

Great deals on clothes, fun activities all the time, gym, etc.

Cons

Wish pay was a bit higher.

Alternative Apparel2015-07-14
    • "Great Place and Great People"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Norcross, GA

I worked at Alternative Apparel

Pros

There are alot of pros to working at Alternative Apparel. The work environment is one of eclectic people, with diverse thoughts and ideas. As a company they tend to go out of their way to ensure the workplace is one that promotes creativity, and positions people to succeed.

Cons

As with all things you have to take the good with the bad. Unfortunately Alternative's compensation model is far from competitive. Making it a great place to get your feet wet. But not a permanent career solution.

Advice to Management

You are who you are and the jobs and pay is what it is. Continue to be true to yourselves and the company's vision and even if you continue to have turnover due to salary constraints you will still Co tinge to thrive.

Alternative Apparel2015-07-11
    • "Good for beginners"

I worked at Alternative Apparel

Pros

Great learning experience & wonderful people

Cons

Lack of strategy from top level management

Alternative Apparel2015-07-24