Cover image for Alternative Family Services

3.6
74% Recommend to a Friend

Found 20 of over 20 reviews

3.6
Alternative Family Services CEO Marsha Lewis-Akyeem (no image)
Marsha Lewis-Akyeem
0 Rating

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
    There are no pros to display at this time.
Cons
  • "Management was not good and you get such little pay for what they expected you to do/caseload.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Outstanding place to work!

Oct 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

At AFS I work with people who really care- about the children and families, and about employees. The environment is flexible and supportive, which makes it possible to do this hard work every day!

Cons

Working with children and trauma will never be easy, but everything about AFS makes it easier.

2. 1.0

Not Worth It

Jan 26, 2023 - Case Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fellow Case Managers were all very welcoming and kind. Enjoyed working with most of the families and children.

Cons

Management was not good and you get such little pay for what they expected you to do/caseload. You are literally on-call 24/7. That is no way to live. Kudos to those who can or have been doing it for years. Not for me.

3. Join the Alternative Family Services team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good work/life balance

Feb 11, 2022 - FosterCare Caseworker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working with kids who really need help can be rewarding. No micro-management. Make your own scedule.

Cons

Pay is low as it is a non profit and they don't contribute to your 403B

5. 3.0

Mixed bag

Apr 3, 2022 - Mental Health Clinician
    Business Outlook

Pros

The overall purpose of the organization, and it’s ethos is commendable Work worth doing Upper leadership staff are great

Cons

Low pay for hours and effort Managers don’t stay long overall, and the one I had was vindictive and shady

Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I really appreciate the fact that you found our mission and work aligned with your values, and that you felt that upper leadership provided strong guidance to the agency. Thank you for your candor regarding the compensation and your immediate managers. Please note that we are taking your feedback seriously, and we are looking into how we can rectify this situation for current and future staff. If you'd ever like to reach out to chat, please feel free to email me anytime at tleverenz@afs4kids.org. All the best, Tricca Leverenz Mental Health Director, AFS Oakland

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

A lot of demand on clinicians as the “boots on the ground.”

May 18, 2021 - Mental Health Clinician in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some core people really do care about children. The front desk vibe on the Foster Care side seems dedicated to community uplifting

Cons

Back room meetings and hierarchy of members who’ve been there for many years. Therapists supervision time can often be turned into a dumping of projects/tasks that management needs help with. I wish there was more care for actually helping the clinicians feel comfortable, accepted, and welcomed there.

Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We always appreciate honest feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to improve both our services to our clients and our support to our staff. We take your input to heart and will be taking concrete steps to ensure all staff feel fully supported and integrated into the team. At AFS we strive to create a supportive work environment characterized by transparency, compassion and good team spirit. When we fall short in this goal, we take it extremely seriously. Your feedback will help us in our constant process of program improvement. If you would like to speak to us directly about your experiences, feedback and suggestions, we would love to speak with you directly. Please feel free to email us at info@afs4kids.org at any time. Thank you, Tricca Leverenz, LCSW Mental Health Director Alternative Family Services

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible

Sep 28, 2020 - Family Service Counselor in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Making a difference, flexibility, work culture

Cons

Lower pay, stories can be sad

8. 4.0
    Former Employee

Supportive Environment

Jun 16, 2020 - Support Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Constantly being trained, reimbursed for mileage

Cons

Had to use personal vehicles

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to learn about the foster care system

Sep 14, 2020 - Family Support Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are great, very supportive of each other.

Cons

Very hard work emotionally, can be too much. Hard to balance with home life.

Human Resources Generalist

AFS honors this feedback because the work truly is emotionally difficult. At the same time the work is deeply important and critical for our communities. We strive to support all employees throughout all aspects of the work, and see this support as a mandate. We are clear that giving the best possible service to our clients depends on members of our AFS community being able to find balance between work and personal/emotional needs. We hope to help employees in multiple ways, including supportive teams and an intensive training and supervision environment that anticipates stress and supports staff resiliency. Many of our social work and mental health clinician staff feel this is the hardest job they ever loved.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee

Foster Parent

May 28, 2017 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Potential to provide superb support to the clients and families enrolled in the program.

Cons

Fail to provide adequate support based on ethnicity of the foster parents. Meetings are segregated. Although not purposefully based on ethnicity but other factors yield the same results. Also, excessive workshops create childcare issues for foster parents with children in the teen category due to onsite care only provided for infant/toddlers. In addition, rules are most intrusive and does not foster the family structure by which the placement is designed. Therefore, the environment becomes a youth-group-home perspective from a family-live-in situation. This is not a way to help the client acclimate to a family oriented. Lastly, if a foster parent becomes too involved inquiring and questioning comparison of support with different AFS locations that parent is viewed negatively then privately reprimanded and asked to refrain from participating.

Human Resource Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We always strive to be as thoughtful and as accommodating as possible in all situations, especially when children are involved. We're sorry your experience with us was less than ideal. Your comments regarding foster parent assistance, on-site childcare assistance, age-appropriate trainings/support, and accommodating the unique needs of those who speak different languages and/or come from different cultural backgrounds are all well taken. Please know that we will be taking your feedback to heart and enacting change to better serve our community. If you have any additional questions, concerns or comments you'd like to share with us, please feel free to reach out directly at info@afs4kids.org.

11. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Genuine dedication for every client

May 13, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* AFS has served thousands of Northern CA foster youth and families since 1978 and the staff is dedicated to helping every single youth have a better life through mental health, foster care and adoption services. I have never worked in an environment where every single employee is working tirelessly towards the common goal of helping clients. It gives me some faith in humanity to see so many people working so hard to help the most disadvantaged youth have a better life. * AFS is currently working towards accreditation which is ensuring that every aspect of the organization is up to and above industry standards. * The work AFS does to help foster youth become capable, independent adults is very inspiring and anyone who works here knows they have had a positive impact on a young person's life who otherwise may have had a very bleak future.

Cons

~ The foster care system in general is a broken, terrible mess. It takes an incredible amount of work for non-profits in the foster care industry to just get the basic needs met from the state/national level. ~ Cases can be emotionally trying on staff.

6 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews
</>Embed

Alternative Family Services Reviews FAQs

Alternative Family Services has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 20 reviews left anonymously by employees. 74% of employees would recommend working at Alternative Family Services to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Alternative Family Services employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Alternative Family Services. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

74% of Alternative Family Services employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Alternative Family Services 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Alternative Family Services to be culture, career development, coworkers and the cons to be benefits, compensation, management.

Popular Careers with Alternative Family Services Job Seekers