Alternative Living Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Maxine George

1. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Committed, dedicated, caring, staff. Family-like environment. Very low turn over. Veteran staff are welcoming to new staff.

Cons

No cons against ALC but more against the ever changing MH system in Iowa. Now changing over to managed care for Medicaid.

2. "My experience working with this company has been unprofessional and hostile working conditions."

Current Employee - DSP in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - DSP in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Alternative Living Group (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason for working with ALG are the individuals and the rewarding feeling of helping them become productive members of society.

Cons

Starting with the CEO, HR manager, office manager, trainer/trainings, ARM, RM, and the Residential Coordinator I have never met such a bunch of unprofessional, conniving discriminatory individuals.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is get rid of the root cause(CEO) and bring in all new managers.

3. "Wonderful consumers terrible managers."

Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful consumers very independent , great health care coverage, and schedules

Cons

Unprofessional, Rude and lazy managers. Everyone try's to throw each other under the bus to make themselves look good. Low pay for all the tasks and duties they try to assign,

Advice to Management

Be a lot more professional, don't take your positions to your head and try to give credit to the hard working DSPs.

5. "Good pay and gas money for travel but management was very unprofessional and unorganized."

Former Employee - Respite Aide in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Respite Aide in Schenectady, NY

Pros

Alternative Living Group offers good relative pay and some nice perks, such as gas and petty cash. With my specific job there were also very flexible working hours.

Cons

Management was non-existent unless something was "wrong'. My supervisors/managers fulfilled little to none of their described duties and were very unorganized, although they were understaffed.

Advice to Management

I believe Alternative Living Group would operate more efficiently if managers and supervisors were more involved with the respite workers, especially in the area of developing specific plans for the children.

6. "consumed by paperwork"

Current Employee - Community Habilitation Aide in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Community Habilitation Aide in Albany, NY

Pros

work is rewarding, at your own pace and flexible.

Cons

paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. not enough money provided to do things with consumers, too many restrictions.

Advice to Management

less paperwork