Alternative Living Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 17, 2017

3.6
Maxine George

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work , free health insurance"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very respectfull people , good shifts houres you have a free time

Cons

Very easy job for student or else you have your own time do your home work study watching tv and so

2. "Good"

Current Employee - DSP
    Current Employee - DSP

I have been working at Alternative Living Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very relaxed environment. You have the chance to really help and impact a persons life in this field. The work can be very rewarding.

Cons

I don't have any cons

3. "Management is very self orientated. Only care about their-self and covering their butt."

Current Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

alot of Overtime available . Helping out consumers. Easy Hire. Down time on shift. easy job to keep for experience

Cons

Dealing with upper management is a big hassle. ive been here for 2 years, dealt with about 6 RM and only 1 of them is help or even praises staff for doing extra. IF YOU SAY YOU CAN NOT PICK UP A SHIFT THEY WILL HASSLE YOU. People that work in the office try to tell us what to do with individuals but they are always in the office so they dont know what it is like to be in the house with these guys while having behaviors.

4. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Committed, dedicated, caring, staff. Family-like environment. Very low turn over. Veteran staff are welcoming to new staff.

Cons

No cons against ALC but more against the ever changing MH system in Iowa. Now changing over to managed care for Medicaid.

5. "My experience working with this company has been unprofessional and hostile working conditions."

Current Employee - DSP in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - DSP in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Alternative Living Group (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason for working with ALG are the individuals and the rewarding feeling of helping them become productive members of society.

Cons

Starting with the CEO, HR manager, office manager, trainer/trainings, ARM, RM, and the Residential Coordinator I have never met such a bunch of unprofessional, conniving discriminatory individuals.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is get rid of the root cause(CEO) and bring in all new managers.

6. "Wonderful consumers terrible managers."

Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Direct Support Staff in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Alternative Living Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful consumers very independent , great health care coverage, and schedules

Cons

Unprofessional, Rude and lazy managers. Everyone try's to throw each other under the bus to make themselves look good. Low pay for all the tasks and duties they try to assign,

Advice to Management

Be a lot more professional, don't take your positions to your head and try to give credit to the hard working DSPs.

7. "Good pay and gas money for travel but management was very unprofessional and unorganized."

Former Employee - Respite Aide in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Respite Aide in Schenectady, NY

Pros

Alternative Living Group offers good relative pay and some nice perks, such as gas and petty cash. With my specific job there were also very flexible working hours.

Cons

Management was non-existent unless something was "wrong'. My supervisors/managers fulfilled little to none of their described duties and were very unorganized, although they were understaffed.

Advice to Management

I believe Alternative Living Group would operate more efficiently if managers and supervisors were more involved with the respite workers, especially in the area of developing specific plans for the children.

8. "consumed by paperwork"

Current Employee - Community Habilitation Aide in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Community Habilitation Aide in Albany, NY

Pros

work is rewarding, at your own pace and flexible.

Cons

paperwork, paperwork, paperwork. not enough money provided to do things with consumers, too many restrictions.

Advice to Management

less paperwork