Alteryx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Dean Stoecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing really fast so there are lot of opportunities for people who are good at what they do (in 7 reviews)

• Great benefits (100% paid medical for employees) (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The growing pains at Alteryx are totally normal for a tech company at this stage (in 7 reviews)

• No action or genuine concern of feedback regarding work/life balance and improvements to lacking culture (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great people doing big things. You'll feel welcomed from day one. Hilariously awesome benefits. You are given every opportunity to shine and move up if you put in the work. I genuinely enjoy coming into work in the morning. Love my team.

Cons

Relaxed culture can sometimes attracts people who want to sit, play on their phones, and collect a check. We want good people we can enjoy the high times with, but you need to come ready to work first.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the transparency and your efforts to stay true to us employees while we pivot from a feisty startup to a publicly traded juggernaut.

"Awesome in Irvine!"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

All the bad reviews seem to come from Broomfield office. I don't know what's going there, but things are great here in Irvine. I feel like the Glassdoor rating should be better than 4.0.

- Organically growing fast with great products.
    - There is a sense of coolness working for this hot tech company.
    - Great people to work with.
    - They make you feel they care about employees.
    - Great benefits (100% paid medical for employees).
    - Free drinks and snacks.
    - Training opportunities offered.
    - Latest technologies provided.

Cons

- The office temperature is a bit too cool for me, but I guess it's a personal preference thing.

- If you want decent food for lunch, you would have to drive out of the area. It normally takes more than an hour to get back to work due to lack of good restaurants in the business park and multi-level parking structure. There is a cafeteria in the business park. But, it's not free and quality is bad.

Advice to Management

- Fix the problem in Broomfield fast!
    - Continue to build on the employee centric culture (there is still a lot of room for improvement).
    - Continue to improve the quality and quantity of the information shared.

"It Feels Like Middle School All Over Again"

I worked at Alteryx full-time

Pros

There are some really great people who work for Alteryx.

Cons

Some of the "leadership" at Alteryx use tactics of intimidation, manipulation, and condescension. It's not a place to shine unless you play by these same rules.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on being a "cool" place to work. You're losing top-talent who see through such a facade.

"It's a job"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Some really talented people work here. Free lunches.

Cons

Management promotes based on friendships and not necessarily on skills. The process seems less on a merit based review and more on who they like. But I suppose if they hire talent, they don't need to earn a promotion.

The office is definitely set up to play, which is nice if you are not expected to work yourself to death.

Advice to Management

Take time to develop processes that are definable and attainable for a career path.

5. "Happier than ever!"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid volunteer time, generous benefit packages, employee-centric culture, fair compensation, modern work environment, well stocked kitchen, holiday celebrations

Cons

No paid sick leave, sick time has to come out of PTO which is only 3 weeks + 2 floating holidays (compared to other companies with 3 weeks + 1-2 weeks sick pay)

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company without stifling the culture, continue to trust employees and embrace modern workplace practices like standing desks, work from home flexibility, etc.

"VIP"

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They love their employees, they listen to ideas for changes, they provide everything you could need at work, they have many events and a great culture, they treat you like a VIP from the interview process to becoming an employee, food all the time, incredible office space

Cons

No cons yet, I love working here and don't see anything that would outweigh the good with how much they provide to their employees

"Cold, Disingenuous Leadership in Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great people at the contributor levels . The best and brightest I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Benefits, as many have stated, are fantastic. Alteryx really is still an OK place to work. But it could be so much more.

Cons

When I talk about Alteryx it’s like having a discussion about a dear friend who has recently lost his way.

Simply put, engineering is plagued by the worst management I have ever witnessed (particularly at the Director level). This is not hyperbole. Many of us are sitting here wondering which bad decision it will be that will make it necessary for action to be taken on what we perceive as abundant examples of poor leadership.

One would think that, with our company’s goal of becoming a billion dollar organization, we would want to double down on the culture that got us to the big leagues and, at the very least, be careful with whom we choose to be our leaders. In particular, it’s important to insure that when we bring leaders into our company externally that those individuals not bring the same bad practices that plagued the organizations they are presumably fleeing. Since 2016, our director has taken a wrecking ball to nearly everything that made Alteryx a great place to work. Important decisions are made in back rooms about tools, technologies, and processes without the council and expertise of the people who are affected by these decisions. Now, you are more likely to hear about what your team will look like or what tech stack you’ll be using from your manager than you are to be asked about what the best next move is. Confusion is rampant across all teams about what our next gen strategy is after two years of knowing that a next gen platform is imminent. We don’t know how to advance our careers and move up. We do know not to mistake an open door for an opportunity to speak the truth. We are people persecuted and furloughed for dissenting and being honest. You toe the line, present a unified front, or you sit down and shut up.

Management is upside down - it presumes to know what’s best for contributors and has lost sight of the fact that they are public servants. Could we please have leaders who didn’t constantly trip over their own egos, hush people in meetings, and misinterpret the fortune of being lucky enough to lead incredibly intelligent people to mean that they have divine wisdom or insight that allows them to rule people instead of serve them? It would be incredibly refreshing to have one of our leaders stand up and say, “OK, now I know I can find a lot of people who will agree with what I’m saying, but I want to hear from those who don’t” It doesn’t take much to surround yourself with and trumpet feedback from people who always agree with you and pretend like dissent doesn’t exit or, worse, not even know it exists.

If the now dozens of talented, experienced, tenured employees that have parted ways with us isn’t enough for us to wake up and realize something foul is amiss, what about the people who have voluntarily stepped down from leadership roles? How much more will we need to hear about it “just being growing pains” or the “transition from small company mindedness” to “big company mindedness” or it taking a special person to be a leader rather than a contributor? When are we going to address the elephants in the room?

When did Alteryx become fixated on being so utterly average, like every other corporate American company? We have an opportunity to be different. To do things our way. To be servants to our employees and customers first, and to our investors third. Shouldn’t “a billion” really just be a bi-product of being an awesome place to work and having great customers who love us? Our employees should feel excited to come to work because they are certain that their opinions and contributions matter. No one wants to be dictated to and told after a big decision has been made.

Meanwhile, I’ll just be sitting here hanging on a little bit longer. The Alteryx I knew is worth it.

Advice to Management

Take decisive, swift action when members of the leadership team aren't a good fit. Especially when there is great consensus, as these reviews would lead us to believe, about where problems exist.

"New hire ready to strive!"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview process was smooth. Great benefits and compensation. Looking forward to a long term career and working with the team!

Cons

None that comes to mind.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches on 1 day a week

Cons

High turnover with no explination

"CTO Driving the Company Into the Ground ..."

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customers - our customers truly love our product and are more than willing to bend over backwards to provide feedback to help shape future iterations

Great people - dedicated associates who truly want to produce a world-class product in-spite of circumstances

Great perks - new office space, lunches, snacks, and employee events

Cons

CTO who thinks he's lead designer, developer, and general know-it-all. Yet he doesn't believe our customers are smart enough to know what they want. Or that we should look to competitors to ensure we're viable in the market place.

Lackluster leadership team - since the IPO leadership has been a revolving door!

Lack of strategic product vision or direction.

Continuous insertion of management layers - instead of hiring experts to do the work they choose to hire directors and managers - who aren't actually producing anything other than meeting invites, and more questions.

Advice to Management

Quit allowing the CTO to drive our product's design direction - you have an entire team of smart, motivated PM's who are willing to take the company to the next level. Remove this roadblock and there is only GREAT things on the horizon for Alteryx.