Alteryx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Dean Stoecker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing really fast so there are lot of opportunities for people who are good at what they do (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, and even better opportunity to establish a long term career (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The growing pains at Alteryx are totally normal for a tech company at this stage (in 5 reviews)

• Great work/life balance here, but don't come here to coast (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Job I've Ever Had"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great people doing big things. You'll feel welcomed from day one. Hilariously awesome benefits. You are given every opportunity to shine and move up if you put in the work. I genuinely enjoy coming into work in the morning. Love my team.

Cons

Relaxed culture can sometimes attracts people who want to sit, play on their phones, and collect a check. We want good people we can enjoy the high times with, but you need to come ready to work first.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the transparency and your efforts to stay true to us employees while we pivot from a feisty startup to a publicly traded juggernaut.

"The best career move I've ever made"

Current Employee - Software Automation Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software Automation Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every one of my co-workers loves the product we're building. I was skeptical but after using it myself have come to feel the same way. My team gives me the freedom to innovate, with enough direction to see where my ideas improve the product. Toxic people are not tolerated - thus the workplace is synergistic, with differences in opinion tended to so that the best solutions can be achieved. You also won't be barred from moving into a new career path if that is what you want - they intend to keep good people as long as possible.

Transparency is valued and this has been demonstrated to me on multiple occasions. We have Ask me Anything sessions with the CEO down to middle management, where plenty of hard questions are asked and answered. You don't have to go through your direct report to talk to the VP of Engineering three levels up either.

Despite the possibility that these values don't always hold true, I believe there is a group of very good people at the top of this company, and eventually the values flow down and permeate the organization. Anyone can join a management at a company and start making that department go to hell, but if there are good people at the top, eventually that gets fixed.

Cons

Though my team has been fantastic when it comes to freedom to innovate and cooperation, I'm sure there are teams who don't have that.

The company has started to grow extremely fast, and sometimes the best decisions aren't made out of a need to make them quickly; that's the nature of the growing beast.

Advice to Management

As you seem to believe, the people are what make a company thrive. Take your time hiring the right people even though we're growing fast. Poor employees hire poor employees, so not hiring them in the first place is the best line of defense.

"Once in a lifetime company to sell at!"

Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have ever worked for a software company that didn't have a best in class product, then you will appreciate the opportunity to sell Alteryx. It is simply the best product on the market and is only getting better. Great culture, surrounded by like minded individuals, constantly pushing themselves and their teams to be better. Great benefits, and even better opportunity to establish a long term career. If you like immersing yourself in your job, can't think of a better place to do it and learn about this incredible space on the way.

Cons

You have to play the "game" to move up.

Advice to Management

Keep listening, and keep doing a fantastic job at planning for the future of our platform. We won't always be the only player in the market.

4. "Alteryx is great!"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alteryx is great for a lot of different reasons. (1) It's in a fast-growing market and the company itself is rapidly growing - it's been cool to see the company grow and go public (2) There are a lot of smart, fun, hardworking people - I've built some great relationships with the people I work with, both on projects and outside of the office (3) There is a lot of opportunity - since the company is growing so quickly, there are a lot of new projects to work on and I constantly see employees getting promoted.

Cons

No place is perfect and Alteryx has its faults, but the pros certainly outweigh the cons. The biggest con is the turnover. The company is in a transitional period going from a start-up to a publicly traded company and there have been a lot of people who unfortunately don't want to be part of the next phase.

Advice to Management

Keep the work hard - play hard culture. Keep attracting smart, hardworking and driven talent and pay for it.

5. "Rocket Ship"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great energy, amazing customer list who loves the product. Fast growing. lots of mobility and growth opps

Cons

Growing pains (normal for this stage) with internal resources

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing. friendly and encouraging; love it when someone bangs the gong!

"Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Fast paced, surrounded by great people, product that customers love. I am continually challenged and look forward to going to work each day. People treat each other with high respect and there is a genuine interest in individual, team and company success. Boot camp. Lots of professional growth opportunities

Cons

There has been a tremendous amount of change at Alteryx even in my less than 1 year tenure. We are still growing up, so we don't have the "play-book" for every situation. Post IPO there have been "rules" established that are at times in conflict with our need to be agile in process and decision making

Advice to Management

Keep improving on your alignment on priorities and strategy. Continue to reinforce the value of your associates through listening to their recommendations around addressing our gaps and also in maintaining all the things we do well and also fosters a great culture. Make the tough leader changes if they (leaders) aren't aligned with our desired culture.

"Good aspects countered by toxic culture"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

- Plenty of very smart, driven employees.
    - Great benefits.
    - Amazingly enthusiastic customer base. By and large, people seem to really like the product.
    - Pretty good PTO.

Cons

- Unresponsive upper management, at least in Engineering. Decisions are often made without adequately explaining reasoning or allowing for any feedback. Many employees are afraid of speaking up or mentioning certain sacred cow topics because of the possibility of retaliation, which does happen. Upper management will say that their doors are always open, but this isn't fostering communication- it's creating a situation where the burden of fixing glaring issues falls on rank-and-file employees who face the risk of retaliation if they say the wrong thing. Issues don't get addressed; they get buried.
    - Despite having a lot of great employees, Alteryx doesn't seem to intent on keeping them. Employee turnover is high and morale, at least in large parts of the organization, is low. Responses from senior management have mostly consisted of talking about issues unrelated to problems employees are actually concerned about. The turnover issue is rarely discussed and, when it is, it's typically dismissed outright.
    - Profoundly outdated technology. The infrastructure related to things like testing, version control and builds is old, clunky and a significant drain on productivity. These complaints have been going around Engineering for a very long time, but senior management dismisses them every time they're brought up.
    - Favoritism. Echoing another reviewer here, I heard some employees complain about senior management picking favorites, but I thought it was just sour grapes on their part. After having worked here for some time, though, it's true- there's an inner circle at Alteryx and, if you're not part of it, good luck climbing the ladder.
    - Poor planning and resource allocation. It's not unusual to see teams have to change direction completely. Usually, this happens because of shifts in overall company priorities, but even priority areas often remain under-staffed and under-resourced while other projects lower on the list of priorities wind up stuffed to the gills with engineers. Increasingly, projects are being given ambitious deadlines before a clear plan of how to tackle the problem or what even needs to be done has been established.

Advice to Management

Alteryx has done a lot of things right, and we've got the earnings and customer passion to show for it. However, the dysfunctional culture in Engineering could wind up rotting things from the inside. You've got smart people- listen to their ideas and concerns, give them fully fleshed-out product road-maps, allocate your resources according to your priorities and modernize your infrastructure. When I started at Alteryx, I thought it was the best job I've ever had; all these issues make it really difficult to stay optimistic.

8. "Sr Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Alteryx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly professional and dedicated coworkers. Alteryx customer loyalty is like none other.

Cons

Limited ability for career advancement.

"Enterprise Sales Team at Alteryx"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gartner customers ranked Alteryx as the #1 analytics platform.

You'll sell to cool companies and will get good enterprise software sales experience here. Plus, you have the opportunity to make lots of money because of how sick the Alteryx platform is and how big the market is for modern BI and Analytics platforms.

Cons

There are growing pains at Alteryx, like constant change in people and processes. The growing pains at Alteryx are totally normal for a tech company at this stage.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job - Keep paying attention to the growing demands of your employees and try to keep up with what they need to continue to be successful.

Keep up the great work with developing the Alteryx platform!

"Terrible management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the engineers are truly talented
    Flexible schedule as long as you get your job done
    Exciting product

Cons

Terrible planning and lack of communication among upper managers.
    No time for career growth.
    Employees are afraid of speaking up, because we have seen so many people (awesome ones) got laid off.
    Favoritism exists in the leadership.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be re-organized. They do nothing but cause problems and chaos.