Alteryx "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

Alteryx Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Jun 6, 2019

3.5
Alteryx Chairman & CEO Dean Stoecker (no image)
Dean Stoecker
Pros
  • "The company is growing and moving at a fast pace, so there is a lot of opportunity to contribute and have an impact(in 13 reviews)

• "Great benefits (100% paid medical for employees)(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some growing pains but nothing that can’t be managed(in 8 reviews)

• "As this is a fast growing company the seniority of the company and the management need to balance the growth, and they do(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Incredible opportunity to sell and build a career at."

I have been working at Alteryx full-time for less than a year

Pros

Incredible culture, leadership, products and customers. A great place to build a career in the software business. The benefits are great too.

Cons

Some growing pains but nothing that can’t be managed. Typical pains at a high growth technology company. These are good problems to have.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on maintaining the culture

Alteryx2018-01-21

"Account Executive"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time for more than a year

Pros

Products Team / Culture Brand CEO is Awesome The office is clean and modern

Cons

Typical Sales Obstacles Growing Pains

Advice to Management

Keep helping internal reps grow and develop to become senior management/ sales executives.

Alteryx2018-06-04

"Cold, Disingenuous Leadership in Engineering"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great people at the contributor levels . The best and brightest I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Benefits, as many have stated, are fantastic. Alteryx really is still an OK place to work. But it could be so much more.

Cons

When I talk about Alteryx it’s like having a discussion about a dear friend who has recently lost his way. Simply put, engineering is plagued by the worst management I have ever witnessed (particularly at the Director level). This is not hyperbole. Many of us are sitting here wondering which bad decision it will be that will make it necessary for action to be taken on what we perceive as abundant examples of poor... leadership. One would think that, with our company’s goal of becoming a billion dollar organization, we would want to double down on the culture that got us to the big leagues and, at the very least, be careful with whom we choose to be our leaders. In particular, it’s important to insure that when we bring leaders into our company externally that those individuals not bring the same bad practices that plagued the organizations they are presumably fleeing. Since 2016, our director has taken a wrecking ball to nearly everything that made Alteryx a great place to work. Important decisions are made in back rooms about tools, technologies, and processes without the council and expertise of the people who are affected by these decisions. Now, you are more likely to hear about what your team will look like or what tech stack you’ll be using from your manager than you are to be asked about what the best next move is. Confusion is rampant across all teams about what our next gen strategy is after two years of knowing that a next gen platform is imminent. We don’t know how to advance our careers and move up. We do know not to mistake an open door for an opportunity to speak the truth. We are people persecuted and furloughed for dissenting and being honest. You toe the line, present a unified front, or you sit down and shut up. Management is upside down - it presumes to know what’s best for contributors and has lost sight of the fact that they are public servants. Could we please have leaders who didn’t constantly trip over their own egos, hush people in meetings, and misinterpret the fortune of being lucky enough to lead incredibly intelligent people to mean that they have divine wisdom or insight that allows them to rule people instead of serve them? It would be incredibly refreshing to have one of our leaders stand up and say, “OK, now I know I can find a lot of people who will agree with what I’m saying, but I want to hear from those who don’t” It doesn’t take much to surround yourself with and trumpet feedback from people who always agree with you and pretend like dissent doesn’t exit or, worse, not even know it exists. If the now dozens of talented, experienced, tenured employees that have parted ways with us isn’t enough for us to wake up and realize something foul is amiss, what about the people who have voluntarily stepped down from leadership roles? How much more will we need to hear about it “just being growing pains” or the “transition from small company mindedness” to “big company mindedness” or it taking a special person to be a leader rather than a contributor? When are we going to address the elephants in the room? When did Alteryx become fixated on being so utterly average, like every other corporate American company? We have an opportunity to be different. To do things our way. To be servants to our employees and customers first, and to our investors third. Shouldn’t “a billion” really just be a bi-product of being an awesome place to work and having great customers who love us? Our employees should feel excited to come to work because they are certain that their opinions and contributions matter. No one wants to be dictated to and told after a big decision has been made. Meanwhile, I’ll just be sitting here hanging on a little bit longer. The Alteryx I knew is worth it.

Advice to Management

Take decisive, swift action when members of the leadership team aren't a good fit. Especially when there is great consensus, as these reviews would lead us to believe, about where problems exist.

Alteryx2018-02-22
  4. "Rocket Ship"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time

Pros

Great energy, amazing customer list who loves the product. Fast growing. lots of mobility and growth opps

Cons

Growing pains (normal for this stage) with internal resources

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing. friendly and encouraging; love it when someone bangs the gong!

Alteryx2017-12-01

"Good job in a great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Alteryx full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture is the best you'll find for a tech company thriving in Southern California, everyone is welcoming and despite moving to a public company the environment is very transparent from executive level to your peers on your team. They thrive by "testing new ideas" and there really isn't a wrong answer as long as you communicate and are open to collaborate. It was difficult leaving this job, but I know I'll enjoy... watching the company continue to grow and thrive.

Cons

Growing pains - things aren't as clear from the top - down Large departmental teams which result in silo'd efforts No clear career paths, although there are plenty of leadership and skill workshops

Advice to Management

Ensure that if you want to find the right people, you continue to offer the right programs and opportunities to get them to stay - don't be afraid to let someone who isn't leadership take charge on a project or company initiative

Alteryx2017-11-01

"Drop your current job and apply here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Alteryx full-time for less than a year

Pros

All I can say is WOW to the recruiting team! Everyone I spoke to is so welcoming and made sure to keep me in the loop throughout the whole process. You can tell they really care about the candidate experience. As for the team - great group of people. Everyone is quick to help get you settled and I appreciate the open communication and down-to-earth vibe from the executives. Fun culture overall and AWESOME product.... Every employee gets to experience the product first-hand during a 3 day training, which I think sets the company apart from others.

Cons

Some possible growing pains that come along with the rate at which the company is growing, but nothing abnormal.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire like-minded people.

Alteryx2017-01-24

"Enterprise Account Executive"

I have been working at Alteryx full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great compensation and working for a team of visionaries.

Cons

Non at this point. Just normal aggressive growing pains.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to the folks on the ground floor.

Alteryx2016-07-27

"Best company I have ever worked at"

Current Employee - Senior HRBP in London, England

I have been working at Alteryx full-time for less than a year

Pros

Recruitment process - was fast and slick, the first time interviewers were excited talking to me and made me feel wanted. Onboarding - well thought through with a 90 day plan. Impressed to join Bootcamp &GKO as non-sales associate. Culture - this is the stand out reason I am happy at work. Everyone is super friendly and supportive. Diversity - everyone is welcome here and we can openly discuss different... points of views. Founders - are involved in the day to day and approachable for everyone.

Cons

Others might see growing pains as cons but for me it's a positive as one of the reasons I joined.

Advice to Management

This is a super fast ride, continue your support for everyone to keep up.

Alteryx2019-06-06