Altia Central Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very Supportive"

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher

I worked at Altia Central full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was very happy during my time with Altia. The management is very encouraging, and very supportive with regards to problems you may have with school administrators. In my case, there was a small incident of a teacher at one of my schools making me uncomfortable, and I reported it to ALTIA and they dealt with it right away, and from then on I had zero problems with that teacher. There's a week of training and they provide you with lots of materials from the beginning, and you can always request more.

Cons

-School fit is kind of luck of the draw, and can even vary year to year at the same school. I was very lucky to have good rapport with almost all my classes, but sometimes, just like with any teaching position, there are classes that have a less than ideal "culture" to them, or teachers that aren't as talented or good with the students, and you basically have to just deal with it.
    -Otherwise, the cons are much the same as any other ALT company - difficult to get vacations outside of the designated times (meaning you might work on Christmas, depending on your school)
    -The pay isn't phenomenal by American standards, but given my location I was fairly comfortable and even able to build up a small savings. When you first start out, money is tight because of how they take your rent out of your paycheck, so the first month you basically get just over half of what you normally would, so I'd recommend having a small bit of money saved before starting just to make sure you aren't struggling the first two months.
    -As for your location - like most ALT companies, it's luck of the draw, though you can "request" an area and if they have openings there that you're suited for they try to match you accordingly.
    -The apartments they put you in are really small, minimally furnished, and if you're assigned a car, it's probably going to basically be a box on wheels - bare bones, maybe not even a radio.
    You're only paid once a month, unlike most US companies who pay you twice a month or every two weeks.

Advice to Management

Very little, keep up the good work! The only thing I can think of is that I know some towns don't have regular meetings for the ALTs and the supervisors, (mine did) but I found them to be very helpful, so maybe implementing those meetings in every location would be a good idea.

"Teaching English in the land of the rising sun."

Former Employee - Alternate Language Teacher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Alternate Language Teacher in Austin, TX

I worked at Altia Central full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Altia Central provides training and teaching materials as part of a week-long intensive training session. The Altia Central staff is helpful and supportive of their ALTs. Altia Central provides its ALTs with more than enough media and flashcards to assist with lesson planning, and entertaining a classroom of middle school or elementary school students.

Cons

Altia Central has an obligation to send you to a location based on the needs of the various boards or education in central Japan, so some rural positions are quite unappealing. Vehicles are not provided for some rural positions

Advice to Management

My advice to the management would be to spend more time assisting ALTs in rural places where public transportation is less reliable.

"Great company"

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher

I worked at Altia Central full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredibly supportive - doctor's appointments can be arranged easily (which for Japan is not always easy). My supervisor called to check on my regularly, and when I was having a difficult time was genuinely interested in helping me get back on my feet. Professional development is taken seriously and the company tried its best to keep me comfortable. Pay and reimbursements are on time - each position is different, but I had 12 full months of pay, no deductions at all for summer, winter, or spring holidays, plus a small annual bonus. Great proprietary materials, and a management who care about teaching English, not about simply scoring big contracts. 10 weeks fully paid holiday a year and an honest, supportive company - I could not have asked for more. Oh, and they leased me a car to get to work for cheap!

Cons

Nothing that isn't typical of the industry (e.g. at any ALT company salary will not go up, promotions are few and far between, time off during the school year is nearly impossible).

Advice to Management

Altia has great supervisors and staff. Keep giving them the support they need to support the ALTs and I am positive your contracts and areas will keep expanding.

4. "Good Company"

Former Employee - ALT
    Former Employee - ALT

I worked at Altia Central full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were very organized in terms of finding housing, meeting me at Tokyo airport, and getting a hotel for several days before moving to my town. Very good support overall throughout my time in Japan.

Cons

Not too much I can think of.

"Better than others"

I have been working at Altia Central full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides training and materials for incoming ALTs. The company works together with various Boards of Education. They take their job seriously and adapt their teaching styles and materials to fit the needs of the schools/boards of education. In addition, the company does its best to place you in a place that will work for you, and if there are any problems or if you feel you need advice, your supervisors are there for you. There are possibilities to move up in the company, language ability will help this!

Cons

Like many teaching positions in Japan, it doesn't pay great, but honestly I think you could do worse. I've heard that the default accomodation is pretty small, however the company was willing to work with me while I found my own accomodation. They do expect you to have a more 'Japanese' work mentality, which means that even though your work hours are 8:30 to 4:30, you're expected to be at your school early and to interact with students in clubs, rather than runnning out the door as fast as you can.

"Bitter senior staff."

I worked at Altia Central full-time

Pros

The schools can be fun. A lot of resources. The training is pretty good.

Cons

ALTIA like to boast on their website about "paid summer vacations", however this depends on the BOE and your contract. I only found out my summer salary would be prorated when they finally decided to show me my contract just before I started work.
    Once I decided to leave ALTIA they gave me 3 days to leave my apartment. Not 3 working days, just 3 days including the weekend. This made everything very hectic and stressful. I previously worked for Interac who gave me at least a couple of days to settle up.
    I needed to leave work early in order to buy a suitcase (I lived far enough from the mall that it would close by the time I finished work) due to them not giving me enough time to vacate the apartment. I had no classes and no work to do, my school were fine with me leaving as they understood my situation. However my supervisor was incredibly rigid and unreasonable, insisting that I stay.
    You get 5 sick days/personal days. However, for the contract in my area, if we missed a day then we would need to do a "make up day" therefore we never really got a personal day... just a rescheduled day! Yet they still counted it as using a personal day.

My supervisor also seemed happy to provide a reference, however since I left the company he has been ignoring any requests.

The Japanese staff seem fine and so do the young staff. It’s just the older spiteful supervisors you need to be wary of!

Advice to Management

Stop being spiteful and bitter.

"Best ALT company other than JET"

I worked at Altia Central full-time

Pros

Managers at ALTIA care about the ALTS, they provide training and materials

Cons

Alt work in general can suck, if you are placed in a bad school there is little altia can do for you

"As much as one could hope for..."

Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Former Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

I worked at Altia Central full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to live in Japan and they help you get set up and sponsor visas. They also have a lot of materials to help you in your schools. It's a good place to start your career/life in Japan.

Cons

Being an ALT isn't for everyone. I found it incredibly boring, the pay is way too low to actually live, you have to attend completely pointless monthly meetings where you are reviewed, and the coordinators occasionally micromanage. It's also a company run by Japan lifer-teachers, not necessarily good managers nor business people. That's just something to consider.

Advice to Management

Nothing, really. They're very open about who they are and what they're there for. I do think they need to do a better job of understanding this isn't a realistic lifetime thing for a vast, vast majority of their employees. The level of passion and enthusiasm they seem to expect isn't commensurate with the paltry salary. No one is going to just hang out for 10 extra hours a week at school if they aren't getting paid for it. No one wants to go to events on the weekend without pay. Again, they are pretty fair and do a pretty good job, but they are little bit living in a fantasy world.

"A good, caring company"

Current Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Nakatsugawa, Gifu (Japan)
    Current Employee - Assistant Language Teacher in Nakatsugawa, Gifu (Japan)

Pros

- Full company support - you're never left to fend for yourself
    - Great consideration for your needs and placement requests
    - Salary better than most other companies
    - Paid summers (at least 50% if not full)
    - Materials and plan assistance provided
    - Full, effective and actually helpful training
    - Employees kept up to date as much as possible within the company
    - Opportunities for extracurricular experiences
    - Everyone, even the president, is friendly, approachable, and easy to talk to
    - Flexible car plans and/or reimbursed travel expenses for work purposes

Cons

- Communication between schools and company sometimes patchy (not always the fault of the company, however)

"ALT"

Former Employee - ALT in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)
    Former Employee - ALT in Nagoya, Aichi (Japan)

Pros

You can work and live in Japan.
    You can get health insurance and they contribute to the national pension scheme.
    The managers and other teachers are very nice.
    The summer vacations are paid.

Cons

I don't think the salary is enough to live on in Japan.
    I don't think the job is all that stable.
    Sometimes it seems like the rules are a little vague

Advice to Management

I think everyone at Altia is really trying their best. Any place is going to have good times and bad, I hope the best for the company.