Altisource Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Altisource CEO William B. Shepro
William B. Shepro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy to maintain work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• The company provides a great work environment and I really enjoy working with my co-workers (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance (Flexibility is a curse in disguise) (in 48 reviews)

• Anytime Firing, No Work Life Balance, (in 23 reviews)

"Regulatory mess"

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, reasonable pay

Cons

The company is going through a lot of downsizing across all levels. The CSO, COO, CTO and many other executives had to depart in the past few months. The headquarters are in Luxembourg and most of the operations are in India. There are some locations in the US with the largest offices in Boston, Atlanta and Los Angeles. There is a huge disconnect between the various locations, both in direction and culture.

The company spun out of Ocwen in 2009 aspiring to be technology company. The founder of the company William C. Erbey was forced to quit in 2015 and the journey has been downhill from there. William C. Erbey was a visionary in the industry and his absence is what is damaging the company.

The current management is very inexperienced. Most of the executives and VPs and SVPS were low or middle level managers in their jobs prior to Altisource. They tried hiring senior level leadership during the last 2 years but most of them have been frustrated by the regulatory troubles of the company.

They have acquired a lot of small firms in the recent past trying to get a foothold in the industry. The revenues from the acquisitions are not enough to account for loss of Ocwen revenue.

Attrition of talent is a major problem as capable technical staff keep leaving or are let go. Most of the development work is outsourced to India. The engineering teams in Bangalore are mediocre at best. There is not even a single IIT graduate in the technology teams.

The environment is very demoralizing after several rounds of layoffs, The outlook is also very negative. Senior leadership in Boston openly speculate about the viability of the company given the predicament of their biggest customer Ocwen.
    Ocwen and Altisource have a lot of common ownership and are very closely held stocks. It is hard to understand why the leaders would talk so lowly about their biggest customer.

Advice to Management

More of an advice to the board. The company needs new executive leadership.

2. "Great Company depending on what you value..."

I worked at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, great people, lots of opportunity to learn

Cons

TERRIBLE communication between departments, TOO MUCH TURNOVER, typical corporate atmosphere

Advice to Management

Invest more into the people you already have on your team, make room and PLANS for their growth rather than focusing on always being ready to replace people because they are "not a good fit", upper level management needs to be more connected to the ground level work being done

"decent company"

I have been working at Altisource full-time

Pros

the hours were flexible and the pay was decent

Cons

management was not great, alot of the technical people were abroad

4. "Average"

I worked at Altisource full-time

Pros

Overall good co for fresher but no hike no promotion

Cons

Mostly night shift are available for all process

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Real Estate Sales Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Altisource full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity within the organization. Great people.
    Cutting edge technology with a global reach.
    Company provided snacks and lunch.
    Fast pace, you will never be bored.

Cons

Weak infrastructure; patience and an extraordinary amount of flexibility is necessary.
    Weak chain of command in certain areas-less experienced are in leadership roles and are unequipped to handle the job specifics; e.g. unlicensed supervisors with no experience managing brokers/licensees.
    Salary is insufficient compared to the time investment.

Advice to Management

Restructure. Restructure. Restructure. It would be a cost-savings benefit to place the experienced in leadership roles to groom and guide the inexperienced. Invest in a training and brokerage compliance department with experienced brokers.

"This is a Bad review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy to get to by bus

Cons

they have poor management, they play favoritism, and they change the rules to suit them

Advice to Management

get a new set of managers that are not lazy

"Growing Pains"

Pros

Growing company; more opportunities for growth

Cons

Since it is a growing company, it is still trying to evolve in terms of development of its staff. Promotion from within is very difficult because there are not established processes.

"Not good for technically sound people"

Pros

Good pay scale and decent work ethics and culture.

Cons

No structure of management decisions. Takes a long time to understand whom and why things and reports are going to.

"This was not a good experience for me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I worked at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new HR VP really seems to be trying.
    The new casual dress code.
    There are snacks (read: junk food) in the galleys

Cons

Benefits are well below what other companies in the Atlanta area offer.
    Bonuses are discussed, but ......where are they?
    Zero continuity from team to team and office to office.
    Antiquated IT systems and software.
    Still a huge turnover issue in the Atlanta office.
    No ability to telecommute (at least in my department) and a horrible VPN network when you do need to connect remotely.
    Too many small companies operating under parent company. Makes for inconsistency across teams.
    On boarding amounts to, "here is where you will sit. Good luck."
    The open office atmosphere, especially in areas with sensitive information, is not the ideal working environment.
    OCWEN is a HUGE question mark. If they fold or are forced to fold, Altisource folds.
     In the Atlanta office, there are two sides to the offices. It literally feels like two different companies. Again, the issue of a lack of continuity across teams.

There are certain teams that have new faces on a monthly basis. The legal team is a prime example. Meetings are set, meetings are cancelled. When you contact the attorney in legal, you find out they left the company. In the 2 years I worked at Altisource, I have seen at least 10 different attorneys and 5 different paralegals come and go. The mortgage services has been even worse. I literally could not keep track of the people who I was supposed to be working with because they were constantly being fired or leaving. Contractors are also let go on a whim and there is no communication to let the other employees know other than the, "[insert name] is no longer allowed in the building."
    Very little room for advancement. I can count on one hand the number of promotions I saw vs new recruits being brought into to fill the middle management positions. I left the company and landed a senior management position, but my future at Altisource was never discussed while I was there.
    Work life balance in the Atlanta office is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Build trust. There is an overwhelming sense among the rank and file that they are not trusted. The rank and file don't trust management. Too many times we were told, "Things are looking up." or "We had a great quarter" only to see jobs cut and benefits and pay remain stagnant.
    There have been a few times the employees were given one story, but then we read in the news a contrary story (which turns out to the true). OCWEN is past their problems for instance.
    There are some extremely talented people that have left the company and are contemplating leaving the company because of the lack of trust and this cycle will continue.
    The HR initiatives are nice, but many of them, due to past actions of management, feel like an appeasement to keep the workers quiet. The casual dress code, while appreciated, is a great example. It's a nice to be able to wear jeans, but there are MUCH larger issues (IT for example) that go ignored.

Altisource Response

Sep 2, 2016

First, thank you for the kind words. While I'm sorry you didn't have an optimal experience, I appreciate the feedback. Most of the things you talked about are on our radar and being addressed. Some... More

10. "desktop support contractor"

Former Contractor - Desktop Support Specialist in Endicott, NY
    Former Contractor - Desktop Support Specialist in Endicott, NY

I worked at Altisource as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

close to home, I could go home for lunch
    get to work on really old PC equipment

Cons

bald co-worker never talked to me (so this could be a pro).
    no communication
    ended contract with no notice

Advice to Management

communicate