Altisource Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Altisource CEO William B. Shepro
William B. Shepro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy to maintain work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• The company provides a great work environment and I really enjoy working with my co-workers (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance (Flexibility is a curse in disguise) (in 48 reviews)

• Anytime Firing, No Work Life Balance, (in 23 reviews)

"Exciting, high-tech work environment"

Current Employee - Product Management in Dunwoody, GA
    Current Employee - Product Management in Dunwoody, GA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definite mission and goals, real revenue on current products with next generation product opportunities clearly defined (and needed). Senior management is very proactive, disciplined, and on top of industry trends.

Cons

Hours can be long, and it can be difficult to access information needed to identify improvements. The learning curve is steep, and most other employees are also new to the company and industry - making it hard to ramp up quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep the rigorous, fast-paced new hire testing and selection process.

"Massive growth opportunity."

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work at Altisource Labs is very hands on and creates a positive challenge for its employees. Altisource Labs is very focused on building next-gen software products that will have an immediate and lasting impact on the financial services industry.

Cons

Long hours, but if you enjoy rolling up your sleeves and working hard, you'll be among some of the most talented people in the software industry.

"A new approach to corporate innovation"

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big upside, proven history of spin-out success, a methodology for only hiring the "best and brightest"

Cons

Innovation requires change. Not everyone likes change/change is hard.

Advice to Management

Fail fast/fail often.

"Quit your other job. Work here."

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The growth around here really is incredible. Growth naturally opens holes in any organization, but anyone here can fill take some ownership and plug the holes, which is part of why this place is so exciting and has such tremendous career opportunities.

The products and companies we are building here are going to revolutionize the industry. The mortgage industry is highly regulated and sits on archaic software, which takes a lot of capital, a multi-year timeline, and a reputable beta customer to disrupt. Very difficult to do as a stand-alone start-up, but those ingredients exist here.

Killer instinct. Most people here have it, and it is contagious. Most employees are "always on", and never stop driving.

Brilliant, historically successful management.

Cons

Altisource Labs falls within the larger Altisource org, and not everyone in the rest of the org has the same inherent drive, so simple cross-org tasks can take a long time.

Lack of domain knowledge: Lots of smart software professionals. Not many mortgage professionals.

Advice to Management

Focus. Value is only added when projects are completed, not when they are started.

"All a buzz in Boston!"

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Startup environment, resources, less riskier than many other startups due to parent company. Right in Boston. Progressive thinkers. Fun events, the people here are really what make my days at work so good. I love my team...smart people!

Cons

Growing so fast, we are outgrowing our own office space. People are spread out, but excited we will have a brand new office soon.

"Really Unique Place"

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Definitely not for everyone, but I am having a blast here. If you can handle the intensity, the Labs really stands out. The kind of stuff that's done here is similar to what you might find in the R&D labs of large well heeled internet companies. Incredibly smart and talented people who are strongly motivated and self-driven, a huge amount of opportunity and the resources to pursue it, and an environment that rewards creativity. The Labs demands you dig deep and really push yourself by challenging conventional notions of the best way to get things done. The culture may be polarizing - some people thrive, others are turned off.

Cons

The commute sucks if you live west of Boston, as do many of the folks here. Sometimes people let their passion get the better of themselves for short periods of time (but not for long), so you have to wear your big kids boots. Pretty normal for an organization with these kinds of growing pains. Finally, the organization is still transitioning out of legacy code to new platforms, which is painful no matter where your are or how you cut it.

Advice to Management

Keep finding the joy - don't lose faith

"Exciting, innovative work with smart, driven and nice people"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome projects creating the future of consumer analytics tools. Team is very smart and ambitious, and there is ample opportunity to bring in your own ideas and to learn. At least the people I met so far are very nice. Work-life balance so far is fine. Culture is pretty cool and there is plenty of free food.

Cons

Benefits are below expectation, especially the health plans. Bureaucracy and IT infrastructure are source of some frustration.

Advice to Management

Get better health plans. Provide faster Internet.

"Ambitious Company with great upside"

I have been working at Altisource (Less than a year)

Pros

Altisource Labs is a fairly new and very well funded company. It is a part of a much bigger financial company, but focuses only on software, and building a set of systems for modern finance and consumer analysis. The company is built of four or five (depending on how you count) semi-independent business units. There are lots of interesting and very talented people, at its best the culture is very informal, and the projects in flight are state of the art technology. What's even more important for me, the BU leadership understands the importance of proper market analysis and product management, and staffs accordingly. The leadership team is actually quite amazing, most with prior successful startup experience.
    The comp is very good and growth prospects are excellent IMO. Some nice and friendly perks, such as company lunches on Friday.
    Loving it.

Cons

There are still many shadows of the big parent company, which Labs is trying to aggressively address. For the most part they are reporting and IT annoyances, benefits schedule, etc. Hiring process is very formal (which worked very well for me personally) but may challenge some.

"Highly intelligent and affable colleagues; dynamic and innovative work environment"

I have been working at Altisource full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been very happy and satisfied working at Altisource Labs. It is a good environment if you are bright, creative, and intellectually curious. People are very willing and eager to help new employees get acclimated to their roles and Altisource as a whole. The Company is doing a lot of interesting work which means there are a lot of opportunities to work on interesting projects, and make meaningful contributions as new technologies are developed. The location is awesome too! It is very convenient that we are so close to South Station and many other attractions in Boston proper.

Cons

The Company has a lot of snacks in the office. There are healthy options, e.g., apples. But you could put on a few pounds if you did not exercise self-restraint... ;)

Advice to Management

Management does good job of communicating with employees and discussing Altisource's vision for the future, so my only advice would be to keep doing this.

"Great People, Great Resources, Great Company"

Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Altisource full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Tremendous opportunity -work in cutting edge technologies
    2. Great Perks and benefits
    3. Boston Downtown location
    4. Extremely talented colleagues
    5. Fast paced environment

Cons

Requirements are not always clear as things are moving very fast.
    Company is growing very fast. So the office space is a bit cramped. There s a plan to move to bigger office next year.

Advice to Management

Monthly town hall to share company's growth plan and focus with the employees.