Altria Territory Sales Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Altria Chairman & CEO Martin J. Barrington
Martin J. Barrington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Best Company in the US"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Altria full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most important pro is Altria’s focus on people. I came in while serving as a reservist in the military and Altria has gone above and beyond to make sure I am taken care of from every angel. I can’t even express how grateful I am. Benefits are insane! Can’t beat them. I use to pay a pricey vehicle payment and now I pay nothing and have an awesome company vehicle. The job itself is challenging but very interesting if you’re into marketing and pricing. You will learn quite a bit if you come in with the right attitude. Work life balance is also great. I have a family so this is very nice to experience.

Cons

I’m not a BSer so if there were cons, I would write them. Different people in different locations might think otherwise. It all depends on personalities I guess but for me, it’s been flawless. Relocation isn’t a problem for me but if you’re not willing to relocate, you may not have much opportunity for promotions.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing. Your work is significantly impacting this company in a positive way.

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I worked at Altria full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great work-life balance.

Cons

Management determines your success

Advice to Management

Treat all employees fairly, and stay engaged within the training process.

3. "Great Sales Job"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Autonomy to a degree. You get to make your own plans and are held accountable for results. Company car, 401k generous company contribution, great starting salary and decent benefits.

Cons

Industry in decline so management is always looking to reduce costs, which translates to downsizing, less perks. Job becomes increasingly complex as new operational companies are acquired.

Advice to Management

Your people are your strength and advantage, but management knows this and leverages I️t well.

4. "Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Altria full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company. Amazing benefits and a caring/engaging working environment.

Cons

You're selling tobacco and tobacco products. If it doesn't sit well with you morally, you will eventually be over the role The company has a way of making one believe what they're doing is moral and right.

"Territory Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at Altria (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is very nice, with profit sharing, signing bonuses, and possibilities for yearly commission bonuses based on performance. They have great transparency with upper level management and room for promotion early on

Cons

You have to go into gas stations and promote sales strategies to retail owners. They care more about your development plan online compared to your progress you make in person. They have a very linear way of sales strategies that they want you to follow. It's very hard to take off an entire week because you have to hit a certain amount of calls in a small window. Also there have been numerous layoffs and the tobacco industry is in decline

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Hilo, HI

I worked at Altria full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for a young graduate who wants to move into management. Good salary, excellent benefits, great annual bonuses, and incentives.

Cons

Even with the negativity of tobacco this company has managed to make a profit and grow. Everyone or mostly everyone wants to be in management so they all try to out do everyone even if it means a little back stabbing. It's a push push to get the retailers to order all the products whether they sell or not. The territory sales reps are under constant review from their managers and there is always room for improvement. If you like that environment and want to rise to the top this is the place for you. Stick it out for 20 to 30 years and you will have it made.
    I always compared it to working for a cult, but they were good to me when I had to retire early due to a disability.

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to a company that constantly makes a profit and takes care of its employees and stockholders. Even just about everyone hate them for what they sell they always manage to stay on top.

"Great if you like independence and free time"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your manager, you have a lot of autonomy and independence. If you plan and prioritize effectively on the job you have a massive potential to create a lot of free time during the week.

Cons

Clientele, negative stigma against tobacco, few opportunities to move upward in company without relocation.

Advice to Management

Create new positions within local areas to promote professional growth

"Values driven organizaton"

I worked at Altria full-time

Pros

All levels of the organization are committed to knowing and living out the company values. Training, development, and leading with insights was also a focus. The people I worked with were smart, genuine and willing to help.

Cons

There are career path options, but more challenging to get cross-functional experiences.

"Work hard, play hard"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Altria full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have autonomy in the role (if you actually do your job). The role is what you make of it. It can be a very executional job if you let it but there are so many opportunities to use your strategic skill sets to solve business and organizational challenges. To be successful here, you have to be willing to work hard. You have to be a self-starter, problem-solver who can manage multiple things at once.

Wonderful benefits, company vehicle with gas card, 100% MBA tuition reimbursement, cell phone and home internet reimbursement, 401k with matching and annual drop, great resources for families including extended maternity leave, paternity leave, and adoption assistance. Great holiday and vacation plan. Employee wine store with 50% discount. Strong company with a focus on profitability and shareholder return. If you have a long career here and invest well into your 401k, you'll be able to play hard in life!

Cons

To be promoted, you have to be open to relocation, as most sales jobs do require. Positive point is the relocation assistance provided really helps make the move worth it!

There are always a lot of initiatives. It's a fast moving company. Can be hard to keep up.

Convenience Store retail can be a less than desirable environment and this is where you'll spend majority of your time.

Advice to Management

Reward your top performers better so they have more incentive for their efforts. Currently, underperforming peers who barely do the bare minimum receive a very similar rating or pay increase as top performers. This can be frustrating. The merit increase program needs to be reworked because of this. Inconsistent standards across the org. Some managers coach and manage and others are completely blind to the performance levels of their people.

Don't reduce your benefits or perks!

10. "Great job but can take over if you let it."

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager

I have been working at Altria full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, Retirement Plan, Benefits, and work/life balance

Cons

Lots of work on your own with little time seeing coworkers, if you don't stop work yourself you can work nonstop through the night.

Advice to Management

Make more consistent training across the regions so everyone gets similar intensive training and is better prepared for the job.