Altum Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Pinchotti

1. "Good, Could be Great"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Reston, VA

I worked at Altum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several recent reviews are not objective enough: bad ones by disgruntled former employees then swift responses.

The work environment is pretty good. There are a lot of solid team members. You can make an impact on the job. The CEO is a really nice guy and he communicates with everyone in a very respectful manner. You will grow and learn on the job.

There are exiting plans and potentially great things that can happen at this company.

The technology side is managed wonderfully. When I was hired I was sort of thrown to the fire, but I was mentored well. The mentoring throughout my time there was exceptional.

Cons

The main issue that prevents it from being 5 star is there is a sense that maybe great things won't happen. The company has grown and shrunk several times over the previous 5 years. It use to have 100 employees and now it is down to the 20s. It is hard to give a company 5 stars when that happens.

Advice to Management

The technology side is managed wonderfully. I wouldn't change anything there.

There is some drama in other departments that should be minimized, because too much drama can negatively affect the work environment.

It would be nice to see all leaders in the office regularly, because that leads to better team unit.

2. "Great talent, bad decisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Altum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Altum has great products and great people. The atmosphere is friendly and fun. There are diverse opportunities to grow and excellent benefits.

Cons

Altum has great products but has recently not been able to make them profitable. In spite of great people working at Altum, it continues to make bad decisions that are keeping costs high for its products.

Advice to Management

Change the direction that you have followed in the last few years.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Reston, VA

Pros

I have been associated with Altum for over 10 years, as both contractor and employee. Altum is a small and agile company, with two primary business units: Grants Management Solutions and Performance Management/Business Analytics. Employees have direct access to executives, and executives are always eager to listen to and act upon employee ideas and suggestions. Altum's executive leadership truly cares about its people: employees, customers, and community. A bulk of Altum's customers are non-profit organizations, and the company culture reflects that by sponsoring company charitable activities and encouraging employees to participate in community service through a generous community service leave policy.

In addition to the flagship grants management solutions, Altum has a successful performance management and business analytics practice, building tools that enable our clients to perform their business practices more accurately and efficiently. Through custom developed applications and partnerships with other products, Altum employees deliver state of the art solutions to solve modern business problems.

Altum employs a diverse staff of software engineers, business experts, sales/marketing, project leadership, and customer care personnel. Each of our employees is skilled in more than one discipline, and often serve multiple roles.

Highlights:
    Small agile company with no red tape with respect to decision making.
    Easy access to executives.
    Work with clients who are dedicated to improving the world.
    Interesting and diverse project portfolio.
    Excellent benefits (probably best in the industry).
    Open and collaborative environment.

Cons

No Cons... I love working for this company!

"Good company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Altum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company was fair and responsive.

Cons

I have not experienced any negatives.

Advice to Management

Not applicable

6. "Rewarding, Small, and Accessible"

I have been working at Altum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with Altum for nearly 10 years and find it to be a great place to work. Having also worked for a subsidiary of a very large corporation, nothing beats working for a small, nimble company. You'll find very little red tape here along with accessible management. The benefits available to employees are extremely generous and rival those of larger firms. It also shows that Altum cares about its employees: offering these great options isn't necessary, but they choose to do so and enhance them when possible. Perhaps the best part about working at Altum is that quality work does not go unnoticed. If your idea of a career is to collect a paycheck and fly under the radar while sticking to the minimum job requirements, this probably isn't the place for you. However, if you take pride in your work and want to feel accomplished at the end of the day, while also being recognized for it, then I'd sign up and start advancing your career.

Cons

The pros certainly outweigh the cons, but small companies can have their downsides. When the economy dips, it will typically sting a smaller organization more than a larger corporation. While the necessary changes aren't everyone's favorite, Altum has always been able to dig itself out.

7. "Long Term employee"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Altum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability - There are plenty of current employees who have worked there 5-7 years, some even 10+. The clients are often long term too, although new clients are brought in, the oldest consistent projects having been going on at Altum for more than 15 years.

Low stress/pressure (at least on my projects) - My projects have minimal deadlines and very rare crunch times. It sounds like other teams may have more stress/deadlines sometimes, but I can't really speak to that.

Some employees can work remotely - it depends on the project I think. I've been remote for a long time now, which has been great for me and my family.

I usually enjoy the work I'm doing and the technologies I'm working with. I have fairly limited contact with my co-workers, but they seem to as well.

Flexible hours - Altum prefers that employees are available during core business hours to enable communication, but I often miss some of the core hours and work evenings/Saturdays instead.

Benefits:

25 PTO days per year after working 6 years (15 PTO days/year at hire), used for vacation/sickness in 4 hour increments.

10 federal holidays, except Altum switches 11/11 Veterans Day for the Friday after Thanksgiving, so we get a long Thanksgiving weekend.

We're told by benefits folks that we have a rich benefits package, health care costs have gone up, but it sounds like it is going up more in most other places, and that Altum is eating most of the increased costs themselves.

2% 401K match, if employee puts in 4% or more.

Cons

Although I'm now getting paid a good salary, there were several years where it was insufficient and I felt very underpaid. After writing the CEO, he said it would be taken care of, but nothing seemed to change for months. So I decided to leave. I gave multi-month advance notice so I could train a replacement. Then they took action, significantly upping my salary and asking what I wanted, offering a new title etc. After 3 consecutive large annual salary bumps, my salary had been reset about 60% higher than when I was ready to leave.

8. "Great place to work"

Pros

A strong promoter of work-life balance; flexible work schedules; human-scale: front-line employees have substantial, real opportunities to interact with top leaders; smart, honest people to work with; great place to get broad experience; good opportunities to grow professionally if you're willing to make them of your job

Cons

as a small company, it doesn't automatically provide the sense of job stability that comes naturally with large corporations.

Advice to Management

It would be good to see more business growth

"Unstable Company and Untrustworthy Executives"

Pros

The staff who work at the company are generally very pleasant and try hard to do a good job.

Cons

The company has been in existence for more than 18 years but they are still an extremely small company with very low revenue. This is because the executives have no solid plan for growing the business, have no long-term strategy, and cannot manage large projects in a profitable way.

The executives will tell their employees how much they care about them, but their actions certainly speak louder than their words. They pretend to be concerned about their employees, but that is only to the extent that their employees can provide them with enough profit so they can buy expensive cars, second homes, etc. Also, they kept saying how "fun" the job was. That in itself is usually a red flag.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a business and learn how to be true leaders.

"Not A Stable Company"

I worked at Altum full-time

Pros

Company is in a good location in Reston - close to W&OD trail, not too far from new silver metro line and Reston town center. Employees are kind and easy to get along with on a personal level.

Cons

Very small, unstable company. Owners are definitely detached and primarily concerned with own well being - while seeming to "care," it's completely for their own security - not yours.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing the company and actually caring for your employees - not in word only. The company is a second thought to your personal lives.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Altum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Great benefits. Fun place to work.

Cons

Limited room for growth and development.