Altus Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 7, 2019

3.4
Robert Courteau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work life balance with a fun team" (in 10 reviews)

• "Great work environment and culture" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is impossible to talk to" (in 8 reviews)

• "Pay could be better and sometimes have to work long hours" (in 7 reviews)

1. "consultant"

I worked at Altus Group full-time

Pros

great benefits and salary for starters

Cons

hard to get used to doing the same tasks each quarter. do well and advance quickly.

2. "Corporate advantage/disadvantage"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Altus Group full-time

Pros

- Exposure to analytics and valuations of all institutional property types
    -Educated coworkers and experienced managers
    -Affiliation with a global and growing company who owns the widely industry integrated software ARGUS

Cons

- Very stressful enviornment because of large workloads with a constant since of urgency
    - Management is more focused on pushing out deadlines than building personal relationships which would lead to increased productivity
    - Expect late nights, some weekends, and regular infringement on scheduled off days

Advice to Management

Reduce workloads to the point where people in the office have time to share information and think about their work, rather than grind to meet deadlines. This probably starts with your own workloads. Results will likely include process improvement, meaningful relationships, increase of morale/reduction of stress, increased retention, and an improvement to the bottom line.

3. "Disconnected, and misogynistic, but there is hope."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Altus Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started in the Phoenix office the atmosphere was relaxed, and easy to work in. The flexibility was available with simple communication. Benefits were fair. The job was exactly what was expected. It was exciting to get in on the ground floor in a new office, and take on as much work as possible.

Cons

Changes and quick rises in young leadership due to growth, and acquisitions led to a slow, unpleasant turn in how the company was run. Narcissistic, dramatic employees willing to butter up management are allowed to dictate narratives around fellow employees despite regular, consistent, above average work from these unsuspecting employees.

I’ve personally encountered sexual harassment from leadership outside our office. Years later that person become one of my bosses, and made my life a living hell with regular micro managing, and belittling from himself, and his brood of women. I became so uncomfortable, and frazzled I finally had to resign without notice to escape the abuse. My sanity was not worth it. It’s so unfortunate because this was one of my favorite jobs, and it turned into my worst nightmare.

I’ve also seen a temporary employee lose her job for simply being too pretty, jealousy ensued, other employees lied to management and said she was smoking weed at work to end her temp contract. She was doing nothing of the sort. It was wildly unsettling to see someone lose their job over such pettiness. This woman was doing a good job, making progress, and she came in daily with a good attitude. She is a mother, and was new to town trying to make a new life. According to the employees that couldn’t handle her attractive nature she was “making a lot of mistakes”. When pressed for more information the responses were vague, and pin pointed a few mistakes any new person would make in this role, but could be fixed with simple communication.

Lastly, a member or my own team went behind my back to sabotage my work over jealously of a promotion I had recently received. It was caught by myself, and management. He was told “hey not the best move”. No apology to me, no thought of how he intentionally tried to cause a client service failure. Furthermore, I was told I needed to fix that relationship. Despite my better judgement I did attempt to reach out only to be ignored repeatedly. I can only assume the leniency was because he is a male, and I am female because there is no excuse for those actions in my mind. An employee blatantly attempting cause a client service failure no matter how big, or small should be terminated, period. What’s going to happen the next time that person gets jealous over another co worker? Why take that risk?

Advice to Management

There are some wonderful leaders in this company, and there are some bordering on sociopathic. I hope the good ones are given what they need to succeed. Don’t allow cancerous people to kill an entires office morale, keep the peace or not cause waves. Not every employee is the same, people have different aptitude’s. Embrace differences, and let people shine in their strengths. A little support, and a thank you can go a long way.

"Smart, capable employees"

I worked at Altus Group full-time

Pros

Good people, smart, hardworking, very good quality of services to the clients

Cons

Parent company in Canada is has a small company mentality with big company holdings and continue to purchase companies to establish presence in various markets. Not well organized that creates problems downstream. Need to assess each subsidiary individually.

5. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Altus Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits, good internal resources, and quality, supportive management.

Cons

Highly fractionalized organization due in large part to historical growth by acquisition strategies. The overarching corporate culture is not very positive, but some efforts are being made to make it a more cohesive, enjoyable environment.

Advice to Management

Focus on greater corporate continuity as well as how to leverage the complementary aspects of the firm's diverse service offerings.

"Misleading Experience"

Pros

Fairly easy day to day job. Lenient with breaks and time off.

Cons

Lack of management and accountability for projects. Very little opportunity for growth. Paid under market value.

Advice to Management

Start asking your employees for their ideas and feedback.

"Work Here for a Few Years On Your Career Journey"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Altus Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work on great cutting edge products.

Cons

You may not be able to move up after you have been there a while. Not a lot of growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Create a formal development track for employees to grow and gain promotions.

8. "Strong Career Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Altus Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team environment where hard work & producing results are rewarded

Cons

Very little back office support in the way of HR & IT

Advice to Management

Build the necessary infrastructure to support the continued hiring & acquiring

"Analyst"

I have been working at Altus Group full-time

Pros

Great place to work and great people

Cons

Environment can be stressful sometimes

"Great Opportunities to Learn and Grow"

I have been working at Altus Group full-time

Pros

Significant client base and exposure to great data and learning opportunities.

Cons

Growing pains from start-up to larger corporation.