Alzheimer's Foundation of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Alzheimer's Foundation of America Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

2.4
Alzheimer's Foundation of America CEO Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr. (no image)
Charles J. Fuschillo, Jr.
  1. "Excellent company to work for. HR Director is an active listener."

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AFA has grown so fast in the last few years. We now have better offices, better benefits and lots of training. New staff members are great to work with.

Cons

Not enough of time in the day to serve those in need.

Advice to Management

Thanks for improving the company. Keep providing training to the employees.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-10-08
  2. "A Toxic Work Environment"

I worked at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time

Pros

The general staff in office are friendly people just trying to do their job and the mission is great when achieved.

Cons

It all starts from the top. Upper management is inexperienced, naive and abusive. Lack of communication is rampant with employees being given tasks from one executive which contradicts what the other said. Timelines also always change. Deadlines aren’t given but a day later a final product is expected. Or a week before the stated deadline, a completed project is demanded. There is no understanding of the need for... infrastructure to make a program function properly. The only focus is what looks good on paper and getting numbers up even if there isn’t a working product at the other end. This lack of knowledge also leads to many outreach projects which only harass or annoy the target market. Details of projects or the objective of a task are rarely explained if told at all. But you will catch serious heat if something is missed or not done in the way they wanted, despite the fact that you were given no guidance on how they wanted it. Even if you are told exactly how they want something, you still might get chastised because they changed their mind last minute and you should have known that. You also can’t ask for more details or you are scolded for not knowing, bothering them or because “you don’t need to know that”. Blame rolls down hill at AFA. Direct oversights or flat out mistakes by upper management are either blamed on the staff or the situation is twisted to make it seem like an informed decision was made to not address that item. Staff is held to a different standard than management because they walk on water and want to believe they are kings and queens as opposed to executives at a small non-profit. The most serious problem is the lack of common/professional courtesy, patience or stress management. When things pick up, get busy or they just had a bad day, things get really bad. Yelling at people, snapping at them, becoming annoyed when someone asks a question and insulting staff. The mood in the office is noticeably better when upper management is away. It creates an environment where employees are in fear and walking on egg shells at all times. It’s too bad because there might be an opportunity to learn if they could be bothered to interact with staff normally and provide information to properly complete a task. The most troubling part is that upper management is either honestly unaware that they are treating their employees with such disrespect or don’t care. They seem to be happy wearing blinders to the record breaking turn over and negative feeling in the office or are truly convinced that all of the problems are because of “bad employees” and not the one constant, the executives, who can ruin even the best and most positive employee. Either way it’s a serious problem and no one should submit themselves to these conditions, no matter if you love the cause or are desperate for a job. There ARE better options out there to fit your need for a job or a noble cause.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and address the obvious problem (person) which everyone knows is there. The one constant that links all issues, complaints and negative outlook.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-10-06
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"TOXIC ENVIRONMENT - RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN: It's a Trap!!!"

I worked at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Paycheck - Serving the community - HR

Cons

- Disrespect - Unprofessional Behaviors - Some members of management openly slander each other and junior staff - Sabotage is encouraged by some members of management - No room for growth or an establishment of a career - Unclear Directives (and you will be blamed for management's failure to efficiently communicate) - Gossip, fabrication, rumors - apparently high school CHILDREN work here - LOUD personal... phone calls disrupt the work environment, yet there is no accountability. HR addresses behavior and then they hit a brick wall. - Favoritism - some are included in events and projects, while others are not - Nepotism - staff members are reprimanded and/or slandered for taking a personal phone call in private, even if it was an emergency. A blind eye is turned to favorites who are on social media or applying to other organizations, if they did not get a desired promotion or recognition. I suppose that a personal life is not acceptable for the average employee. - Tampering of information from other programs/departments - lack of exercising the channels of command and mere protocol

Advice to Management

Fire those who cause the organization to be a revolving door! People are content with making six figure salaries, as long as they can sit comfortably and parade around like kings and queens, while others are belittled. Apparently, "by any means necessary" applies here as well; if I have to stomp on you or ignore the fact that you're being stomped on, so that I can keep up appearances and not have hard work to do, I... will! Get some structure and integrity, and lose the hypocrisy! Actually BE the mission - Talk is CHEAP!

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-05-14
  5. "Driven by the mission....."

Current Employee - Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

The mission of the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America (AFA) is to provide support, services and education to individuals, families and caregivers affected by Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias nationwide, and fund research for better treatment and a cure. It’s inspiring to me that I get to see each and every day the impact that AFA is making in the lives of those affected by Alzheimer’s disease. I am part of... a talented cohesive team that is truly driven by the mission. There are so many of us at AFA that work hard because we truly care about the work that we do and take pride in seeing the results. Since I have been at AFA the staff has grown in size and the dynamic between co-workers has become extremely positive. We are all here to support each other regardless of title, department, etc. The CEO has strengthened employee incentives and has recently enhanced our 401 K. He is also committed to keeping employees engaged with monthly brunch and learns, monthly lunches and an employee retreat.

Cons

There had been a lack of communication between departments. The CEO has taken steps to ensure that employees are kept informed about AFA happenings.

Advice to Management

Continue to support professional development and recognize employee growth potential/opportunities.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-11
  6. "Team Work Makes the Dream Work"

Current Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I have been working at Alzheimer's Foundation of America part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Easy to communicate and collaborate with co-workers on projects, programs or services. Everyone is willing to work together to focus on helping those who have been impacted by this disease. -Interactive trainings for staff to learn about new topics/projects/etc -Very supportive, and positive environment as everyone makes you feel welcomed. I always feel I can ask questions or seek assistance when needed.... -Valuable educational opportunities to increase your knowledge and enhance your skill set -Opportunities to grow professionally and network through different events offered

Cons

-Wish I could attend all the trainings they offer on Dementia Care

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-10
  7. "Good but could improve"

I have been working at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time

Pros

The work generally has a positive impact, good hours.

Cons

There is a large focus on growth and I get concerned with quality being sacrificed, though growth can also be a good thing. Sometimes I feel talked down to by upper management, and don’t like the hierarchical feel. Usually we aren’t told the office is closing early (summer Fridays/holidays) until the day of, which is inconsiderate to staff schedules/personal lives, making this quite frustrating rather than being a... benefit.

Advice to Management

Ask and listen to feedback, be more collaborative, have set days/times for when office closes early so people can plan appropriately.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-08
  8. "Inspired by AFA’s Mission and Growth"

Current Employee - Vice President of Development in New York, NY

I have been working at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is an exciting time to work for AFA. The organization is developing a new strategic plan, the CEO has a great vision for growth and is committed to creating a positive work environment. AFA offers non-monetary benefits (such as lunch and learns, monthly luncheons and staff retreats) and has enhanced its employee benefits ( a new company matching retirement plan). AFA values family and work-life balance,... creativity and innovation. The fundraising program has great potential, especially its major, gift, institutional giving and planned giving programs. AFA's communication team is supportive and works collaboratively with development in its marketing and communication efforts. The development team is motivated, dedicated and committed to the mission,

Cons

AFA has a small, but growing board of trustees, with limited volunteers. Its development operation needs more resources to implement a national donor relations program and major gift campaign. I'm hopeful we will overcome these challenges as AFA grows its voluntary leadership, implements its strategic plan and creates a stronger culture of philanthropy.

Advice to Management

Continue to support professional development, encourage collaboration and innovation.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-07
  9. "A Worthy Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

AFA has an extremely worthy mission and works very hard to provide help, support and services for families affected by Alzheimer's disease. Great team of employees who are energized, hard working, caring and work well together overall. A number of staff members have been personally impacted by Alzheimer's, so they truly understand and appreciate the importance of AFA's work. CEO is supportive and encourages... growth, innovation and creativity. He wants employees to grow and do more. He certainly expects people to work hard and perform, but those are expectations are no different from every other boss I've had.

Cons

Turnover was high in my first few months, but that has stabilized over the last year. Retirement plan was not the greatest initially, but now they just started offering a 401k program that includes an employer match, which is good. Some employees could use additional training, and hopefully management will continue to prioritize it.

Advice to Management

Continue working on ways to recognize employees and show appreciation for their hard work. Provide additional, constructive employee training.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-08

"Stay away. Trust me!"

Former Employee - Public Relations/Communications Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

I wish I could write a real pro. Other than the quote on quote mission, there is not a single good thing about working there.

Cons

HR will tell you what you want to hear, but nothing they say is true. Directors are so incredibly corrupt and are in competition with each other - they then blame everything on the middle management level. The middle managers inevitably take it out on the smaller guys. It’s a—for lack of a better word—evil system in a nonsensical company. Everything they say is a lie and their research is bogus, although they use... stock photos and videos that “warm your heart” and distract you from the fact that they steal everything. The hours are insane and it is a very thankless job. You work your behind off and get blamed for every little thing that goes wrong. The turnover rate is SO high and they try to cover it up by saying they “re-scaled the company and made it bigger to reach more people.” All in all, stay away. Don’t believe a word they say. And if you want to work for a REAL nonprofit and do actual good for the community, check out Alzheimer’s Association or literally anything else.

Advice to Management

Stop lying, stop using, stop betraying, stop being so smug and creating a perpetual cycle of abuse.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2019-01-04

"Good work experience"

I worked at Alzheimer's Foundation of America full-time

Pros

Great cause; decent hours; CEO was supportive; good environment to learn. The company has been implementing more initiatives lately to increase employee interaction and to further educate the community. It was a good experience for me.

Cons

I had noticed a lot of turnover, but hopefully that will change as HR and management seem to be trying to create changes to make it a more positive work environment.

Advice to Management

Keep training employees; develop better rapport between executive staff and support staff.

Alzheimer's Foundation of America2018-03-04