Alzheimer's Society "people affected" Reviews | Glassdoor

Alzheimer's Society Employee Reviews about "people affected"

Found 72 reviews

3.3
Alzheimer's Society CEO Jeremy Hughes
Jeremy Hughes
Pros
  • "people really care about the Society and put people affected by dementia at the heart of everything they do(in 12 reviews)

• "The work we do for people affected by dementia(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "(in 7 reviews)

• "I wouldn't give a penny to this so-called charity(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "people affected"

Return to all Reviews

"Disappointing"

I worked at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

Great user involvement, good media team, excellent service delivery staff committed to people affected by dementia

Cons

Lack of personal development, weak HR support, poor people management, poor change management, hierarchical, cliquey

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, value loyalty and commitment,

Alzheimer's Society2019-03-21

Alzheimer's Society Response

March 29, 2019Recruitment Assistant

Hi, Thank you for taking your time and sharing your review with us. Your feedback is very important, if you do want to share some of your concerns or make a complaint please email us on recruitment@alzheimers.org.uk

2. "Fantastic Charity"

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

I thoroughly enjoy my current role as a Dementia Support Worker. I feel privileged to be involved with such a fantastic organisation making a real difference to people affected by dementia and their carers. I have a wonderful team of colleagues and my line manager is incredibly supportive.

Cons

Speaking as a young professional, career progression is slower in a locality office compared to London as there are fewer roles available.

Alzheimer's Society2018-12-18
  3. "changing the landscape of dementia..."

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

- people really care about the Society and put people affected by dementia at the heart of everything they do - high energy, creative and innovative - senior management are accessible and approachable - you know you are making a difference in changing the landscape of dementia forever - good benefits and supportive flexible working environment (different working patterns, hours, working from home etc)

Cons

- sometimes overly ambitious and want to do it all - capacity and delivery can be an issue - decision making isn't always as clear as you might like - sometimes there is just too much going on at the same time and it makes it hard to constantly re-prioritise

Advice to Management

- keep listening to both employees and volunteers on how to do things even better and keep updated on progress made - the Society is full of people who go above and beyond, but capacity is an issue and people will tire eventually, so balance is key

Alzheimer's Society2018-02-19

Alzheimer's Society Response

March 23, 2018.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. We really appreciate your feedback.

"Dementia Support Worker"

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

I really like that the employees get to see and hear Jeremy regularly via online briefings etc and although not met him he really seems like a good guy who believes in his work and his team. There are a lot of training opportunities either in person or elearning. An amazing cause that everybody seems genuinely passionate to all be working towards. Benefits for a charity are very good compared to some such as pension...

Cons

Salary could be higher to reflect the responsibility of the role and how diverse the workload is. I have given it 4 stars based on this and the fact that I have still a lot to learn about the society in general which I am really looking forward to doing. Hoping for a long and happy career with the Society.

Alzheimer's Society2017-01-28

"Poor pay, less than competitors"

Current Employee - Service Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Supporting people affected by dementia and being able to make a difference

Cons

Inflexible career opportunities - no internal promotion system . Bureaucratic. Poor pay and rewards.

Advice to Management

Provide more internal opportunity for staff development. Spinal pay to reward talent. Review junior management pay.

Alzheimer's Society2017-02-17

"Alzheimer's Society"

Current Employee - Organizational Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

The work we do for people affected by dementia. The people, employees and volunteers. The development opportunities.

Cons

Honestly, there aren't any cons.

Alzheimer's Society2016-11-11
  7. "Good but could be great"

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society

Pros

Lots of dedicated people who really want to make a difference to people affected by dementia's lives

Cons

Can be bureaucratic with too many rules and processes meaning a slow progression for anything new to get done

Advice to Management

Let Managers have more control without organisational rules designed to help actually ending up hindering

Alzheimer's Society2016-11-18
  8. "An ambitous and inspiring place to work"

Current Employee - Head of Internal Communications and Engagement in London, England

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

Alzheimer's Society is driven above all else to support people affected by dementia. The true dedication of the volunteers and employees I work with, is plain to see every day. If you like a challenge, but with great support and a collaborative environment the I would really recommend it as a place to work. There is a real ambition to do more, do it better, be more inclusive, really listen to the people we are here...

Cons

There aren't many down sides. I guess with the scale of the ambition comes a reasonably heavy workload. It has always been manageable so far.

Advice to Management

keep going - we will do it!

Alzheimer's Society2016-10-07
  9. "Passionate people making a difference. Every day."

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

The greatest positives are working with wonderful, caring, dedicated, skilled and passionate people and seeing the difference we make every day for people affected by dementia. The passion of our volunteers and employees is second to nothing I've experienced, even in my near 20 years experience in the sector - working for a number of charities. There is a genuine selflessness and camaraderie with everyone trying to play...

Cons

With such an unmet need, there is a lot to do and there is a lot going on. It would be nice, on occasion, to slow down and reflect on the difference we're making, and to consider the totality of our activities.

Advice to Management

Keep considering the capacity and wellbeing (and through this, the retention and nurturing) of our people. Also, keep remembering that it takes time for initiatives and activities to land across a widely dispersed Society. Let's keep ensuring we do the right things and that we do them well.

Alzheimer's Society2016-08-12

"An inspiring place to work"

I have been working at Alzheimer's Society full-time

Pros

Overall I love working for Alzheimer's Society because of the great work that they do both at a local service level and at a national and policy and research level. It really feels like the work the organisation does is making a difference to the lives of people affected by dementia and is a leading figure in dementia care internationally.

Cons

My main gripe is the lack of development opportunities for those who are in the earlier stages of their career. Amongst the lower levels of staff there are often anxieties about job securities, especially for those on fixed term contracts. There often seems to be a lot of change and re-organisation ongoing which can be unsettling and in the past has not always been handled well.

Advice to Management

Try to reduce the number of fixed term contracts. Make the development and retention of good staff a priority.

Alzheimer's Society2016-05-31