AmSurg Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 9, 2016

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AmSurg President, CEO, and Director Christopher A. Holden
Christopher A. Holden

"corporate culture is lacking"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AmSurg (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are really good

Cons

the management is petty and makes decisions based off of favoritism. Fear is the main tactic used as motivation. Management lacks people skills. They will fire you for anything.

2. "Not the worst workplace but far from the best"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN

I worked at AmSurg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 Weeks PTO for entry level* (however, you almost always will have to work extra to make up the time)

Cons

This is a fine company if you are needing to get your foot in the door of the accounting world. Basically, they offer sub-average compensation, but you get a lot of experience that looks good on a resume. However, staff accountants are notoriously over-worked here. From budgeting season till year end (basically Sept - end of Jan), you will constantly work over 40 hours a week and a number of weekends if you hope to stay in the managers' good graces.

I had 3 different managers in less than 2 years and each one came with their own specific, precise demands for how my job should be done. Somehow, by the last manager, though I was working harder than ever, I was being given the impression that my job performance was getting worse. Your success and happiness at this job literally depends on the manager you have, and unfortunately that's a continual roll of the dice here.

They have high turnover for a reason. In a nutshell, get in, get some experience, and get out. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Do everything different because it's not working

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AmSurg full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and there is some very useful technology in place in the office. Very open work environment.

Cons

There is a strong group or clic mentality where I work. If you're not part of the group, then you tend to be ignored. Meetings run over the scheduled times. Not a strong sense of department direction.

Advice to Management

Not much that can be done. But sometimes a manager needs to be a manager and not a friend to the employees. Not everything is a group decision.

5. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AmSurg as an intern

Pros

friendly people to work with who are down to earth

Cons

siloed departments and work in general. amsurg needs to get employees communicating more across departments

"Good People -Small Family-type Feel"

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at AmSurg full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmSurg has a lot of wonderful people working for it. Many are experts at what they do- and are very professional.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement. Some teams (work is divided by regions) are favored more by senior management. Interal communication lacking. No employee satisfaction survey.

Advice to Management

Develop more formal recognition program. Develop internal communications (like a newsletter) and revamp Intranet. Implement annual satisfaction survey and invest more in employees.

7. "AmSurg is pretty good for the most part"

Former Employee - I Thought This Was Anonymos in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - I Thought This Was Anonymos in Nashville, TN

Pros

Good healthcare company with a fairly simple business model. Small company feel and culture. Company has good reputation, has been managed well fiscally. Casual and congenial culture for the most part. Lots of opportunity to imoprove things if you have the creativity. Things are going to be even better with the new CEO in place.

Cons

In some areas the compensation is way too low. Some departments are paternalistic. Communication is poor regarding changes. IT infrastructure left a lot to be desired; however, this seems to be changing. Travel is extensive in certain groups and senior management basically has an "accept it or leave" attitude.

Advice to Management

Communicate. Analyze issues and make decisions, then act. Hold people accountable and don't let them slide.

8. "Great People to work with.. Bad Manager"

Pros

Great People to work with
    Great Benefits

Cons

Manager in position that shouldn't have been