AmTrust Financial Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Barry D. Zyskind

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • AmTrust has a wonderful work-life balance and the company culture as an entrepreneurial spirit that is infectious (in 10 reviews)

• Good place to start your career (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is poorly managed by upper management (in 13 reviews)

• Unfortunately, even the best salaries cannot make up for the toxic work environment (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast Growing Company with Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmTrust is a fast growing company that fosters collaboration and professional development. All of the managers and executives I have worked with have been helpful and they do not micromanage their employees. AmTrust has a wonderful work-life balance and the company culture as an entrepreneurial spirit that is infectious. If you want to work for a young, fast-growing company that will give you pathways to success, I would highly recommend.

Cons

I think there needs to be a clear, company-wide organizational chart.

Advice to Management

Continue to give your employees opportunities for growth and the company will continue to grow.

2. "Great Benefits!!!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seven Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seven Hills, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment and benefits are great with the company. Coworkers are awesome and the company really takes care of their employees.

Cons

Management can use a little work and the lack of cooperation with other departments make it difficult to complete my work.

3. "I'm loving it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth. If you show initiative and have a great attitude you'll go far. AmTrust prefers to promote from within.

Work from home opportunities. Management is pretty flexible with your schedule.

Lack of structure. I listed this as a perk because this allows you to get your hands in multiple departments and try new things without the typical blockades set up in a more formal work environment.

Tons of time off. PTO starts out at 18 days a year plus 11 paid holidays!

Cool perks like standing desks and a very relaxed summer dress code (you can wear shorts).

Cons

Due to a lack of formal written policies there can be confusion when it comes to what is allowed versus what is not. This can vary per department and location.

Lack of structure. I listed this as a con because sometimes there isn't a clear answer and you need to be OK with that. You work with your team to figure out the best solution. Some people love this type of environment, some don't.

Health insurance could be better. Specifically prescription coverage.

There are a good amount of growing pains. AmTrust grows at a rate few other companies experience. This leads to delays in processes and often times there's a lack of communication.

Advice to Management

While you have regular interaction with your leadership team, don't forget to sit down with lower level employees. They're the heart and soul of your department.

4. "Working at large commercial insurer."

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company involved in several lines of business.

Cons

No opportunities for advancement and company going through some tough times.

"Treats me well, great employer"

Current Employee - Level II Support Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Level II Support Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, travel re-imbursement, and flexible. Pay is decent, with raises, bonuses, and overtime. I'm finally being paid appropriately for what I love doing

Cons

My main struggle when starting was trying to remember the names of everyone I met on the first week. So many great people.

"It's just meh"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I worked at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO. Small improvements seems like huge achievements to them. My department was fairly flexible on time. The dual monitors are nice.

Cons

Culture is abysmal. No investment in the workforce. Bad management is permitted even though directors will tell you they know they are terrible.

Advice to Management

Start caring just a little about the workers

"A Company that's always growing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great company to work for.

Cons

Not a lot in this area, biggest issue is communication but it seems to be getting better.

8. "The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Nice amount of PTO
    -Managers don’t manage their people
    -Some great people
    -Free leather notebook for better reviews(not specifically glassdoor but others)
    -decent benefits
    -ok pay, well now. They are trying to standardize everything because the same group could have $20k difference for the same title. Until recently EVERYONE had the same title, whether you were a tester, BA, or PM.
    -plenty of floors to hide on and not actually work
    -free crappy coffee and tea, and no expectation of cleaning up after yourself in the kitchens
    - Healthcare Clinic is very convenient

Cons

-wheel of luck for great supervisor assignment. Some are rock stars some are duds
    -disconnect between upper management (including VP up) and real world experience
    -zero culture, well unless you are of the culture of flying below the radar to do just enough to stay employed then you are thriving
    -Tend to hire people in groups that have enough people and not enough work, and burn out people in other areas that beg and plead for more people.
    -borrowing back employees whom moved to other groups
    -travel and reimbursement is out of touch with pricing and software available to handle this
    -Internal systems lack enhancements, they purchase just bare bones
    -Software development done in house and is totally out of touch with new technology, code, or business need. Breakdown between groups as to what is needed versus what IT builds.
    -CIO has a misconception that he can build it better. You can build anything, but only if you pay for great people. You get what you pay for. There is a huge difference in code a $45k developer writes versus a $70k developer writes. You also must train people up. Send them to conferences, pay for certifications, and tuition reimbursement.
    -Business groups need dedicated people whom only work on providing requirements for software development and managing strategy for future projects if you are going to build it in house.
    -Disconnect between New York and every other office. The people of AmTrust have ideas to help you make more money, but you need to ask them. Not through some ThinkTank. These are basic operations ideas. This would help with the terrible reviews.

Advice to Management

-You need to restructure your groups to a military style – 4-5 team members report to a team lead, 2 team leads report to a supervisor, 4 or 5 supervisors report to a manager.
    -Stop being afraid of people whom have different ideas or might have more experience then you. If you hire smart people you won’t have to manage the operations because they will positively change it themselves.
    -Create a department of culture under HR to find out what people really want, and then listen and change
    -Cost of Living increases are completely different then a performance increases.
    -Positions should have a salary range predetermined. If you currently only make $40K but find a position that should start at $65K and are offered the position then there shouldn’t be a special review to see if you deserve the salary. People are leaving the company doubling their salary, why not keep that knowledge in house and decrease the terrible attrition rate.

"Employer now monitoring this site."

Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good.

Cons

I have noticed now that the employer is engaged on this site there are more positive reviews. Could HR be creating them?
    There is a reason their stock has fallen. I hope they don't think these reviews will make them look better.
    Pay is terrible!!

Advice to Management

Still poor management. More than the CFO should be let go.

AmTrust Financial Response

Jul 14, 2017 – AmTrust Financial Representative

Thank you for your feedback and acknowledging our participation on this site. We are engaged on Glassdoor to better understand our employee's experiences and opinions of our culture and operations... More

"Great company, with awesome perks!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmTrust Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid parking, benefits, over-time (if you like that), great downtown location. Very relaxed atmosphere, and great people to work with daily.

Cons

Haven't had any complaints so far! Company seems to be doing well and seem very fair to future and current employs.