Amalgamated Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Keith Mestrich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Administrator Clerk"

Pros

Growth opportunities, Community Involvement, Pleasant staff members, pay

Cons

Limited educational advancemnet, 401k company does not match

"Liberal Hypocrisy at its Finest"

I worked at Amalgamated Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a pension and the healthcare is okay. Since this isn't even a real bank, the atmosphere can be laid back and like a previous poster mentioned, you can just coast through your work.

Cons

No formal training for doing your job; no professional development at all, you will do the same task between your first and last week. Company keeps bragging about how well it's doing now but all I saw my last few months there were cuts to hours and layoffs. Meanwhile managers are always travelling and carry around expensive tech. Good to see that comes at the expense of staff who actually do work. Cronyism is taken to the extreme here. We're told that positions and promotions aren't available then someone is hired to do the job only to discover later that said person knows an EVP or SVP. Company claims to be liberal and progressive yet runs more of a cut-throat corporate environment than many other companies I have been at without the social facade. The only reason this bank hasn't imploded on itself from worker burnout is union money.

Advice to Management

Engage your workers more and consider internal promotions before allowing the CEO and Execs hire their friends for management positions.

3. "Intern"

Pros

- Great Colleagues
    - They Try to help interns the best they can
    - You can learn alot depending on what department you are in.

Cons

- Some days there wasn't much to do.
    Wis they had more of a central plan on roles and duties to give to interns.

"Negative Reviews Are Spot On!"

I have been working at Amalgamated Bank full-time

Pros

Better than being unemployed (not by much)

Cons

Nepotism
    Cronyism
    Favoritism
    No training
    No 401k matching
    You'll have to live with "Amalgamated Bank" on your resume

Advice to Management

Seriously, who is rating this institution 5 stars?This is a bank of last resort. Consider only if you are desperate or non-hirable. Most employees working here are from the street and formerly unemployed as no one in their right mind would leave any other institution to come and work here. Management is a joke. Only way to get ahead is to know people. CEO hires friends to fill EVP and senior roles. Bank fires people for no reason and randomly. The only reason this bank is still in existence is union money.

"I would give a zero if I could."

I worked at Amalgamated Bank full-time

Pros

Medical Benefits are affordable now.

Cons

Political snake pit. They sell a "culture" that does not exist, more of a fairy talethat they are trying to chase.

Advice to Management

I was with the company for a while. Initially, I enjoyed the facade of a new job. But I quickly became aware of how different the environment was, and not for the better. The interesting thing is that this company sells its core "values" to its customers, but it does not incorporate them for its staff. The turnover is high for such a small place; people are constantly resigning. The environment is toxic and morale is extremely low. The people who have rated this place higher than one star are old timers who are in the union. HR does little to make this environment better and is part of the power struggle between departments. Everyone is fighting for a piece of the kingdom while layoffs continue. I think it's time for the CEO to stop turning a blind eye to how employees in their deparments are being treated and notice some basic trends.

"Please don't ignore the negative reviews"

I have been working at Amalgamated Bank full-time

Pros

Work-life balance, easy interview process

Cons

-leadership, lack of diversity in C-suite, no 401k match, no camaraderie, no career growth, HR, does not value feedback

Amalgamated Bank is a great choice for those who want to coast through their work. Leadership and career development are nonexistent. Despite its "progressive values", this bank does not practice what it preaches. AB fires employees readily and frequently based on personality fit and nothing legitimate. Because of this, employees are not willing to help one another. HR is nonexistent and not there to support its employees. If you are not a former 1199/SEIU employee, white, or have a relationship with Keith from someplace else, good luck getting ahead. Many employees are deeply unhappy and just going through the motions to reach retirement and cash in on their pension. Leadership cannot accept criticism and because of this, they will never recognize the reality of their poor work culture, nor improve it. AB is by far the worst place I have ever been employed.

7. "Somewhat different work culture, but still a bank"

Pros

They care about employees as shown by how their benefits are better than average because they are majority owned by labor unions

Cons

The usual problem of seniority as it pertains to selecting vacation days, comp time off etc. Most of the time RIP (rank has its privileges).

Advice to Management

Be clear what unions are the majority owners

8. "Working at amalgamated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at Amalgamated Bank (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having a job to help your family & summer Friday. Great manager to understand of your field.

Cons

Getting written up that was not your fault, union doesn't help you out in the situation that happens to you.

Advice to Management

Sit down with your staff and have a monthly meeting and listen to your team.

"Summer 2016 Review"

I have been working at Amalgamated Bank full-time

Pros

Minimum wage: 15$
    Summer Intern Program
    Location

Cons

-Does not promote from within
    -2 jobs in 1
    -Ridiculous offers to outside employees, then they quit after a few months

Advice to Management

CEO is incompetent and has unrealistic goals

10. "BORING"

Former Employee - Temp Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Temp Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Amalgamated Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work. free food once a month.

Cons

Boring, easy job but little duties with nothing left to do but go online.... They found out and blocked me, did not give me more work instead they just said your temp assignment is over.. Working as a Temp chances to become perm are very little. I made a few friends and lets just say I was hired and my position was a revolving door.