Amazon Administrative Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Ops OA"

Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Ops Administrative Human Resources in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon has many perks too many to name but my favorite is the work week set-up. I love working 4-10 hour shifts as it gives you work/life balance. The pay is great and the options for a monthly bonus opportunity is a great incentive for making sure that you do your best and work all of your scheduled shifts. The benefits are some of the best that I have had and I have worked in various industries, so I have something to compare. There is so many growth opportunities and chances to travel and relocate. I could go on and on, but these are some of my favorite

Cons

I don't have any cons at this time. I am completely satisfied with what I have experienced thus far

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Amazing Workplace"

Current Employee - GM Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - GM Administrative Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits
    Advancement Opportunities
    Free to invent

Cons

Depending on the position the schedule can be pretty demanding

3. "Hire in to the position you want"

Current Employee - Ops Administrative
    Current Employee - Ops Administrative

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaried positions pay well, with good stock awards, when you hire in to the position externally. It is entirely possible to begin as a seasonal employee and promote into senior operational management at a fulfillment center

Cons

If you are hired internally (i.e. promoted), you are paid less and receive fewer stock awards than external hires

Long hours, and few opportunities to sit.

Advice to Management

Treat your associates who hire internally the same as those hired externally. Reward loyalty.

4. "Amazon offers so many great benefits."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon offers many growth opportunities. They have amazing benefits. Amazon has a unique culture that is easy to fall in love with. Amazon is very diverse. Amazon offers career choice.

Cons

You have to work most holidays.

5. "Amazon Corporate"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can bring my dog to work. Everyone is friendly. Lots of food options. Amazon is so fast paced everyone is constantly working but then out of the blew someone comes out with a tiki hat and music!

Cons

Having to travel downtown can be difficult if working in corporate. You have to be able to work with sometimes little direction on a project.

6. "Spirit of Amazon"

Current Employee - Human Resources Operations Administrative Assistant in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the diversity and the opportunity to transfer globally.

Cons

Ever changing management, I find it is difficult to establish stability.

Advice to Management

Get to know your team first to understand where the strong and weak areas are in your assigned department before implementing a change process.

7. "Executive Assistant II"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Great team environment. Lots of opportunities to learn, grow and advance in your career.

Cons

Cost of Parking. Commuter Shuttle service is lacking for surrounding areas.

8. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Compensation is comparable to other similar organizations if not better

Cons

None at the moment

"Senior Human Resources Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a background outside of Human Resources, I learned more about this career field in a few short months than I would have learned at another company in years. It really helped me grow and develop my strengths, along with help me find areas I could improve.

Coworkers are amazing. They are intelligent, hard workers, and supportive of you and the team (at least mine were). The thing I miss most about that job was the friendships I made at work.
    The medical insurance benefits are terrific, and the compensation is really good for one's field.

Three day weekends were incredible! It gave me time to go out and explore the city and do things on my own that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise.

There are so many free perks! Gift cards and prizes during peak season and employee appreciation lunches. If you want to get your SHRM certificate, they even have courses you can take to learn. Mentoring opportunities are endless, and they have week-long corporate trainings to meet other coworkers in your same field from across the U.S. and Canada.

Cons

If you are a person who struggles with uncertainty and desires a need for consistency/stability, this is not the job for you. The minute I felt I had a grasp on how to do something in my job, that task would change or be modified. I have struggled with anxiety and OCD my whole life, and this job made me consider getting medication and counseling for it. Every day towards the end I dreaded going to my job because of the amount of workload, demands, and the feeling that I not contributing anything and that my work was not appreciated.

The environment is truly survival of the fittest. If you can't keep up with the pace, you will be weeded out. People higher up can be very cut-throat to ensure that they hold on to their places of power or leadership.
    Employee issues can be very demanding and overwhelming. Not only do you have to juggle completely daily required reports, but also be the first responder to tough issues such as sexual harassment, employees drunk on the job, verbal aggression, payroll issues, etc. It is hard to put your job on the shelf when going home, especially when some of your employees deal with some really hard home lives.

One-on-ones with managers and online training courses are required to be completed every other week. Although I am completely all for growing and developing, the quick turnaround was not beneficial and seemed more like a chore/something to check off. I gained little from them.

I worked night shift, and I was left alone for three months to run my shift while my manager was out on leave. I hadn't even worked five months yet in my role, and I had to make executive decisions for an entire management team at times when I was still learning the ropes of my department and the company culture. The pressure was too much for me. You truly don't get the same treatment/support on night shift than you do on dayshift, and then managers wonder why you're not growing. I was originally told I would have the opportunity to switch to days after six months in my role, but I was basically lied to. They told me they didn't have an opening anytime soon.
    Night shift means a lack of a social life. If you live alone, you can get very lonely and depressed at times. Make sure you have a strong support system.

Advice to Management

Everyone learns in different ways. Just because your employee does not learn the same way you do does not mean you can be demeaning or act as if they do not contribute to the company. An employee shouldn't have to change who they are and fake a certain personality in order to move up in the ranks at this company.

I was honestly amazed at the manipulation and dishonesty that took place at this company. A company that was once my dream job made me realize I never want to work for a large corporate business like this again.

"line worker"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

rewards and raffles and flexible schedules

Cons

Terrible management. only 3.5 to 4 hour work days.