Amazon Administrative Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Amazon offers so many great benefits."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon offers many growth opportunities. They have amazing benefits. Amazon has a unique culture that is easy to fall in love with. Amazon is very diverse. Amazon offers career choice.

Cons

You have to work most holidays.

2. "Amazon Corporate"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can bring my dog to work. Everyone is friendly. Lots of food options. Amazon is so fast paced everyone is constantly working but then out of the blew someone comes out with a tiki hat and music!

Cons

Having to travel downtown can be difficult if working in corporate. You have to be able to work with sometimes little direction on a project.

3. "Spirit of Amazon"

Current Employee - Human Resources Operations Administrative Assistant in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the diversity and the opportunity to transfer globally.

Cons

Ever changing management, I find it is difficult to establish stability.

Advice to Management

Get to know your team first to understand where the strong and weak areas are in your assigned department before implementing a change process.

4. "Executive Assistant II"

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Great team environment. Lots of opportunities to learn, grow and advance in your career.

Cons

Cost of Parking. Commuter Shuttle service is lacking for surrounding areas.

5. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing. Compensation is comparable to other similar organizations if not better

Cons

None at the moment

"Senior Human Resources Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Administrator

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a background outside of Human Resources, I learned more about this career field in a few short months than I would have learned at another company in years. It really helped me grow and develop my strengths, along with help me find areas I could improve.

Coworkers are amazing. They are intelligent, hard workers, and supportive of you and the team (at least mine were). The thing I miss most about that job was the friendships I made at work.
    The medical insurance benefits are terrific, and the compensation is really good for one's field.

Three day weekends were incredible! It gave me time to go out and explore the city and do things on my own that I wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise.

There are so many free perks! Gift cards and prizes during peak season and employee appreciation lunches. If you want to get your SHRM certificate, they even have courses you can take to learn. Mentoring opportunities are endless, and they have week-long corporate trainings to meet other coworkers in your same field from across the U.S. and Canada.

Cons

If you are a person who struggles with uncertainty and desires a need for consistency/stability, this is not the job for you. The minute I felt I had a grasp on how to do something in my job, that task would change or be modified. I have struggled with anxiety and OCD my whole life, and this job made me consider getting medication and counseling for it. Every day towards the end I dreaded going to my job because of the amount of workload, demands, and the feeling that I not contributing anything and that my work was not appreciated.

The environment is truly survival of the fittest. If you can't keep up with the pace, you will be weeded out. People higher up can be very cut-throat to ensure that they hold on to their places of power or leadership.
    Employee issues can be very demanding and overwhelming. Not only do you have to juggle completely daily required reports, but also be the first responder to tough issues such as sexual harassment, employees drunk on the job, verbal aggression, payroll issues, etc. It is hard to put your job on the shelf when going home, especially when some of your employees deal with some really hard home lives.

One-on-ones with managers and online training courses are required to be completed every other week. Although I am completely all for growing and developing, the quick turnaround was not beneficial and seemed more like a chore/something to check off. I gained little from them.

I worked night shift, and I was left alone for three months to run my shift while my manager was out on leave. I hadn't even worked five months yet in my role, and I had to make executive decisions for an entire management team at times when I was still learning the ropes of my department and the company culture. The pressure was too much for me. You truly don't get the same treatment/support on night shift than you do on dayshift, and then managers wonder why you're not growing. I was originally told I would have the opportunity to switch to days after six months in my role, but I was basically lied to. They told me they didn't have an opening anytime soon.
    Night shift means a lack of a social life. If you live alone, you can get very lonely and depressed at times. Make sure you have a strong support system.

Advice to Management

Everyone learns in different ways. Just because your employee does not learn the same way you do does not mean you can be demeaning or act as if they do not contribute to the company. An employee shouldn't have to change who they are and fake a certain personality in order to move up in the ranks at this company.

I was honestly amazed at the manipulation and dishonesty that took place at this company. A company that was once my dream job made me realize I never want to work for a large corporate business like this again.

"line worker"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

rewards and raffles and flexible schedules

Cons

Terrible management. only 3.5 to 4 hour work days.

"Great place to work - as long as you are a hard worker!"

Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Ops Administrative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do like to have fun! Also, excellent benefits, stock units, company discount online - and monthly bonuses are great! If you like to work, this is the place for you. Hard work is appreciated, expected, and rewarded. TONS of learning opportunities. Upward mobility for those who aim for it. Break rooms have lots of great, affordable options.

Cons

If you can't be on time, don't bother applying. You have to be dedicated. I really don't have any cons. When reading reviews, take into consideration the tone in which they are written. The majority of the "con" issues I have read is from disgruntled associates who can't manage their time or goof off at work and wonder why their managers call them out on it.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding good workers. Also, hold people accountable when they aren't doing their work.

"Experience was good, pay could have been better"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were nice, professional, and talented. Nothing terribly bad happened. No drama.

Cons

Pay was poor, stress was high, and there was a lot of drink-the-koolaid inauthentic hypocritical pep talk from management. My work load was excessive and my manager just didn't listen to my warnings. I got a higher paying offer in a less stressful job and took it.

Advice to Management

Authenticity is more important than pep talks. People will smile and nod, but if they distrust you, that's failed leadership.

"GMA (General Managers Administrative Assistant)"

Current Employee - GMA (General Manager Administrative Assistant) in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - GMA (General Manager Administrative Assistant) in Kent, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work very closely with high level management, pretty flexible schedule, variety of grown opportunities

Cons

Block out period for holiday season because of Peak

Advice to Management

Don't forget about your support functions in the Fulfillment Centers.