Amazon Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2488 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 520 reviews)

1. "Customer service agent"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Agent in Remote, OR
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Agent in Remote, OR

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Even though this was a seasonal position, I very much enjoyed working for Amazon. They have a top of the line training program, very informative, and educational. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone!

Cons

I don't know of any cons I would say about Amazon.

2. "Seasonal flex sds work at home"

Former Employee - Seasonal Part Time Flex SDS Agent
    Former Employee - Seasonal Part Time Flex SDS Agent

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mgr was nice but can’t think of anything else.

Cons

The training consist of reading and looking at videos for 4 weeks. No hands on training when taking live calls. You’re pretty much on your own.
    Long hours for little pay
    You bid on your schedule but by the time it’s your turn, there is nothing left and you’re having to work all weekend long. If you have another job or a family, this will not be a great fit for you.

"Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex)"

Current Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex) in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent (PT-Flex) in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Choose your hours every 3 weeks (however the hours available are based on the projected demand of customers)

- You have a Unpaid Time Off bank that refills every quarter with 20Hrs (you can use those hours as you please EXCEPT during Prime week)

- Some managers are great and really try to help you the best they can

Cons

- At the end of the day... it's customer service so you're dealing with the general public.. and they can be ungrateful, rude, and/or not happy with what you can provide

- It is also retail so your hours are not stable and they change A LOT (which can also be a pro)

- Even though you're a virtual agent.. you still have to deal with co-workers that don't know what they're doing and makes promises they can't keep.. you have to go and clean up behind them if the cx calls back

- Your performance is graded on a metric HMD (How's my driving) scale that's sent out to customers after they contact you.. which isn't terrible but it is aggressively held against you if you don't meet the desired percentage... which is usually around 84%

- Team leaders can be backwards... I've had virtual team leaders (they are called DART) tell me one thing... but when a cx asks to speak directly with a team leader/manager they tell them something else... becomes VERY annoying

- Pay could be better

- You might think "Oh this is a great place for me to get my foot in the door with Amazon"... that's a 50/50 chance... if you fail security or constantly don't meet goal... you are put on probation for a certain amount of weeks/months... which means you cannot apply to any other positions in Amazon until that probation period is over

"It was very misleading and unorganized, they play with employees time and expectations."

Former Employee - VCS Agent in Home, PA
    Former Employee - VCS Agent in Home, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really don't see any except callers were generally nice.

Cons

No regards for employees needs.

Advice to Management

You run a big company and want almost unreal results, at least for VCS, provide better systems or allow people to use their own, have the tools ready and going when the agents need them, and if they're not, then don't demand them of such results, it puts a bad experience for employees and customers alike. And please do not play with your employees expectations (that you previously set), time and emotional health.

5. "AWS Experience"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility afforded to me working at AWS is bar none. As a working mom flexibility is often the most important thing I look for in a position. I'm able to put my family needs first without sacrificing my job or fearful that I will lose it unlike at my last employer.

Cons

You have to seek for a promotion. It's not a natural progression or based on tenure. You have to search for your next role in the company and since things are based on levels it can be hard sometimes to move from one department to the next.

Advice to Management

A clear growth/promotion pattern that can be easily understood. How does one get from L4 to L5 in a specific department.

"Customer Service - Virtual Agent (Seasonal)"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - SDS in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - SDS in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenience of working from home

Cons

Options for scheduled hours were limited and what was available was awful. The training was intense, we lost so many members of our team before training was even completed. Management is more self aware than "team focused" - well my team lead at least. No encouragement or ways to connect with new employees. The pay was 10.00 per hour.

Advice to Management

Encourage new hires, find ways to connect with them to make them feel more welcome. Offer personal guidance and feedback - I feel if you do that - you will get what you're focused on - which is new hire metrics and goals. Employees that are happy and feel a part of a team will be more motivated in their work - increasing metrics and the quality of service.

7. "Amazon Delivers: Customer Service Excellence"

Current Employee - Senior CS Agent: Search and Rescue in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Senior CS Agent: Search and Rescue in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture- From the moment you walk in any of Amazon's buildings around the world you are instantly steeped in a peculiar culture, that is to say the culture is not that of many other corporations in the country. We put the customer first, whether that is an internal or external customer. The difference is palpable.

Core Values- Our guiding principles empower every employee from the lowest to highest seniority to make positive change by delighting our customers, solving problems, proactively addressing customer pain points, and innovating the online and offline experience.

Opportunity- Once in the company you not only have opportunities to advance and learn more of the business, it is expected and encouraged.

Variety- Every day provides a new challenge to overcome. If you thrive on never doing the same thing too frequently this is the place to be.

Benefits- The entire benefits package is phenomenal and that includes on of the best health insurance packages I've experienced out of all my employment history.

Cons

Competitive Nature- A humble brag, Amazon expects and grooms the best of the best. People that develop long term careers here tend to be self competitive and always strive to take their position to the next level.

"Seemed better than it was."

Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Don't need a car, since you work from your home. 10% off products sold and shipped from Amazon.

Cons

Getting time off for vacation or appointments is practically impossible, especially since you have to keep the 20 hours of unpaid time off for have, in case of power outages or computer problems. It's work-from-home, but you can't really have people home (background noise on calls), and it's still as strict as if you were going into an office for 8 hours a day, so it's not really as "convenient" as people would think.

"WAH-Customer Service"

Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home (so many pros to that), Supervisors are encouraging and helpful, Training is a good experience, You are encouraged to take your breaks and lunches even if you missed your allotted times because of a call, the customers are mostly wonderful, easy to navigate and manage your schedule, time off, shift swaps, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move up! I enjoyed my seasonal time working for Amazon and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Cons

I worked a late shift, which was difficult on my family, and I was a seasonal employee and always stressed about whether I might become a blue badge employee. I had that hanging over my head for six months, and the stress of hoping to perform well enough, and the hours weighed on me and my metrics toward the end suffered. Working from home can also get kind of lonely, and sometimes those long winded customers that are also lonely become a welcome part of the job (but you must professionally and politely stay on task and wrap it up for the next caller).

Advice to Management

Many of my customers were unhappy that their calls were redirected to the Philippines and not because they were unhappy with their service, but mainly because of communication. The customers, even the most polite ones, felt anxiety about speaking with an individual that they felt weren't quite able to understand their issue. One of the goals of Amazon CS is to decrease customer effort, but this scenario creates a lot of tension because the customer is not even sure if they can ask to speak with an English representative. They don't want to hurt feelings or step on toes. There are also customers whom have no problem with hurting feelings and stepping on toes, and I have felt incredibly bad for those working in the Philippines call centers.

I also listened to complaints from sellers, whom lost their "free" seller support. This is something that I feel needs to be corrected, to maintain and encourage sellers toward increasing their business and the over-all experience for customers whom purchase from all the third party sellers.

Third party seller issues is a biggie in the land of the lowly customer service agent. The company likely loses a lot of customers over the holidays due to sellers whom never deliver the product and bank on our customer's dime. I'm not certain what the vetting process is for sellers, but it truly hurts the third party sellers that are actually great, and also hurts the company overall. During the holiday season, this practice is especially common.

Addressing some of these seemingly preventable issues would create a better environment for customers and make Amazon customer service one of the best in the world. Because the customer service agents are spectacular and enjoy helping people.

"Lmtoc agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Winchester, KY
    Current Employee - Agent in Winchester, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, they feed you when ot is mandatory

Cons

You have to kiss alot of butt to get ahead, theyou let the leads let other agents listen and SCORE you call audits which I thought was not aloud. I hate it here and can't wait to get out. If they went by scores and times I would be #1 but they only go by who kisses the most butt heard that before I started but it's a fact!!!

Advice to Management

Get involved ad look at things closer. And don't. Say your care but NEVER get involved