Amazon Agent Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Amazon Delivers: Customer Service Excellence"

Current Employee - Senior CS Agent: Search and Rescue in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Senior CS Agent: Search and Rescue in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Culture- From the moment you walk in any of Amazon's buildings around the world you are instantly steeped in a peculiar culture, that is to say the culture is not that of many other corporations in the country. We put the customer first, whether that is an internal or external customer. The difference is palpable.

Core Values- Our guiding principles empower every employee from the lowest to highest seniority to make positive change by delighting our customers, solving problems, proactively addressing customer pain points, and innovating the online and offline experience.

Opportunity- Once in the company you not only have opportunities to advance and learn more of the business, it is expected and encouraged.

Variety- Every day provides a new challenge to overcome. If you thrive on never doing the same thing too frequently this is the place to be.

Benefits- The entire benefits package is phenomenal and that includes on of the best health insurance packages I've experienced out of all my employment history.

Cons

Competitive Nature- A humble brag, Amazon expects and grooms the best of the best. People that develop long term careers here tend to be self competitive and always strive to take their position to the next level.

"It was very misleading and unorganized, they play with employees time and expectations."

Former Employee - VCS Agent in Home, PA
    Former Employee - VCS Agent in Home, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really don't see any except callers were generally nice.

Cons

No regards for employees needs.

Advice to Management

You run a big company and want almost unreal results, at least for VCS, provide better systems or allow people to use their own, have the tools ready and going when the agents need them, and if they're not, then don't demand them of such results, it puts a bad experience for employees and customers alike. And please do not play with your employees expectations (that you previously set), time and emotional health.

3. "AWS Experience"

Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Concierge Agent in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility afforded to me working at AWS is bar none. As a working mom flexibility is often the most important thing I look for in a position. I'm able to put my family needs first without sacrificing my job or fearful that I will lose it unlike at my last employer.

Cons

You have to seek for a promotion. It's not a natural progression or based on tenure. You have to search for your next role in the company and since things are based on levels it can be hard sometimes to move from one department to the next.

Advice to Management

A clear growth/promotion pattern that can be easily understood. How does one get from L4 to L5 in a specific department.

4. "Customer Service - Virtual Agent (Seasonal)"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - SDS in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent - SDS in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenience of working from home

Cons

Options for scheduled hours were limited and what was available was awful. The training was intense, we lost so many members of our team before training was even completed. Management is more self aware than "team focused" - well my team lead at least. No encouragement or ways to connect with new employees. The pay was 10.00 per hour.

Advice to Management

Encourage new hires, find ways to connect with them to make them feel more welcome. Offer personal guidance and feedback - I feel if you do that - you will get what you're focused on - which is new hire metrics and goals. Employees that are happy and feel a part of a team will be more motivated in their work - increasing metrics and the quality of service.

"Seemed better than it was."

Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Virtual Customer Service Agent in Allentown, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Don't need a car, since you work from your home. 10% off products sold and shipped from Amazon.

Cons

Getting time off for vacation or appointments is practically impossible, especially since you have to keep the 20 hours of unpaid time off for have, in case of power outages or computer problems. It's work-from-home, but you can't really have people home (background noise on calls), and it's still as strict as if you were going into an office for 8 hours a day, so it's not really as "convenient" as people would think.

"WAH-Customer Service"

Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Agent in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Agent in Nashville, TN

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home (so many pros to that), Supervisors are encouraging and helpful, Training is a good experience, You are encouraged to take your breaks and lunches even if you missed your allotted times because of a call, the customers are mostly wonderful, easy to navigate and manage your schedule, time off, shift swaps, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move up! I enjoyed my seasonal time working for Amazon and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Cons

I worked a late shift, which was difficult on my family, and I was a seasonal employee and always stressed about whether I might become a blue badge employee. I had that hanging over my head for six months, and the stress of hoping to perform well enough, and the hours weighed on me and my metrics toward the end suffered. Working from home can also get kind of lonely, and sometimes those long winded customers that are also lonely become a welcome part of the job (but you must professionally and politely stay on task and wrap it up for the next caller).

Advice to Management

Many of my customers were unhappy that their calls were redirected to the Philippines and not because they were unhappy with their service, but mainly because of communication. The customers, even the most polite ones, felt anxiety about speaking with an individual that they felt weren't quite able to understand their issue. One of the goals of Amazon CS is to decrease customer effort, but this scenario creates a lot of tension because the customer is not even sure if they can ask to speak with an English representative. They don't want to hurt feelings or step on toes. There are also customers whom have no problem with hurting feelings and stepping on toes, and I have felt incredibly bad for those working in the Philippines call centers.

I also listened to complaints from sellers, whom lost their "free" seller support. This is something that I feel needs to be corrected, to maintain and encourage sellers toward increasing their business and the over-all experience for customers whom purchase from all the third party sellers.

Third party seller issues is a biggie in the land of the lowly customer service agent. The company likely loses a lot of customers over the holidays due to sellers whom never deliver the product and bank on our customer's dime. I'm not certain what the vetting process is for sellers, but it truly hurts the third party sellers that are actually great, and also hurts the company overall. During the holiday season, this practice is especially common.

Addressing some of these seemingly preventable issues would create a better environment for customers and make Amazon customer service one of the best in the world. Because the customer service agents are spectacular and enjoy helping people.

"Lmtoc agent"

Current Employee - Agent in Winchester, KY
    Current Employee - Agent in Winchester, KY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, they feed you when ot is mandatory

Cons

You have to kiss alot of butt to get ahead, theyou let the leads let other agents listen and SCORE you call audits which I thought was not aloud. I hate it here and can't wait to get out. If they went by scores and times I would be #1 but they only go by who kisses the most butt heard that before I started but it's a fact!!!

Advice to Management

Get involved ad look at things closer. And don't. Say your care but NEVER get involved

8. "Good Entry-Level Job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No experience needed
    Lots of training
    Great starting pay
    Nontraditional call center
    Lots of leeway
    Good bonuses
    Benefits

Cons

Strict attendance rules
    Long commute
    Seasonal hiring
    Feels machine-like

9. "Unique experience for unique prospective employees."

Former Employee - Logistics Agent in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Logistics Agent in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

The environment is one of a kind. Very passionate sweet matured co workers I've ever had the pleasure of working with for any company.

Flexibility between at home and work.

You'll truly feel like you're own boss with the way agents are able to tackle problems. Super easy and a great opportunity to have fun and make someones day.

Cons

Lack of understanding or communication between departments can cause delays in resolving otherwise simple customer issues.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"21st century company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent

Pros

The most progressive company you will ever work for. Loved working from home and the flexibility that came with it.

Cons

Training is rushed with so much scenarios/information that never gets brought up.