Amazon Architect Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2020

4.4
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

"Surrounded By Extremely Competent People"

Current Employee - Data Architect

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

- level of commitment and competence of the people I work with is highest I've seen in any company (I worked in 7 companies so far) - by observing your colleague you really learn to naturally and very easily provide outstanding customer service - Everyone I worked with so far was a team player more than willing to share their knowledge and experience - I often had people I don't even know respond to my group Chime message and connect with me to help me solve a challenging problem - salary is much better than at the big consulting firms - a ton of flexibility in how you'd like to work. As long as the job gets done well and the customer gets a great experience, no one is going to care how you get your work done (no micromanagement) - very hands-on work and many opportunities to develop technical knowledge and expertise, unlike in big consulting firms where you are encouraged to bs with PowerPoint slides and all the fun technical work get handed off to an offshore team in India, to maximize the profits for Partners/Directors - a very competent immigration team that is very sharp and well-organized

Cons

- After 1 year you get only 5% of the Restricted Stock Unit allocation (the bonus you get on top of your regular salary), which is pretty low. But I get it, the system is designed to encourage employee retention.

Amazon2020-02-13
  2. "Great Company"

Solutions Architect in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon

Pros

Great people, cutting edge technology, very fast passes.

Cons

Easy to over extend yourself if you over commit. Lots of work and interesting projects which are hard to say no to.

Amazon2020-02-12
  3. "Great work environment and loads to learn"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great deal of ownership; Lots to learn, so you never get bored; Work life harmony is fantastic and very flexible; Amazon encourages their employees to seek out opportunities(intra transfer) to fulfill their aspirations.

Cons

Sometimes ownership might be a burden, particularly when you are new, but that allows you to learn fast.

Amazon2020-02-11
  4. "Excellent place to work but with caveats"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are looking for challenges, deal with real life technical and business problems; you have appetite for constant learning, really have ownership attitude, customer focus and love seeing outcome of your work, this is the company you want to work for.

Cons

You get work-life harmony whatever that means. Compensation structure - understand it well before accepting the job at Amazon. Benefits - subpar.

Amazon2020-02-17
  5. "Love the Customer Obsessed Culture"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Competitive salary - Very bright coworkers - Work hard, play hard mentality - Huge investment in employee skills

Cons

- 401k match is poor - PTO/vacation policy is poor

Amazon2020-02-03
  6. "RSU’s sounds great until you have to sell them"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great offices - good people - dog friendly.

Cons

RSU’s are good - they just don’t give enough. You are forced to sell them and it’s all backweighted. Frugality at times goes a bit too far.

Amazon2020-02-12
  7. "Great platform, no work life balance"

Current Employee - Manager, Solution Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Super smart people to work with, flexibility in working remote, and great products

Cons

Lack of work life balance.

Amazon2020-02-11
  8. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging and fast paced environment. You will grow exponentially and learn from some of the smartest people you will ever meet.

Cons

Compensation does not incentivize top performers. You get on ~1.5% increments every year and ~10% increase with promotions.

Amazon2020-02-04

"Peculiar but refreshing"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unique culture that is very customer centric and focuses on investings on employees to be sucessful at helping customers.

Cons

Big company that is growing very quickly, so everything is changing all the time.

Amazon2020-01-09
  10. "Great co-workers and lots of flexibility to focus on what you want"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Amazon are amazing and its makes my job much easier knowing everyone will carry their weight and then some. The culture of letting you explore means you can move to other roles when you want new challenges. Amazon invests a lot in training so I can build new skills and continue to grow professionally. Moreover, there are always opportunities to take on new projects and I have to prioritize what I want to work on.

Cons

Every day at Amazon is Day 1 which means you often figure out things along the way. If you work well independently then this is good. Otherwise, you could feel like you are on an island. I work in an office in Irvine and my team is distributed so there is not a great sense of camaraderie with the other workers at the office. Like any large company, the leveling of employees is inconsistent across regions and teams. Frugality means very little admin support and that most admin tasks are done by professionals.

Amazon2020-01-09

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 207 reviews