Amazon Area Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2528 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 523 reviews)

1. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Opa-locka, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Opa-locka, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Amazon is not for everyone. It is hard work. On average I walk over 20 miles per day at work and climb over 30 flights of stairs. The great part is that I lost a lot of weight since I started with Amazon and I have been much more active. If you have a positive attitude, working at Amazon will be a piece of cake. If you’re the type of person that gets frustrated easily, this probably isn’t the job for you. 99% of my job consists of training people how to figure out things for themselves (autonomy) and holding people accountable for when they do not do their job.

Cons

Long hours. Before you are hired, they will tell you that you will work 4 10hr days but its actually closer to 4 13hr days or sometimes 14hr days... During peak season, you’ll work 6 days (almost 80 hours) I don’t mind working that much, but I wish that they would have been upfront about it during the hiring process.

Sometimes you will have to have tough conversations with associates that are not meeting performance expectations. You get better at the tough conversations as you go.

Advice to Management

Don’t forget about the “have fun” in the slogan. Working hard and making history are things that we do everyday, but we tend to forget to have fun on occasion.

2. "High Reward, Fast Pace Environment"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn and grow with the company is limitless. Financial compensation very generous.

Cons

Time consuming job - Amazon is not a place for work life balance. It is a place to commit to and in return be rewarded with career growth and financially.

3. "Incredible Fast Paced Environment"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast Paced, own your own development.
    Work with high-energy, intelligent people solving problems realtime.

Cons

Work-Life Balance lacking. Pay is not as attractive as before

4. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for free thinking and contribution to innovation. Great benefits and compensation.

Cons

Long hours standing on feet in warehouse positions

Advice to Management

Work hard at developing people for career growth

5. "AM"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mgt is friendly and willing to help. Associates work hard, Great Benefits. 3 days off.

Cons

There is no formal training for MGT should be structured for those who come in outside of the company. Long hours and lots of standing and walking. Very grueling on the the body. If you don't like supporting your work with math this is not for you.

"If You Want to Know the Truth 100%"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't many pros about working for Amazon, however, I will say the best part about this position is the impact you have on so many people in a positive way. Learn to lead by example and not fall into the Amazon culture. A lot of people above you will try to drive their own principles upon you and blame you for their poor decisions. Don't change for Amazon, lead your team the right way and they will work harder for YOU.

Cons

This company performs at such a low level of integrity that everyone questions if Amazon even knows what it means. There is zero teamwork and the toxic culture pushes people to lose their honesty and moral principles. Everyone points fingers rather than actually trying to fix the issue. As a leader, your leadership style should not be "lets see who can be the bigger bully" especially if you're a "leader of leaders". Incompetency seems to be quite common in the FC's. Amazon definitely hires a lot of managers and not enough leaders. Aside from that, you are expected to work long hours. You will never see a 10 hour shift even though that's what was sold to you. Expect 12 hours on a good day. If you actually do your job, you'll easily hit 25k steps on a daily basis and sometimes have no time to fuel your body.

7. "Area Manager II"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Carteret, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Carteret, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Name recognition
    - Experience managing large and dynamic teams

Cons

- Company comes before personal life
    - Compensation, regardless of being on high or low end of pay scale
    - Poor culture, most leadership only look after their selves or those who have done something for them lately
    - Politics
    - Work schedule, at least half of career is spent on nights and weekends
    - Lack or transferable skills, at AM level one pretty much only coaches productivity and never uses MBA type skills

Advice to Management

Treat Operations management team like you care about them. Incorporate pay differential for management teams that work nights or weekend. Not cut management team so thin that there is essentially no time to develop skills, instead only enough time to focus on overbearing daily scope.

"FC Area Manager - One Month In"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon's work is very rewarding and stable and has great opportunity, if you expect to perform well. Amazon expects superior performers from the bottom to the top and Amazon does an amazing job of clearly setting performance expectations. If you do not want to work hard, don't join to Amazon.

Cons

At Fulfillment Centers ("FCs"), employees stand for long hours, but nothing the average person cannot handle; wear decent athletic shoes that aren't worn out.

9. "Hours"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Upperward mobility
    -Opportunities to learn beyond your standard skillset
    -Excellent performance is rewarded

Cons

-Long hours
    -No work/life balance
    -High pressure

10. "High paced, challenging, meaningful career as an Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for entry level manager.
    Ability to start projects that influence your department/team or facility.
    Open door policy with top management means that managers are always in check.
    Comprehensive daily grading system for all managers that get rated by their direct reports which ensures that all managers are always trying to improve and learn.
    Able to drive meaningful results.
    Management really does try improving the experience for area managers.

Cons

Job is very high paced and very demanding which may lead to managers freaking out and quitting; understandable but one should push themselves to take on this huge challenge instead of running from it.

Depending on how well your site runs you should be regularly NOT doing overtime (except for 1 week and 1 month in a year (prime day, Peak season)). Expect 40-45 hour work weeks with up to 60 hours during peak and prime. This will be different for launch buildings

Advice to Management

Keep on maintaining the mindset that you are not the perfect employer, keep on trying to improve, this will lead to bettering the experiences for all of your new hires.