Amazon Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

2.8
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We get to learn a lot of things on the job (in 420 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 335 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1954 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 421 reviews)

1. "Customer Service/Seasonal"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far so good, I’m still in training, but maybe that will interest some. I am on my 4th day at Amazon, & will work in their customer service Dept. for a guaranteed 3 months & possibly 3 more depending on how busy they are & whatnot. They talk a lot about doing a great job by not missing work, empathizing with & develop a great repore with the customer by being “customer obsessed” I am in a class of 25 & we have 2 trainers. I think they are both fabulous! They are always available, they don’t rush through everything, check with all 25 of us individually on about a daily basis, they answer most questions via a chat room & if they know the answer they offer a quick response, even when you PM them, it’s still super quick, I believe they both want the best for all of us, and they will do whatever it takes to help us all do well enough to become Full Time employees if we want it bad enough, I believe it will be possible.
    Also!! Starting this month all WAH Customer Service employees are provided with a HP Chromebook Laptop, & a headset. Basically, all I needed was a home office w/no distractions, an Ethernet Cord and a decently fast wired internet connection. I also HIGHLY recommend though they are not required, the following: Keyboard, Mouse, USB Hub (doesn’t have to be expensive), at least 1 extra computer monitor (I got mine at Goodwill for $10 & it came with the cord too & it is the smartest thing I bought!). Everything I just said must be wired, Amazon requires it, no WiFi & no Bluetooth. The Laptop they provide is very small & it will be extremely difficult to see the writing on the monitor & toggle between several websites. Right now I am using my Goodwill Monitor as my Primary and my Laptop’s Monitor as my 2nd & it works well for me. However, because it’s so cheap, I’m going to buy a 2nd Larger Monitor & put my little Laptop under a monitor Stand & that will open up a lot of desk space.
    I got to pick my schedule, I was able to pick between 4-10 hr or 5-8 hr shifts. There were a plethora of choices & I believe they will work for pretty mostly any schedule.

Cons

They do require mandatory OT & Blackout PTO & UPTO from Cyber Monday - January 1st.
    There are not many benefits for Seasonal Employees & the ones that are available aren’t that great.

Advice to Management

Offer something better as a benefit than what is currently available to Seasonal Employees.
    Keep up the good work with who you choose to train new WAH employees!

2. "Operations"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation.
    Location.
    Environment is so stressful that you find good friends among your peers.

Cons

Very long hours. At times, when you compare how much you make per hour versus how many hours you work, you find other companies to be better.
    High stress levels.
    Walking and standing for more than 9hrs+ , at times straight.
    Noisy.
    Disorganized management.
    High rotation.
    Hard to switch from operations into other fields within the company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and care about your direct employees genuinely. If you do that, the rest will fall in place.

3. "EOT temp employee"

Current Contractor - eot in Arlington, VA
    Current Contractor - eot in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some smart people but favoritism is rampant . better to work on dayshift to get the training you need to operate. Don't go on nightshift if you need training. Blue badge conversion process leadership questions as clear as mud and difficult to answer without prep. Was promised prep and it never happened. Aced mech and elec questions.

Cons

Training is sketchy if you ask for additional training prepare to answer why. Especially leadership principles which are as clear as mud and can be interpreted multiple ways its pyschobabble BS.
    Do not recommend to person with a family to take the risk on a temp position with "possible" conversion you will be used and abused.

Advice to Management

Leave up to your leadership principles yourself.

4. "customer experience intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought the program was nice and easy to contribute since it is on your own time. There were a lot of training involved, so it is time consuming. I enjoyed it.

Cons

The pay wasn't very high, and it required 40 hours of training on your own in front of the computer screen. Can be boring at times and a lot of materials to get through.

Advice to Management

To have the training be more interactive and higher pay for the training. That was the worst part of the experience.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a lot of agency. If you can justify why something needs to happen and how much it will cost to make it happen you can affect change at the company.

Cons

Bit of a problem with putting too much emphasis on seniority.

Advice to Management

Look at the quality of an employees work and what they can bring to the company going forward rather than how long theyve stuck around.

6. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet different people and everyone is interesting. Passionate and rising company. Great employers and great environment. Huge company though

Cons

Sometimes get lost in the huge company,

Showing 6 of 19,148 reviews