Amazon Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2447 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 508 reviews)

1. "Lead Development Representative"

Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Development Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon Web Services is a company that develops its employees and helps everyone to progress in their careers.

Cons

You will be a workaholic while working for Amazon Web Services.

Advice to Management

You need to set boundaries to have a work-life balance.

"Senior Executive Assistant to VP"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, always learning something new, great colleagues. Very helpful staff to help with onboarding, good pay, some travel. Flex/Telework is awesome!

Cons

I wish I could have more training time. There is A LOT to learn so it feels a bit like information overload.

Advice to Management

More training, maybe perhaps offer more bonuses/incentives for your employees?

"Amazon is Alright"

Current Employee - CSA in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - CSA in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work from Home
    -Create schedules around other jobs/school
    -Supply equipment
    -Benefits are generous for the role
    -Despite popular belief, there is lateral and upward mobility options

The good thing about working from home for Amazon essentially boils down to it being a work from home position with flexible positioning.

Cons

-Hours, once assigned, are largely inflexible
    -Vacation and time off accrues very slowly in comparison to other full time jobs
    -Benefits are good, but geared towards singles, not families

There are several negatives to working at Amazon that should be noted, particularly the pay, which is dismal when you consider how much money they make off of your work. You'll be making $10 with minimal bonuses around the holidays and very competitive and difficult to achieve quarterly bonuses for high performance. You will not receive a raise of more than $0.25/hr every year unless you are promoted to a higher position.

Customer service is a mixed bag, some days will fly by and all be easy calls, other days there is a technical error on the site and you will be on back to back contacts from when you clock in until you clock out.

The performance metrics used at Amazon are often unfair and controversial, and consequently have gone through multiple changes over time, but have stayed largely the same. There should absolutely be more freedom for a CSA to suppress their HMDs in situations where it is appropriate but sadly I understand their reasoning as to why this is not allowed as it would be the cause of widespread abuse (I'm sure that suppressing HMDs is already abused at this point anyway in its current state). You are able to maintain consistently high numbers, but if you work 40+ hours a week you will have weeks where no matter what you do you will not reach performance numbers, thankfully most supervisors in my experience have been chill about it.

A lot of reviews talk about training being poor and while it isn't amazing they do give you plenty of time to land on your feet, allowing you several weeks of poor performance metrics before expecting you to get used to it.

The Job itself cannot possibly be your primary source of income at this level. I am only working here during school so I can pay for some bills, and it is barely sufficient enough for me. As supplementary income it would never work, so I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone looking to pay the rent with it.

Advice to Management

Not really much management can do honestly. At the end of the day there are gonna be jobs that you just need a ton of boots on the ground for and this is one of them. Reality is some jobs aren't going to pay well or be fun, or result in a long term career path. If you need to make some money on the side and work from home while you do something else , this may be the job for you.

"Customer Service/Seasonal"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far so good, I’m still in training, but maybe that will interest some. I am on my 4th day at Amazon, & will work in their customer service Dept. for a guaranteed 3 months & possibly 3 more depending on how busy they are & whatnot. They talk a lot about doing a great job by not missing work, empathizing with & develop a great repore with the customer by being “customer obsessed” I am in a class of 25 & we have 2 trainers. I think they are both fabulous! They are always available, they don’t rush through everything, check with all 25 of us individually on about a daily basis, they answer most questions via a chat room & if they know the answer they offer a quick response, even when you PM them, it’s still super quick, I believe they both want the best for all of us, and they will do whatever it takes to help us all do well enough to become Full Time employees if we want it bad enough, I believe it will be possible.
    Also!! Starting this month all WAH Customer Service employees are provided with a HP Chromebook Laptop, & a headset. Basically, all I needed was a home office w/no distractions, an Ethernet Cord and a decently fast wired internet connection. I also HIGHLY recommend though they are not required, the following: Keyboard, Mouse, USB Hub (doesn’t have to be expensive), at least 1 extra computer monitor (I got mine at Goodwill for $10 & it came with the cord too & it is the smartest thing I bought!). Everything I just said must be wired, Amazon requires it, no WiFi & no Bluetooth. The Laptop they provide is very small & it will be extremely difficult to see the writing on the monitor & toggle between several websites. Right now I am using my Goodwill Monitor as my Primary and my Laptop’s Monitor as my 2nd & it works well for me. However, because it’s so cheap, I’m going to buy a 2nd Larger Monitor & put my little Laptop under a monitor Stand & that will open up a lot of desk space.
    I got to pick my schedule, I was able to pick between 4-10 hr or 5-8 hr shifts. There were a plethora of choices & I believe they will work for pretty mostly any schedule.

Cons

They do require mandatory OT & Blackout PTO & UPTO from Cyber Monday - January 1st.
    There are not many benefits for Seasonal Employees & the ones that are available aren’t that great.

Advice to Management

Offer something better as a benefit than what is currently available to Seasonal Employees.
    Keep up the good work with who you choose to train new WAH employees!

"Operations"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation.
    Location.
    Environment is so stressful that you find good friends among your peers.

Cons

Very long hours. At times, when you compare how much you make per hour versus how many hours you work, you find other companies to be better.
    High stress levels.
    Walking and standing for more than 9hrs+ , at times straight.
    Noisy.
    Disorganized management.
    High rotation.
    Hard to switch from operations into other fields within the company.

Advice to Management

Pay attention and care about your direct employees genuinely. If you do that, the rest will fall in place.

"EOT temp employee"

Current Contractor - eot in Arlington, VA
    Current Contractor - eot in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some smart people but favoritism is rampant . better to work on dayshift to get the training you need to operate. Don't go on nightshift if you need training. Blue badge conversion process leadership questions as clear as mud and difficult to answer without prep. Was promised prep and it never happened. Aced mech and elec questions.

Cons

Training is sketchy if you ask for additional training prepare to answer why. Especially leadership principles which are as clear as mud and can be interpreted multiple ways its pyschobabble BS.
    Do not recommend to person with a family to take the risk on a temp position with "possible" conversion you will be used and abused.

Advice to Management

Leave up to your leadership principles yourself.

7. "customer experience intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I thought the program was nice and easy to contribute since it is on your own time. There were a lot of training involved, so it is time consuming. I enjoyed it.

Cons

The pay wasn't very high, and it required 40 hours of training on your own in front of the computer screen. Can be boring at times and a lot of materials to get through.

Advice to Management

To have the training be more interactive and higher pay for the training. That was the worst part of the experience.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Data Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Data Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a lot of agency. If you can justify why something needs to happen and how much it will cost to make it happen you can affect change at the company.

Cons

Bit of a problem with putting too much emphasis on seniority.

Advice to Management

Look at the quality of an employees work and what they can bring to the company going forward rather than how long theyve stuck around.

9. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet different people and everyone is interesting. Passionate and rising company. Great employers and great environment. Huge company though

Cons

Sometimes get lost in the huge company,

Showing 9 of 27,682 reviews