Amazon Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
1,226 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We get to learn a lot of things on the job (in 420 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 335 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1954 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 421 reviews)

"Warehouse associate, full time for over two years"

Former Employee - Tier I Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Tier I Warehouse Associate in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay and the ability to get raises very quickly. Full training in all areas are offered and if your willing to work hard and sweat everyday for 10 hours a day, 4 days a week, then this is the job for you. The 4 day weeks go by quick, it can be exhausting so proper rest and a healthy lifestyle will help you stay strong within this company. Beat benefits as well once you are a hired on as a full time employee.

Cons

After 3 years of working with the company you "cap out" at $15.75, meaning you can no longer make any more money than that as a tier 1 associate. Your expected to want to move up in the company and that is the only way to make a better hourly wage, by advancing into management and operations management positions if there are any openings.

2. "Amazingly rewarding and very hard work. If you don't want to get paid to basically work out for ten hours.. don't come."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Etna, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Benefits day 1. I pay $16 for medical dental and vision just for one person. The trainer I had was awesome and the atmosphere is awesome. Right off the bat you get personal time (10hrs) which you can use all at once or use it bits at a time.

Cons

Parking and getting out when everyone gets out at the same time is a disaster. Long walks to stations when we only get 3 minutes to get there.

Advice to Management

Be more lenient to people about trying to hit hourly rates. Sometimes it can be very challenging.

"You’ll learn lifelong leasons"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company with push you towards your physical and mental limit. You must work very hard and have a positive attitude to move up. If you are their long enough you can move up by following these two things. Lots of programs and people available to help you on your journey up. You are always guaranteed hours and have the opportunity for overtime. 3 Days weekends and Voluntary Time Off are a nice perk as well. Holiday Bonuses, Dental Coverage and the Career Choice Program are amazing. I really appreciate their willingness to aid their associates with interview prep and mock and actual interviews. You will become an expert interviewee after you’ve done it various times with them.

Cons

Amazon is not easy. The monotony and long hours can drive people off the wall. During the holidays or “Peak” you will be expected to work 10-11 hour shifts either 5 or 6 Days a week. Numbers, numbers, numbers! And quality. It may be difficult for some associates to adapt and meet production on a day to day basis which could be a cause of higher turnover. You may work in an insolated environment but are being constantly monitored and held accountable for errors and productivity.

Advice to Management

Do not forget that we are also humans. Numbers are important, but are not the sole purpose for our existence.

4. "amazon"

Current Employee - Associate in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to work at, managment is very respectful

Cons

none as of right now

Advice to Management

Keep doing great

5. "If you can survive your first 90 days, its great!"

Current Employee - FC Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - FC Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You only have to work at Amazon for 90 days and you can be promoted to the next level if you want. The benefit package is wonderful. There is a lot of time off.

Cons

You are on your feet for 10 hours or more so wear great shoes. Short breaks. Moving up can be hard when you're competing with hundreds of internal employees.

Advice to Management

I know they want to move senior level management around for experience, but if a great manager comes along, you should leave them in place instead of rotating them out every 6 months or so.

6. "Just started"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

The team managers are amazing

Cons

Part time doesn’t get many perks

Advice to Management

Partime should have to option to either go full time to get better benefits or have options for better benefits after a certain amount of time.

7. "Ignore the rumors any warehouse is going to be hard work, but the positives outweigh any negatives"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Etna, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay, immediate insurance, 4 days off a week. Employees help each other, 2 lunch breaks, discounts, monthly bonus,etc.

Cons

Nothing major to complain about. It's hard work but I like the pay and benefits and having 4 days off a week.

Advice to Management

It's a lot of info to retain in orientation without seeing the job performed. I need someone to show me how you want it done not just say a bunch of unfamiliar jargon.

8. "If you are driven and self-motivated you will thrive in this environment."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Everett, MA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are good... Pay is good. As long as you do your job, you won't have anyone constantly looking over your shoulder.

Cons

If you are late you get time deducted from your unpaid time off (UPT)... Or if they flex end time by an hour and you can't stay you lose some of your UPT. There is a lot of turnaround and many times there is flex time added to the shift. If you have another job that starts closely after your shift at Amazon this may become a problem for you. It takes awhile to earn enough sick time to cover a day off if you are going to be out sick.

Advice to Management

There should be more support given to new hires as not everyone is able to adapt and learn as quickly as others.

"A good company to work for"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Robbinsville, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Robbinsville, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health and stock benefits are nice. The match on the 401k isn't too bad either. Every day is a new experience and every experience can be an opportunity to learn.

Cons

Working overnight affects your internal clock. There's not as much efficiency in my building as I'd like there to be. Communication from management to employees could be better at times.

Advice to Management

The morale can be really low at times. Finding some way to boost it on a daily basis would benefit everyone.

"It Is What It Is"

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Durham, NC

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perhaps the difference is that I'm approaching this from late in life. I was thrilled to be hired at 62 and am by far not the oldest. It's hard work and it beats me up almost every night but I feel accomplished. Also, I chose to work and do not have to worry about making rent. The pay is way above minimum and management is firm, but fair. Every workplace has drama, but on Night Sort we all do all of the jobs and are on more/less equal footing. It surprises me that I like it. After a lifetime of job stress in the "cube farm" it's a pleasure to show up, put in the effort, clock out and go home without taking it with me. There are small perks they don't have to do: pizza, candy, Swagbucks, time off at will, T-shirts, gift cards. And you will get in shape.

Cons

It IS physical labor with nowhere to sit down.
    The packages seem to never stop coming down the belt. It helps to be in a good mental place.
    Co-workers who are not supervisors will try to supervise you.
    Decisions are made for the good of the business and not the good of the humans. Just accept this and keep going.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the opportunity and would not change much. It would be helpful if more attention were paid to the upkeep of equipment; i.e. scanners, printers, wrap poles, etc.