Amazon Reviews in Baltimore, MD | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2447 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 508 reviews)

1. "Fulfillment center"

Former Employee - Pack Singles in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Pack Singles in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learning new skills and meeting new people along the way.

Cons

Short breaks during long hours

2. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth and Opportunity. Scheduling (4 on 3 off), company has a mission to be the best at everything, support staff (HR, Facilities, Safety). Work is challenging and fast pace. Metric driven job.

Cons

Physically demanding job at all levels. If you are used to a desk job it will take some adjusting. Not a con necessarily, but the fast pace leaves little time for development of self and associates, everything done on “the fly”. No one will hold your hand to train you. Resources are abundant, but no formal training plans exist.

Advice to Management

Rate of growth will stretch talent thin. Suggest a formal focus on development and succession planning for long term success.

3. "Excellent benefits lots of time off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits lots of time off

Cons

Very hard physical work non stop

Advice to Management

Make it easier for Amazon employees to move up the ladder

4. "Process Assistant"

Former Employee - Process Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Process Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very fast pace atmosphere that allows for creative and collaborative efforts from team members.

The ambiguity allows for you to develop problem solving skills.

You work with a large body of people, which unlocks interpersonal skills.

Leadership development is a skill you attain while in this position.

Cons

No balance in life and work.

High volume hourly goals

Stagnant and under valued position

Advice to Management

Allow for career development for all who show a interest in growth.

5. "GREAT JOB TO HAVE"

Current Employee - Shipping in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Shipping in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Fair Raises, No Uniforms, Shares of Stock, Benefits

Cons

On Your Feet All Day

6. "Terrible Work Experience"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits you receive are good.

Cons

The work environment and management team is absolutely terrible! The management team has no consideration or respect for its employees and the goals that you are expected to achieve every day are unrealistic and you are set up for failure. The amount of hard labor you are performing is extremely too much for what they are paying. I have been working here for 4 years and can honestly say this is the worst work environment I have ever experienced. If you are looking for a Secure reliable job this is not it.

7. "its a cool job"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

meet a lot of new people and the peak prizes

Cons

long hours so you need to have a understanding partner

Advice to Management

not much honestly

8. "Try to avoid this place"

Current Employee - Stower in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Stower in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The starting pay is a little over minimum wage but it should definitely be more.
    -If you have little to no job experience, then its a okay starter job but definitely work on whats your next plan to further yourself.
    -Provides stock that you can access after 2 years.
    -A vast majority of people are helpful if you have issues.
    -Have a lot of dedicated people who work hard at their job.
    -Give out raffles for prizes and have competitions for working hard to also earn prizes.
    -Makes safety a big priority for workers.
    -You have water stations close to where you work at all times.
    -Trying to advance and take on other responsibilities is possible but i wouldn't want to here.
    -Will pay up to 95% of tuition towards a Associates Degree for associates but only if they work for a full year at amazon.
    -You receive a certain amount of Personal time-off(PTO), Unpaid time-off(UPT), and vacation time every so weeks but PTO and UPT is not infinitely given throughout the year unlike vacation time.
    -Voluntary time off and voluntary extra time are available sometimes.

Cons

-You will be standing for pretty much 10 hours a day for 4 days a week or 12 hours a day for 3 days a week which becomes a huge strain on your feet if you're not prepared. It's also literally mindless work where you just scan items for that whole work day. Doesn't make me feel motivated about the work i do, it doesn't challenge my mind, it's almost slave like.
    -You have to meet/exceed a rate percentage each week (100% or higher) or you will either get a verbal coaching or a write up which can potentially lead to termination. It does not matter if you are at a 99.99% at the end of the week, it still counts as a negative rate.
    -You sometimes/often receive work that is hard to stow which can negatively affect your rate for the week. This is why people steal good work in order to increase their rate for the week which just goes to show that something is wrong with the rate system and should be changed so that workers do not have to worry about there rates as much.
    -The building can get very hot. They provide personal fans for stations but it doesn't help if there aren't enough fans for each station. I have to make sure i get a fan for my station before the shift starts or i'll be hot all day. They are trying to add literal cylinder fans to the ceilings but i don't feel like they work.
    -The prize system isn't very fair. In order to win prizes, you have to stow faster than other people. It becomes a problem because not everyone is going to have the same type of work as you which puts people at a disadvantage. They also only give prizes to one winner rather than having runner up prizes for people who come in 3rd or 5th place.
    -Breaks are 15mins long which means you basically have 10mins of relax time because it usually takes 2:30mins to walk to the break room and 2:30mins to walk back to your station. If you're a min late, you will get written up. If you don't want to walk to the break room then you can stay at your station but managers don't want you sitting at your station so you pretty much have to stand up at your station if you don't want to walk to the break room which i find ridicules since its my time to rest and i want to rest my feet for as much as i can.

9. "Warehouse"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn all u can, & get the experience to be able to grow within the company.

Cons

Always be aware of how u carry urself around , its important because you're always being observed.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you want to be treated in order to have a positive work environment.

10. "GREAT benefits; quick to terminate; selective enforcement of policy"

Former Employee - Learning Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Learning Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay, fairly easy job. Somewhat accommodating for personal life events in terms of schedule/shift change requests, etc.

Cons

I was terminated without warning for a safety violation after having been in my position for 2+ years while other Associates and managers were actually promoted after having committed similar violations.

Advice to Management

Enforce policy across the board; be a bit more objective in policy enforcement. After conducting an audit, I raised 17 policy/safety violations to leadership, none of which were addressed in the manner that policy dictates.

Showing 141 of 27,741 reviews