Amazon Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

"No place is perfect, but I love it here. Full stop."

Current Employee - Systems Development Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing opportunities for personal and professional growth like no other company I've encountered in my long career.

This is definitely an intense environment to work in BUT I've never encountered a company that provides more support and help for employees. The culture here is like none other.

Cons

This is very definitely an intense environment to work in. The bar is set very high, and you are expected to produce at a high level at all times.

Advice to Management

Avoid frupidity (frugality + stupidity). Sometimes adding headcount or getting people good equipment are investments that pay off big.

2. "Fun Work, Fun Work Environment"

Current Employee - Data Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Data Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting, and the atmosphere is good. Colleagues are friendly and helpful. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The pay is not great.

3. "Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot working at Amazon.

Cons

I can be demanding at times.

"Prestigious and Not Worth It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Amazing coworkers: Really the best reason to work here.
    - Close to the T (Red Line)
    - Some managers are are really special and good. Not all of them, but some of them.
    - Prestigious name for your resume
    - Technically a job

Cons

- If you are a salaried employee, expect to be working minimum 50 hours a week. I know some people who work over 60. It's not healthy. It's only worth working here as an hourly employee, when you are capped at 40 hours per week.
    - Little upward mobility; rigorous and competitive promotion process
    - Inconsistent amount of work week-to-week: Some weeks there's over 40 hours of work to do and some weeks there's maybe 20 hours worth.
    - "Frugality" is honestly an evil leadership principle that justifies not paying overworked people enough
    - No one knows what they're doing, they're just making stuff up as they go
    - Unwilling to take action when people when they don't do their job or actively make more work for other people
    - There are only 6 paid holidays If you want a day off between New Year's and Memorial Day (January and late May) you have to dip into your own small pool of personal days
    - Lack of diversity
    - Sexism in workplace; men (most often white men) are offered more opportunities than women or POC
    - People avoid being direct at all costs. Complete lack of transparency.
    - Boring and repetitive work.
    - Everyone you know will ask you if you can get them Prime for free. You can't even yourself Prime for free.
    - "Job levels": Amazon doesn't see anyone at lower than a level 4 as a person. They are mistreated and not invited to many corporate opportunities.

Advice to Management

- You need to address the lack of diversity in the workplace.
    - You need to address the sexism in the workplace.
    - Spread the wealth, Bezos. Your employees aren't paid living wages.
    - Give more paid holidays.
    - Unhappy and overworked employees are not good employees.
    - Switch to using Slack, oh my GOD
    - Some of the best people I've ever met work here and they deserve the world. You need to show them that before they leave for better opportunities.
    - Why are the doors always broken? We work for the richest man in the world. Can't he fix this?

5. "This job is nothing like you expect it to be, but it is 10x more rewarding than you expect it to be."

Current Employee - Data Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Data Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most fantastic and supportive people you'll ever work with. Everyone wants to help you do better and learn.

Cons

We do a lot more work than we're hired to do beyond our job description but our pay does not reflect this.

"Please Treat Your Employees Better"

Former Employee - Data Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Data Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. The people at Amazon are amazing; the culture among the lower level staff is great. Almost everyone is incredibly friendly, very helpful, and very hardworking. There are a lot of people who are stars; they can do any task no matter how complex, and they are always willing to help you out or share their knowledge.

2. Many of the people managers are also wonderful, they care deeply about their employees and their development, although they are limited by Amazon's organizational structure.

Cons

1. Amazon's organizational structure is incredibly frustrating. The DA position was created with no upward mobility in mind and as such it is almost impossible (and always time consuming) to move up in the company. Amazon makes employees interview multiple times in order to move beyond a certain level instead of just taking into account the strengths and skills of worthy people and promoting them. There are also so few positions available to so many talented people that almost no one who deserves a higher position gets one.

2. Amazon cares little for its Data Associates. DAs are grossly underpaid for the work that they do, especially when compared to other similar positions in any other company in the surrounding area. Amazon counts on their brand recognition to draw in workers instead of maintaining any kind of competitive compensation or benefits. The organization also promised very flexible hours when I first started but when I left they had done a complete 180 and cracked down on time sheets, instituting a very inflexible set hours structure. Employees were given no other benefits to compensate for the loss of flexibility.

3. Others are treated visibly better. DAs working in the same building as SDEs (or even seeing communications from other sites) can see how vastly inferior they are treated. SDEs are often provided catered lunch at events, larger salaries, and are treated with much more respect. DAs are often offered the leftovers from SDE events but cannot expect the same level of catering at their own events. They are made to obsessively time track to account for every single second of their day, whereas the SDEs are free to do as they wish.

4. The role of DA has changed dramatically overtime but no changes in pay, benefits, opportunity, or recognition have reflected this. The DA position was originally created to be a glorified button pusher, just entering in data with little critical thought. Now a high performing DA is expected to specialize in various complex work flows, organize small-to-mid level projects, communicate cross-site, be able to train others on various workflows, and develop new and up and coming projects. The wage has remained the same since the DA position was created though the position has become more of a workflow specialist or coordinator position. Upper level management seems to neither understand nor care for this, as the same compensation is still being offered, the job description remains the same, and DAs continue to be undervalued and underdeveloped.

Advice to Management

You are wasting talent and you are losing out on opportunities to nurture success stories. You have many extremely talented individuals at your lower levels who would become amazing managers, project managers, coordinators, and trainers. Lower level management does a good job of advocating for their people and work their hardest to provide DAs with worthwhile resources, but upper level management (and indeed corporate management) ignore the needs of their employees.

Amazon's treatment of its Data Associates stands in the face of their so-called "leadership principles."

You want to "hire and develop the best?" Provide competitive wages to drawn in the best. Provide career opportunities for good performers and keep informed on the work people are doing and the way in which positions have changed so you can fill them appropriately. Remove the bureaucratic road blocks that stand in the way of upward mobility within the company.

You want to "earn trust?" Earn the trust of your employees by developing and maintaining a cogent and adaptable organizational structure, treating your employees with equal opportunity and respect no matter their job title, and investing in their futures at the company.

You want to "think big?" Think about your company in the long term. It might be "frugal" to shuffle people in and out of the DA position in the short term but you are losing out on smart and talented people. Retaining your best DAs means retaining workflow expertise leading to more accurate results, more mentorship support for others which allows them to develop more quickly, and higher employee satisfaction which in turn will attract even more talented players. If you aren't going to do it for the people--even though that should be enough--at least do it for the company image and success.

7. "Amazon is an great place to work!"

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Professional Development/growth
    - Learning Opportunities
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Leadership Principles
    - Excellent work environment

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about Amazon.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring and developing the best talented employees.

8. "Smartest people I know who just get stuff done without politics"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

speed of doing stuff
    lack of bureaucracy
    career growth
    insanely smart people
    no BS environment. No politics

Cons

See above - re: Smartest people. Always have to bring your "a" game or someone will call you out on it. but that is actually good. different teams have different cultures so make sure you know which team you will be on

Advice to Management

Pay us more - google and facebook are always knocking on my door and throwing money at me

9. "Sr. Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Amazon Alexa team for about 3 months now and am having a very positive experience!
    Work: Engaging with lots of learning and so much potential now and in the future. Best way for me to feel part of the team was to get a project/work where I could contribute. It was great I got to work on an initiative which did not need Amazon Alexa knowledge in depth but leveraged my experience to streamline and optimize a process improvement in my team.
    People: Brilliant yet humble and helpful. Most everyone goes out of their way to help you get on-boarded and make you feel part of a team
    Management: Leadership is very clear with their expectations. They give new comers enough time to get accustomed to the Amazon was and also explaining why things are done the way they are. They give teams enough independence to operate and execute without teams going willy-nilly. They also hold teams accountable with relevant metrics and status meetings.
    For working parents there is ample Work Life Balance opportunities and never left stressed about family while I've been here.

Cons

No a con per say but something to know... Alexa is growing rapids and learning curve is steep so be prepared to work smart and hard with brilliant people!

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive work atmosphere and the high bar in recruiting which helps make Amazon a good and smart place to work!

10. "If you are driven and self-motivated you will thrive in this environment."

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Everett, MA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Everett, MA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours are good... Pay is good. As long as you do your job, you won't have anyone constantly looking over your shoulder.

Cons

If you are late you get time deducted from your unpaid time off (UPT)... Or if they flex end time by an hour and you can't stay you lose some of your UPT. There is a lot of turnaround and many times there is flex time added to the shift. If you have another job that starts closely after your shift at Amazon this may become a problem for you. It takes awhile to earn enough sick time to cover a day off if you are going to be out sick.

Advice to Management

There should be more support given to new hires as not everyone is able to adapt and learn as quickly as others.

Showing 79 of 21,730 reviews