Amazon Reviews in Brooklyn, NY | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Amazing experience"

Former Employee - Stylist in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Stylist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, very good work environment

Cons

Some communication problems within the different teams

2. "Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to stack packages after scan on the pilot, wrap, forklift to delivery ready, sort packages, and get along with the team (co workers). This was Amazon in Arvenel, New Jersey

Cons

Seasonal, and late arrival due to heavy traffic coming from NYC to NJ

3. "Amazon"

Current Contractor - Studio Assistant/Merchandiser in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Contractor - Studio Assistant/Merchandiser in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a great company to grow in because of the growth and the success that I have accomplish already. I recently just received an award about my metric and I am the top associate for speed.

Cons

The only con about cons is I am currently not permit. Amazon does not hire permit people it's only contract.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice because I feel that the management is great.

4. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

The ability to make change is a short period of time and have senior leadership visibility.

Cons

There is limited upward mobility when working remote of the HQ in Seattle.

5. "Liars and Horrible people-Amazon Photo Studio"

Former Contractor - Photo Studio Operations Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Contractor - Photo Studio Operations Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, free lunch,very large space to work

Cons

Lied to my temp agency about how "I was late and had an attitude? I arrived 30 minutes early every day and was nice to everyone. They only terminated me because they had a favoritism towards this other employee who wanted my position. You basically have to really suck up to all the permanent employees to not get fired unfairly. It's not worth the money to be honest, find another place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop being racist towards minorities. Focus on your employees strengths instead of treating us like another number

6. "Intern Review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

helpful, can help to gain some industry experience

Cons

can't touch core business,

7. "Transaction Risk Investigator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good work/Life Balance

Cons

Growth limited, Work gets monotonous.

Advice to Management

Better performance reviews., more transparent bonuses and other performance based offers.

"Degree Need Only Apply"

Current Employee - Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Yes, Amazon Fresh does provide opportunities for Tier One employees, but only if have a degree or are under 25 years old. The pay for warehouse work starts at $12.75 for Tier One, plus benefits for over 30 hours a week. Tier Three pay starts at $18.50.

Cons

If you have experience from past employment, Manager, Owner, Annalist etc., and over 40 years old, they will not even consider you for advancement. Most managers, Tier 4 where I work, are under 30 years old, have no manager experience, but all hold degrees in unrelated fields. One a Masters in Economics, Masters in Foreign Studies, Bachelors in Communications... so why are they working in a warehouse...?

Completely unorganized productivity and instructions from the Management... they say one thing one day and change it the next... on and on and on. They take absolute no responsibility for anything. If 4 people check a tote before it is sent to the customer (including 2 managers), and the tote is supposed to contain 7 ounces of deli meat and 7 pounds is sent instead (yes, this really did happen), then all 50 employees are help responsible.

You would be amazed at the amount of 'passing the work' off on someone else, there is here at Amazon Fresh. Every position, from Pickers to Problem Solvers to Managers...all pass a mistake... in the system... off to someone else. For example; my scanner wants me to stow (put an item on a shelf), flour which is in a paper container, just like the flour you can buy in any store. The programmers have categorized flour as Hazmat or a hazard. We stow all products like; bleach, detergents or any thing explosive or dangerous in Hazmat. Flour is also stowed in Hazmat. So the whole wheat flour in the paper container is being stowed in the same bin, next to the smelly detergents and bleach. The flour will absorber the smell of the Hazmat items since they are stowed all in the same bins, within one row.

Advice to Management

Hire people with experience to manage the business. Take responsibility for the teaching and instructions you give. Meet with the computer programers daily, to fix the serious problems in the system, that we tell you about. The lack of experienced employes, from Tier One through Tier Four, will destroy Amazon Fresh.

"Amazon would be an A+ place to work."

Current Employee - Fashion in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Fashion in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great and exciting concept with decent pay!

Cons

Hire jr. mature managers who are world wise and cultured enough to have worked with all stripes of people. Do not put boys in jr. management positions.

Advice to Management

Hire mature jr. managers, jr. managers who are world wise and cultured enough to have worked with all stripes of people. Do not put boys in these positions. Hire more women of color (Black, Latin, Asian, and Middle Eastern) in the tech side. Currently tech in this outfit of Amazon is a boy's only club. The women they do hire are simply there for sport so the young men can have someone to flirt with.

Also upper management is best advised to monitor and regulate this behavior. Don't let the good ones slip through the cracks.

I would recommend this company once these issues are cleaned up.

"Despicable treatment of contract employees"

Former Contractor - Operations in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Contractor - Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't imagine anyone who would want to work here by choice.

Cons

lower level management: completely incompetent, threatening, drill sergeant managerial style. coworkers overworked to the point of hospitalization, and contract workers treated as second class citizens. Everything I read and feared about this company's sweatshop practices unfolded before my very eyes and things just went from bad to worse at times even with disregard to federal and state labor guidelines.

Advice to Management

Your employees, be it subcontractors or salary payroll, are human begins. I don't even where to begin in a company seemingly devoid of ethical business practices.

Showing 10 of 24,522 reviews