Amazon Business Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.8
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We get to learn a lot of things on the job (in 420 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 335 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1954 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 421 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Leaders that care, start up environment, and never have any fear

Cons

Will have to do quite a bit of tasks outside your job description to complete tasks.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow and learn from the daily connections results.

"Global Business Ops. Manager"

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ownership, autonomy, fast moving and room to advance (depends on team). I honestly feel, it is what you make it!

Cons

It feels like a combination between a large company pretending to be a start up. This can also be "pro."

3. "Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the goals of work should be to improve and grow. There are lots of smart people at Amazon and you will undoubtedly stretch yourself and fill in gaps that may have previously been missing. You will be better equipped for other professional endeavors by working at Amazon.

Cons

Job correlation and Pay. You may be a director in your current role, but be prepared to take a slight downgrade if you want to join the Amazon Team.

Advice to Management

Build. Harness Positivity, and engage with employees regularly

4. "Build your future at Amazon"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazon cares about its employees. There is an environment where you can succeed no mater your age, race, gender etc.. I'm living proof as I started my career here at age 58. You are free to challenge traditional thinking and win! If you like working at a fast pace with an ever-changing landscape where you can make a difference, this is the place for you!

Cons

Change is constant. If you don't do well with change, Amazon is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Provide more training choices

"Challenging, Fast-Paced Organization with Significant Opportunity"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon's culture encourages changing teams/roles every 1-2 years if you are entry to mid level and every 2-3 years at senior or management level. This culture allows you to constantly learn new businesses and functions in a highly diverse business environment. Amazon hires a lot of smart people, whether fresh out of business school or industry all-stars, making it an enriching environment to learn from and collaborate with some of the best talent in the world. Amazon gives you a lot of autonomy as an employee, you are expected to own your role and business which often means making high business judgement decisions. I've found this to be motivating and challenging.

Cons

Lacking formal training for new hires, more of a "figure it out as you go" dynamic. Amazon is not known for having great people managers, you often have great individual contributors who are at the point in their career where they want to manage people. You should be conscious of this and make sure to create your own network of mentors and teachers if you are not getting it organically from your manager or skip-level manager.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is the best place I've worked for teaching and requiring people to be intelligent and thoughtful in their business decisions. If you want to learn how to think and execute intelligently, go to Amazon, learn how to structure your thinking in written formats (business docs), and you'll come out much better for it.

Cons

Amazon gets a bad reputation as being "too intense". I'd say that it's not intense, just focused. The majority of employees are good people and enjoyable to be around, and they care very strongly about furthering the company's success.

"You get what you put in"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great comp, work with super smart people, collaboration and reward are part of culture

Cons

male dominated, hard to get promoted in some departments

"Sr. Business Development"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

worked with super smart people doing interesting work

Cons

As exposed in NYT and other places, it does have a gladiator culture.

"AWS Business Development"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Biz Dev side of the AWS partner team for 2.5 years and loved it. The pace of innovation at AWS is mind blowing. The products and services that the team works with are market leading and the opportunity before AWS is staggering. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2.5 years there and would have happily stayed for me. I was scooped up by an AWS partner to lead an even bigger opportunity.

I'd highly recommend time at AWS!

Cons

AWS lives by its Leadership Principles which is mostly a good thing. If these principles resonate with you then you'll be good. If they do not then don't work there. However, there is no Principle around treating employees well. The closest is Hire & Develop the Best but that does not quite mean treating employees with respect. Within some groups at AWS it can be quite harsh. That was not my experience but I heard of people that had a rough time.

AWS is not for everyone but for me it was fantastic.

Advice to Management

Treat people well. Treat them with respect. You focus on the customer and that is really great. If you could put one tenth of that energy on internal personnel it would really help.

Also, get the compensation programs aligned with other tech leaders. The 2 year bonus program and then sub standard pay is really troublesome. Beef up the benefits, they are really quite poor.

"Average lengths of employment, 1 year..."

Former Employee - Business Analyst, Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst, Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with some really smart people and can learn a great deal. With the right manager and team members, you can really grow personally and professionally. The majority of the projects I worked on were cool projects that impacted literally millions of people. Compensation and benefits are decent, if you stick around long enough.

Cons

There is a reason why on average, people only last a year. They tend to run you into the ground, not a lot of work/life balance. I, as well as many other employees felt like their stack ranking review process was detrimental to team building, as people at times turn against one another in order to make themselves look good during review time.

Management is hit and miss at best. I had a few really good managers and I had some that should never have been put into managerial positions. I saw quite a few horrible managers at Amazon. Just because someone is a good individual contributor, does not necessarily qualify them to be a good manager. A bad manager can cripple your career at Amazon. The other frustrating thing was the amount of time spent in meetings, we had meetings to discuss meetings; often they were a huge waste of time.

Salaries are ok, but a good chunk of your compensation when you start is in restricted stock units, that take four years for all of it to vest. Most people only stick around for a year so they don't have to repay their signing bonus and then quit. They don't stay long enough to ever see their RSUs fully vest, therefore Amazon doesn't have to pay out that money.

Advice to Management

Invest in training quality managers that understand how to help and bring out the best in their employees, not just keep a score card.