Amazon Reviews in California | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2255 reviews)

• No work life - personal life balance (in 466 reviews)

"Amazing place filled with opportunity"

Current Employee - SDM in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - SDM in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are tons of cool teams with interesting projects to choose from.

Cons

Be sure to pick the right team with reasonable ops load. It's easy to get stuck on a team with a work dynamic that doesn't fit with your ideal.

Advice to Management

Ensure teams with high ops loads have other projects to work on too for balance.

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, 40 hours, pay, supervisors are great, break room, overtime!!

Cons

constantly hearing employees complaining, long tiring hours,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, don't forget that warehouse jobs are physically draining and should give great opportunity for chiropractors or such to refresh employees. Just something. I personally love labor work but everyone needs a break.

3. "AMZL Logistcs"

Current Employee - AMZL Learning Coordinator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - AMZL Learning Coordinator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Pay
    Stock
    Vacation Pay
    Work life balance

Cons

Sometimes stretched outside your role
    not all information or tools need to train others

4. "Area Manager L4"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Rialto, CA
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Rialto, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intense. Satisfying. Lucrative. Resume Builder. Interesting.

Cons

Intense. Competitive. Work life balance.

Advice to Management

Meet your employees.

5. "Outbound Problem Solver"

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great path to move up in the company because you work with the managers. You also get to understand most systems giving you an advantage over others that are applying for higher positions

Cons

Share the stress of managers and Pa's, but not getting paid the same.

Advice to Management

Pick better problem solvers in other shifts and come up with a standard procedure for most process so that when you come in the last shift doesn't leave you a mess.

6. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment. Lots of stuff to learn

Cons

Nothing much. Can improve some benefits

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"Great for staring career. Do not stay long"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good name for resume. Could be fun depending on your team. Decent pay with sign on bonus and company stock.

Cons

Amazon offered generous stock option, but required to be with them for 4 years. If you went out on leave (except maternity leave), stock will be put on hold. So it will take longer to earn those stock.
    Long hours. Start to work at 5 or 6 am and might not done until 6 or 7 pm (all salaries positions, including HR and any support staff). If you are salaried employee, prepare to work to death. Maybe even on day off. Most salaries employees work at least one day on the weekend. As HR, I have seen senior manager discuss with each other how some people doesn’t work long hour and doesn’t not want to check email on their day off. Those are the one will never be promoted, because they are not available all the times. This is not happened only during peak. I have tried to change this mind set from some senior manager. Unfortunately, hr doesn’t have much voice when decide who to promote. Not all senior manager are the same. However, 4 years with amazon, I only met 1 senior manager that truly care for his employees work life balance.
    Also if you have small children, this will not be the job for you. You will never have time for family. On top of that, pregnant women definitely won’t get a chance at promotion. Although amazon rolled out nee maternity leave, but taking full advance of the leave comes with consequences. I have seen a manager, who was 37 weeks pregnant, worked 14 hours a day. Go home and still answer email at 2 am. It’s not requirement to answer email at 2 am, but if she didn’t, she got a dirty look why it was not done. When she came back from maternity leave, she applied for the ramp back program which provided her with less work schedule (50 %of full-time schedule ). She was in that schedule for a week. She was a burden at the facility. The ramp back schedule just doesn’t work for salaried employee, who is on call 24/7. Again it was not a requirement that written down, but it was an unspoken expectation (especially if you want to be promoted). That was the amazon culture that I got used to. Being hourly employees were little better. Since most hourly employees need to clock in and out at the center, they were not expected to work at home or after they clocked out.
    There is none recognition for HR or salaried manager. We are expected to drive recognition, but get none. I have seen Regional Manager yelled and cursed at his teams during conference meetings, because they didn’t meet number. Regional HR manager was also in the meeting but could not do anything. Nothing happened to him. He might get a warning and got transferred to different region. Nothing changed.
    Corporate HR looked at field HR with different point of view. Very hard to move from field HR (working at the fulfillment center) to corporate hr. During one of my interview for a position at corporate, they mentioned to me that since I worked mostly in the field, I might not fit with corporate culture. So all my previous experiences working in corporate environment with different companies were gone. Not even being consider. The same person also made an expression that field hr was easier. I don’t think that person ever been in a fulfillment center. During a meeting between field hr and Employee Resource Center Manager, he was surprised when we mentioned that our center had 2000 employees. His comment: “you guys have 2000 employees at this place.” The meeting was done off side. Employee resource center worked either in corporate or in India. They answer employee questions via phone or tickets. They have no ideas about certain policies. Everything is refer to site HR. So pretty much useless.

Advice to Management

Fulfillment center is the core business for amazon. Focus on driving engagement that actually work. Set realistic goals. Not everything is a number.

8. "amazon"

Current Employee - Ambassador in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Ambassador in Newark, CA

I have been working at Amazon (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun, good people, part time

Cons

bad management , pay low

9. "Fulfillment Associate"

Former Employee - Stower in Moreno Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Stower in Moreno Valley, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits with the company, great co-workers,

Cons

Not enough money for the amount of work you put into the job, value rate quotas rather over anything else

10. "Big Workplace, Busy and Organized."

Current Employee - Associate in Corona, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Corona, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are very responsive and nice, everything is well placed and busy or chill depending on your position. A lot of break-rooms, positions, and floors.

Interesting items to look at as you work!

Vending machines give a lot of choices in Break-rooms

Huge parking lot across the street.

Cons

Leaking packages are a pain, a lot of walking and standing, some safety precautions are ridiculous and overrated.

Main break-room on first floor is separated from bathrooms for security measures.

Advice to Management

More like I need more advice from my Management, they know a lot.

Showing 975 of 23,648 reviews