Amazon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2210 reviews)

• No work life balance because of shift changes (in 457 reviews)

"Operations Manaer"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great compensation, and overall a great company to work for. Every day is a challenge, in a good way. I am always tasked with finding solutions and my opinion is values.

Cons

Lot's of daily calls and meetings that takes away from time in the process.

Advice to Management

Less calls and from

2. "Great place to work, awesome newer office in Chicago!"

Current Employee - Amazon Media Group Associate Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, love my team and the Chicago office. there are a ton of great resources and it is a fun place to work

Cons

the training is more intense because there is so much information, I personally love constantly learning, but if you're not that type of person, then it might not be a fit

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

"Not the best not the worst."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent customers, work was ok, new things happen a lot. The name looks great on a resume. There really aren’t too many.

Cons

Lots of social politics and backstabbing. DONT TRUST anyone you work with. They say there is a work life balance but 45 hours is normal on the floor, then another 10-15 at home and then during ‘peak’ 6 or 7 days a week & 80 hours a week is the norm. Right after that the demoted tons of managers and cut part time people’s hours basically as a thank you.

No discounts or anything.

Advice to Management

Be more honest, have clearer guidelines, don’t listen to yelp or all customer reviews they aren’t all true, someone should double check on the HR department they don’t follow up on everything they should

4. "Sweatshop"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get and benefits from day 1. I have met some amazing co-workers.

Cons

Rate, rate, rate even at the expense of safety. It is nothing short of a miracle that more accidents don't happen as the rates are continually raised and people take every possible shortcut and risk to make it. The managers are so immature and inexperienced it makes you cringe when hearing them speaking. It is very clear that everyone is just a number and the only thing you will be judged on is making rate. There is zero opportunity to advance so if you want to do these jobs forever - you are in the right place as long as you make rate and don't expect pay rises after 36 months as there is a cap. You are required to stand for hours while the PAs sit on their backsides tapping away at their rolling desks (ala Sean Spicer!)

Advice to Management

Retain your good employees and offer them possible advancement and potential earnings. Otherwise it is just another meat grinder, only with the Amazon moniker attached.

5. "Amazon - a 7 month perspective"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Inspiring people - our people raise the bar
    - Structured onboarding process
    - Great benefits (very comparable to other fortune 500s I have been at)
    - Amazing tech
    - Growth opportunity is limitless

Cons

- Growth pains - too many open reqs
    - Growth pains - managers sometimes have 15+ reports (not sustainable)
    - Growth pains - your manager might change every 9 months

Advice to Management

- Add a "people first" aspect to our leadership principles (above and beyond Hire and Develop the best). We need to be intentional about our focus on people - in removing undifferentiated heavy lifting, career growth, development, balanced workloads etc - this is being done, but we need to state it vocally and often

6. "It’s not what you know, but who you know"

Current Employee - Sorter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sorter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a wonderful company to work for. Great organization structure in management. They are doing their best to be innovative and forward thinking.

Cons

Well, what do you get when you have an accountant, a real estate agent, a nurse, a biologist and a business man? Amazon warehouse leadership. Their skills and makes sense when you realize they have no understanding in warehouse management. Safety is neglected. Appointed leaders are those who appeal to their peers but not their knowledge. The majority of the leadership is from another town and surround themselves with the locals.

Advice to Management

There are some in your circle who are not understanding in the industry of Logistics management Warehousing. The gate keepers you have as supervisors and area managers are naive and unsure. They are promoting those that are friendly rather than knowledgeable. We can all see it.

"Area Manager Review"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to run a business everyday, meet great employees and get to connect with them, amazing benefits, can get promoted quickly if you perform well

Cons

Long hours (not a con if you can handle it). Hard for some people to maintain work life balance.

Advice to Management

The building culture starts with the GM and the seniors. How they operate will trickle down to AMs. Keep this in mind when making impactful decisions.

8. "I great place to work"

Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team, funny environment, fast, the drive to push you, comfy, in the loop of Chicago, company outings, and being apart of one of the greatest companies in the world.

Cons

In the loop of Chicago, getting to and from is hard, parking is pricey, sometimes you have to deal with unruly customers and works, and work can be stressful at times

Advice to Management

I guess make it a little easier to return for previous employees but the team is great there and so are the management.

9. "Start in January"

Current Employee - L4 Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - L4 Area Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Huge company that has expanded to so many markets and areas and the potential for growth is massive and would like to stay with this company as they take over the world

Cons

There are long hours. For area managers the normal shifts are 4 days/week 12-13 hr shifts either Sun-Wed or Wed-Sat

10. "hire and develop the best"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

health benefits
    performance based bonus
    upward mobility possible

Cons

seems to be competitiveness amongst the shifts

Showing 52 of 23,030 reviews