Amazon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

3.2
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 425 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 339 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1970 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 422 reviews)

1. "amazon"

Current Employee - Associate in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

great place to work at, managment is very respectful

Cons

none as of right now

Advice to Management

Keep doing great

2. "fun,fast paced, pretty easy"

Current Employee - Sortation in Crest Hill, IL
    Current Employee - Sortation in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

keeps you busy, fast growing company, lots of opportunities. schedules are set for first 90 days, but appears to be adjustable after.

Cons

everyone's so new sometimes tough to get trained. kinda sorry I picked the schedule I did, 1-5am they won't let me change it, but that's on me

Advice to Management

maybe more thorough training for leaders

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Scanner in Crest Hill, IL
    Current Employee - Scanner in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. They offer overtime which is great. This is a new location so, so far so good. They provide you with training. Training is fast so you must be a fast learner. You get trained on everything within the building. During peak you are allow a certain amount of over time.

Cons

I think the only issue I have had is, they dont tell you in the beginning that you are only guarantee 3 hours instead of 4. Let people know that up front so the won't be surprise when you send them home only with 3hours.

4. "Process Assistant"

Former Employee - Process Assistant in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Process Assistant in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good workout, great opportunity for growth if you kiss tail

Cons

constantly blamed for managers mistakes, under appreciated, constantly pinned against peers, some say it is competitive but honestly it's a mixture of managers and ops managers pushing you to push your peers past any work load they themselves would consider doing for the amount of money or appreciation, amazon concentrates on a "leader" atmosphere and how we are supposed to be along side our peers and associates but, in all actuality majority of the "leaders" could care less because when associates are forced to work 6 days of 12 hour shifts "forced" if not they will be fired the area managers sit home cozy while they have people to cover for them with zero consequence. all in all we as l3s and below are grossly under paid and appreciated.

Advice to Management

listen to your people and give more time off, you may think its all about ph and building performance, but when you associates form a union you'll be in a world of hurt.

5. "High speed and impersonal"

Current Employee - Sorter in Crest Hill, IL
    Current Employee - Sorter in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

Short shifts, which is great becuase it is very physical work.

Cons

All facets of the job are highly physical. Job is designed for a younger person.
    As a new seasonal employee, I have spent most of my time asking questions or performing inefficient tasks. Our facility has only been open for a month, so not many employees know the process.
    The overall persepctive of an employee is just through with your shift and go home. Only the top management of the shift seems to care or understand the goal of the specific shift or goal of the company.
    I'm usually just trying to work hard to help pass the time faster. Why I'm doing what I'm doing becomes of little concern, which is not a good long term plan, but no one wants to explain the system....no time supposedly.

Advice to Management

Maybe a 1 hour class to explain the overalll system and opportunity to employees. I'd like to feel invested, not just a minion.

6. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Packer in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Packer in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work isn’t hard, vto is GREAT! Positive atmosphere and coworkers. 10 hour days 3 days off. Great benefits, so far I have no complaints. I work with a great team of people, so I’m happy.

Cons

None cons as far as I have experienced

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job!

7. "Big Data Consultant"

Current Employee - Big Data Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Big Data Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A land of opportunities, if you are a person where you can learn and build solutions very quickly and help customers to succeed at a faster rate than ever before then this is the place to be.

In this company, there is a high value for the data and facts that go behind any deliverable, recommendation, improvement, and whatever is done. This overwrites or reduce a great deal of traditional processes. This not only helps the company but also help the employees to grow in their careers.

How many companies encourages do not afraid to fail and do mistakes. What is important is: learn from the mistakes and get better at what you do and innovate every day!

Cons

There are too many things that you can and cannot do. For any reason, if it is very difficult to make a good balance about the priorities then one feels it is not a good thing.

However, the leadership always recommends everyone to set the right expectations with the stakeholders (internal and external) and own your own career path

Advice to Management

At this point, none.

8. "Picker"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Aurora, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Has good benefits. Life, stock, matching 401 k, pto, vacation, adoption assistance , maternity -
    Paternity leave, full time forty hour
    Week , new skills, great main break room. Plenty of on site parking. Easy access to tollway.

Cons

Get your location correct ie city. Provide more security cameras in
    Break areas so employees do not have their lunches stollen . Have quotas that are impossible to achieve just starting. They constantly are calling you away from your job to do something then they complain that you aren't making quotas.

Advice to Management

Be more patient with employees just starting. Give your employees full breaks, understand sometimes people do have to go to washroom out of their break time.

9. "Meh!"

Current Employee - Prep in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Prep in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Outstanding medical & dental benefits
    - Pay is okay, not great for what they expect; but not awful
    - Mostly pleasant co-workers

Cons

- Poor Management (there are a few great ones, but mostly poor)
    - Rate Expectation (too many variables to maintain what they deem as a good rate) We always run out of totes so you have to walk to the end of the line in hopes that there are totes to work with, the cardboard conveyor is always jammed so you are surrounded by empty boxes while trying to maintain your workflow, none of the incoming products MANY barcodes scan/work so you cannot receive the product, some problem solvers are very chatty with work friends and slow to do their job, the evening shift never cleans up their station for the day shift, so you either have to set yourself up for success (tisk tisk... Time Off Task) or work in a messy and unorganized workstation.
    - "15-minute" breaks seem illegally short when it takes 3-4 minutes to get on and off the warehouse floor, they are more like 8-minute breaks and don't you dare be 1 second late!
    - You're treated like a grade school student: daily stand-up is basically redundant rule reminders and no-nos, the rate expectation talking to, "feedback" when you're a good or bad Amazonian, Swag Bucks tactics, time off task tyrants.
    - Mandatory overtime

Advice to Management

I personally do not drive 30 minutes every day, at the crack of dawn to come to work and stand around. Ease up! The rate thing is ridiculous; the time off task thing is absurd and the scanning of badges, if you're one minute past the "15-minute" break, is just sad. We work our butts off every day, give us a real break.

10. "Nice job"

Current Employee - Stower in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Stower in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You review health insurance the date of hire.

Cons

The mandatory overtime can interfere with family time, or say,personal time.

Advice to Management

N/a

Showing 193 of 19,342 reviews