Amazon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2325 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 480 reviews)

1. "fullfillment specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

variety of tasks each shift

Cons

break room is sometime too hot or too cold

2. "OK place but losing competitive edge as far as salaries."

Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Sortation Associate in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code. Many nice people to work with. Very flexible time off policies (without pay).

Cons

Pay isn't that great considering all the records we keep breaking. Feels like people are disposable there. Lots of heavy lifting (if you are doing your job). Many slackers that avoid hard work at all costs.

"Not a Prime place to work"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Joliet, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Affordable insurance & benefit options

Cons

Very low pay, low morale,

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees

"Easy to get hired"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job was easy to get. No interviews. Just a drug test and background check. The work was repetitive for a while, but they will train you to do different tasks eventually.

Cons

Standing for 10 hours a day, working 60 hours a week during peak season, and they hire anybody so no surprise I encountered a lot of creeps here. No one did anything when I complained about harassment. Felt like actual slavery at times

"Jeff Bezos Must Think we're Robots"

Former Employee - Warehouse Fulfillment Center Associate in Wood Dale, IL
    Former Employee - Warehouse Fulfillment Center Associate in Wood Dale, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full time benefits- PTO (Paid Time Off), Vacation time, health insurance coverage

Cons

Too much emphasis on pick rate, not enough on safety
    There was too much focus on pick rate. I get that we have to pick 120 units per hour in order to get the orders out on time, but do you have to remind me every time my rate is low? Just leave me alone and let me do my job. Damn. And every time my rate was low, I always got mad at myself which made me focus on that rather than the task at hand. Also, I didn't like that they started ranking us from the picker with the highest rate to the picker with the lowest rate. Is this a competition?

TOT
    TOT stands for Time Off Task. They calculate TOT from the time you finish a pick to the next time you finish a pick, so if, for instance, you use the washroom. This will not only affect your rate, but your TOT, also. I get it. The less time you spend picking, the less productive you are. I didn't like that everything was timed. Maybe I'm a little salty because ultimately, TOT was what got me fired, but who's to know?

Short Lunch Break
    Another thing I didn't like was that the lunch break was too short. As a full timer you get a full 30 minute lunch break. FULL 30 MINUTES. Had to make sure the people in the back heard me. By the time I've used the washroom, checked my blood sugar and made my lunch, I have a FULL 15 MINUTES to eat and relax. I know that blood sugar part was personal, but still not enough time for a break. Bottom line, I think the break could've at least been 45 minutes.

Long Hours
    As a full timer, I worked from 5a.m. - 4:30p.m., with the exception of two 15 minute breaks, and a 30 minute break in which we had to clock in and out of. So, all in all I worked 10.5 hours. As you'd imagine, at the end of the day I'm exhausted and my feet hurt.

Physically Demanding
    This is a very physically demanding job. Depending on your schedule, you're on your feet for 5-10 hours. Plus, you have to bend, ascend and descend a latter (as as a full timer who's only 5'2", I was on a ladder at least 50 times a day), push a cart and sometimes lift heavy grocery bags. As a picker, you have to move pretty fast. Combine that with being in ambient (it's 70 degrees in there) and you'd swear you're in a cardio class. I'd be sweating bullets in there. It was not pretty.

Having to Work in Different Temperatures
    Amazon fresh has three different picking areas: Chilled, Ambient and Frozen, however they combine these areas to make mixed batches: there's Chilled Ambient, Frozen Chilled and Frozen Ambient. This means that you might have to go from the freezing cold to room temperature in a matter of 30 minutes. I've gotten sick several times from having to do this.

Advice to Management

Specifically have someone prepare carts and dry ice toppers. Fix carts with yellow handles. They swivel too much. Give full timers a 45 minute break. 30 minutes is not enough. Fix yellow dividers between bins. There are several on the ground and that are broken. Tell inbound managers to tell stowers not to put different items of the same brand in the same bin. Be real. Don't make me think I'm doing busy work when I'm not (i.e. stowing). Let me know in advance that if I'm stowing all day I have a rate and TOT. Finally, all management should be fired.

6. "You do too much work for what you get"

Current Employee - Amazon Fresh Associate in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Amazon Fresh Associate in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Knowing that you work for one on the biggest company in the world.

Good first job, they pretty much accept anybody that apply and theres no interview that you have to worry about. Just pass the background check and you're good.

Pays above minimum wage.

Cons

Manager puts you in the freezer when the gloves can't keep your fingers from getting frostbites. They are all about safety, but they constantly harassed me on why my pick rate is so slow when I'm trying to prevent my fingers from getting frostbites.

The manager always talk about how he can help inprove pick rate since he used to have a high pick rate himself, but things have changed. There aren't workers there to help prep your cart and prep your ice, now you have to do all by yourself and they expect us to do it all in under 4 minutes. Prepping all of that takes around 10 minutes. I doubt the managers can even prep it under 4 minutes. Plus having to get the dry ice yourself, so you're pushing a 200 lbs box full of dry ice across the building expecting that to not affect pick rate that much. I'm always the one who have to take the bullet and get the dry ice since my co workers are worried about their rates.

The pick rate they expect you to pick at is too high. They want you to pick at 130 units per hour, but a year ago they expected you to pick at 70 units per hour. That's almost 2 times fastet, yet they haven't increased the hourly wage by a single penny.

Managers are always giving out VTO (Voluntary Time Off) like it's candy whenever it's not busy. You don't have to take it, but they want you to take it because they're stingy like that. Some of the weeks I've worked were 5 hours when I'm supposed to work 15-20 hours. During peak time is pretty much the only time where your hours are consistent, and they offer OT regularly.

Advice to Management

Increase the hourly wage if you're going to be working your employees this hard. At least make it you pay the people on the dock and inbound people the regular amount, but pay pickers extra since we go through way more work than those positions.

7. "Sorter"

Current Employee - Sorter in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Sorter in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love it.. I love the small shifts and great pay and benefits.

Cons

None really 2 upt hour should not be taken for coming in 1 hour and 1 min late maybe 1/2 hours for less then 5 mins.

Advice to Management

Keep Paying attention to your excellent workers... You guys do ..keep up the good work

8. "Awesome Benefits"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Hard on your body from manual labor in most departments.

Advice to Management

Structure is key

9. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Associate in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, tons of potential for future opportunities, Huge company brand recognition worldwide

Cons

In a company this big you essentially are just a number and their internal promotion policy is extremely flawed leaving those with experiences outside of Amazon completely looked over for promotions with anything less than 2 years Amazon experience. There is no compensation for learning more roles and there's often a lot of politics and favoritism within teams. If you're not on 1st shift, the hours for 3rd shift stink

Advice to Management

I'm all for promoting from within but your best candidates aren't just those with 2 years of service

10. "Amazon Review"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, good pay, and many opportunities for career growth.

Cons

High turn over rate and standing for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Consider adding a workers union to Amazon

Showing 303 of 25,888 reviews