Amazon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "Operations Manaer"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great compensation, and overall a great company to work for. Every day is a challenge, in a good way. I am always tasked with finding solutions and my opinion is values.

Cons

Lot's of daily calls and meetings that takes away from time in the process.

Advice to Management

Less calls and from

2. "Great place to work, awesome newer office in Chicago!"

Current Employee - Amazon Media Group Associate Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great work environment, love my team and the Chicago office. there are a ton of great resources and it is a fun place to work

Cons

the training is more intense because there is so much information, I personally love constantly learning, but if you're not that type of person, then it might not be a fit

Advice to Management

keep up the great work!

3. "Amazon - a 7 month perspective"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing culture
    - Inspiring people - our people raise the bar
    - Structured onboarding process
    - Great benefits (very comparable to other fortune 500s I have been at)
    - Amazing tech
    - Growth opportunity is limitless

Cons

- Growth pains - too many open reqs
    - Growth pains - managers sometimes have 15+ reports (not sustainable)
    - Growth pains - your manager might change every 9 months

Advice to Management

- Add a "people first" aspect to our leadership principles (above and beyond Hire and Develop the best). We need to be intentional about our focus on people - in removing undifferentiated heavy lifting, career growth, development, balanced workloads etc - this is being done, but we need to state it vocally and often

4. "Good company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crest Hill, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time

Pros

Good, nice people to work with. The job itself is extremely easy.

Cons

Not enough hours at part-time sort center

5. "Mehh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Pay can be great when they are not offering VTO. Monthly bonus based on building performance and your attendance. Stock after 90 days, that you have to allow to rest for two years aka you can't sale it until 2 year. The stock is yours after 90 days if you claim it, yes even if you quit or are fired. Again you can't sale it though, you have to wait two years. Health, vision, and dental are all very cheap. Easy to apply to another department or facility as long as you don't have write ups. They will pay 95 percent of your college tuition up to a certain dollar amount. Jeff Bezos seems to care. They are always asking the opinion of the employees.

Cons

Management in ICQA at MDW9 is terrible. Theh are never around for night shift and will write you up quickly. Almost everyone has been written up, about 10 out of 15 people. They like to rush you through training and proceed to complain about OP accidents. Literally trained for about 30 minutes and was thrown on a machine and was on my own. They don't take you through the building to show you how things work you have to figure it out or get yelled at for doing something you were never told not to do. Hectic during peak. There were days were we had no OP's because there were too many people. They don't wash the harnesses. We are in them for 10 hrs per shift and the building is 24 hrs so they are unbelievably dirty and they think it's appropriate to not wash them. ICQA is the "let me wipe your you know what" department. You literally just go around fixing other people's mistakes and if you make a mistake you get fired for it. Mind you you're trying to fix the mistake while you have a picker or stower behind you rushing you out of their way. If you did your job properly I wouldn't have to spend 30 minutes taking everything out of the bin just to count it or reorganize it so that a heavy box isnton top of a small fragile light weight box. They trow you into a department without asking your preference. If you don't like heights or swaying back and forth whilst being 30ft in the air don't apply. You're so tired after working four 10 hr days, five 12 hrs days during peak, that it's hard to make extra money on your days off unless the job is sitting on your bottom.

Advice to Management

If safety is truly important spend more time training people. Allow those that truly don't like hieghts stick to packing or the loading docks.

6. "Not so Amazoning"

Former Employee - Kiva Stow in Monee, IL
    Former Employee - Kiva Stow in Monee, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, clean, mostly safe, lots of nice co workers, paid in time

Cons

Grueling ,mind numbing ,repetitive work, Designed to promote failure

Advice to Management

Wake up.... work rules will invite unionization

7. "Sort team/ one man team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the work model of having different jobs. Made sure you never got tired of your job.

Cons

When given a leadership role like auditing rebin carts there was no vest color change showing your role status. Caused a lot of issues.

Advice to Management

If you give a leadership role to someone make sure to give a meeting explaining why the auditing team is being called in and that they are there to help catch error not get people written up.

8. "It’s not what you know, but who you know"

Current Employee - Sorter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sorter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a wonderful company to work for. Great organization structure in management. They are doing their best to be innovative and forward thinking.

Cons

Well, what do you get when you have an accountant, a real estate agent, a nurse, a biologist and a business man? Amazon warehouse leadership. Their skills and makes sense when you realize they have no understanding in warehouse management. Safety is neglected. Appointed leaders are those who appeal to their peers but not their knowledge. The majority of the leadership is from another town and surround themselves with the locals.

Advice to Management

There are some in your circle who are not understanding in the industry of Logistics management Warehousing. The gate keepers you have as supervisors and area managers are naive and unsure. They are promoting those that are friendly rather than knowledgeable. We can all see it.

9. "Fantastic Company!"

Current Employee - Ambassador in Crest Hill, IL
    Current Employee - Ambassador in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work 5 days a week, get paid for 18 hours! I work the wrapdown shift only right now and our team is amazing. The shift is supposed to be 12-4am but we finish by 2am almost everyday. As an ambassador, im usually kept behind for a bit, but still only average about 13 hours a week! With perfect attendance for the week, Amazon pays for 18 hours no matter how much we work, so essentially im getting paid for 5 hours I didnt actually work. Doing the math, for me, it comes out to about $20/hr!

Cons

Working the same shift can get monotonous, but it's all about the team and we like to make work fun!

Advice to Management

Attention to detail needs improvement as well as overall organization.

10. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Monee, IL
    Former Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Monee, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon is on of the fastest growing companies. They have excellent benefits and PTO.

Cons

You work very hard. Its ran like the military. Managers write employees up for various issues without notifying the employee. When you are written up you are not shown the write up. It's done electronically. Its then placed in your file with out your signature or review. Some people say they had been written up with no knowledge of it. Something needs to be done about this!!!!

Advice to Management

Sit down with employees when you write them up. Allow them to review the write up and sign it if they wish.

Showing 243 of 21,673 reviews