Amazon Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Warehouse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

No job security. Long hours

2. "Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, job opportunity, new technology, great experience

Cons

long hours, manager changeover, work-life balance

Advice to Management

Great place to work. Cannot find an opportunity like this from any other company. Hours are long at first but put in your time and you will get rewarded. This job is not for everyone, only for those looking to succeed on a day to day basis.

3. "Great place, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team - incredible and smart people surround and teach me every day
    Exciting company and product
    Compensation
    Management - best managers I have ever had
    Opportunity to grow (and or switch jobs/ verticals/ positions)

Cons

Constantly changing which isn't a negative per-say but don't work here if you aren't ready to be challenged

Advice to Management

Keep continually listening to us! You do a fantastic job but please don't change.

"Fulfillment Associate (Full Time, Over 1 Year)"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health insurance and benefits, 401k, and a stable work schedule (excluding July, and October to December)
    If you want a steady job, and are okay with extremely repetitive tasks, this is a good position.

Cons

1. For as large as Amazon is, the lack of communication is ridiculous. The flow of information from OPS managers, to Area managers, to Tier 1 employees is nonexistent.

2. You are not an employee, you are a number, a statistic. There is so much pressure placed on everyone, from the top down, that no one sees a larger picture. Managers refuse to give indirect roles (people that work to supply product, clear garbage, allow stowers/pickers to work non-stop for 10 hours a day) the help that they need because they need every single stower available to increase their numbers. That leaves each indirect doing the physically demanding work of three people. Management ignores the stress that this puts on employees in direct and indirect roles.

3. ATTENTION DEGREE HOLDERS. Do not believe that your degree means anything here. Unless you are specifically hired as management or higher, you will not be considered for promotions. Promotions are given strictly on seniority. You will have to work here for 2-3 years before they will call you in for an 'interview'. It does not matter what degree you hold, how much experience you hold in the position, or how qualified you are. They do not care unless you have been there the longest.

4. There is no loyalty. Management only listens to what they want to hear. One manager came to our floor and asked the 16 of us that were working there 'what would motivate us to do our jobs better'. 15 of us said a livable wage. 1 person said being able to listen to music. You can guess what we got. We are told that our $12.25/hr is competitive because we are compared to Walmart and Target. Not other warehouses and other fulfillment centers that pay between $17.50 and $19.00.

5. While managers are given Peak (Christmas) bonuses, all we received was a t-shirt. Really?

Advice to Management

Give your employees the resources they need to do the job effectively. Management is strictly reactive, never proactive. Consistently, they will wait for an emergency to happen rather than take the simple steps to prevent the emergency. Stop caring about numbers, and realize that if you didn't put so much pressure on your employees, they would absolutely perform better. It's shocking how much productivity improves when people aren't fearing for their jobs, and indirects are not physically exhausted.

Finally, suck it up and pay your employees a livable wage. Currently, we are too close to being able to afford food stamps when we are working 40 hours a week. Stop trying to manipulate everything to avoid paying us.

5. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Process Assistant in Flossmoor, IL
    Former Employee - Process Assistant in Flossmoor, IL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    4 days off

Cons

Work conditions
    Expectations
    Mandatory overtime
    Inconsiderate of time
    Time off/vacation system

"Not as bad as people say"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Monee, IL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Besides the managers that in my experience have been difficult to work under, Amazon is a great place to work for. Most people will complain about the things they signed up for. Yes, it does get hot. Wear thin, breathable clothing. Shorts and tank tops are allowed. Get a water bottle and fill it with ice. They have ice machines in the break rooms and water coolers every where.
    Yes, you’re standing for 10-12 hrs. Get you a pair of new balance shoes or invest in some really good inserts for your shoes. You get a break every four hours. Two 30 min and one 15 min. It takes me two min to walk to break room, not ten like people say.
    If you haven the worked a labor job before I wouldn’t recommend it. But mostly everything people comeolain about is written out before you even apply. It’s literally in the description of the job. Things like mandatory overtime during peak season from November-January. Everyone has to comeback in 5 days a week until peak is over. That’s 60hrs a week which sucks, but honestly during Christmas, a check every two weeks saying $1,400 isn’t bad. Plus you can win gift cards, TVs, PlayStations and other things just for attendance and or meeting rate.

Benefits are great. I pay $16 for having both medical and vision for blue cross. I get discounts for pet insurance with nationwide, discounts with sketchers, wineries, cruises, Disney, Apple and a lot of other places. When you make a year at Amazon they offer to pay 95% of your tuition for any high demand career.

Cons

Some of the area managers seem to only care about rate rather than their workers personal barriers and or well being. In my experience they seem to have put the job first rather than act as a leader and help their workers through whatever issue their having and seeing what they can do to fix it. Most problems go unresolved.

Advice to Management

The way certain managers speak to their employees, it can come off a bit arrogant and make some people feel insignificant. Not all area managers are like this, some are really great to work with... but the few that are need training in people skills or something along those lines. Rate shouldn’t be everything, but to some it is.

7. "Packer"

Current Employee - Packer in Monee, IL
    Current Employee - Packer in Monee, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is a great place to work! It’s really not that hard. If you come in to do work you will have no problems.

Tons of time off

Great benefits

Cons

No ways to advance with out being a baby sitter. Some people are cut out for different thing, they need a Better way of utilizing there talent.

Tend to put the lazy people in roles with out rates. Leaving the hard workers becoming bitter.

Too many of the area managers are arrogant.

They put a lot of focus on the workers not making rate and cast aside those who excel.

Advice to Management

Focus on both the great employees and those who need to improve. If those who excel in rated roles are cast aside it won’t helps those who are struggling even want to excel. Utilize your talent as well. Maybe a PA role isn’t the path for everyone but an employee’s talent can shine else where.

"Okay job but many flaws that need to be worked on."

Current Employee - Inbound Stow in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Inbound Stow in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VTO
    PTO
    Good benefits
    Clean Break rooms
    Fun and respectful managers.
    Coworkers seem friendly (sometimes)
    Swag bucks ($5 rewards for rate and productivity)

Cons

Obsession over rate
    Time off Task in unreasonable
    Standing and walking for 10 hours
    Hard on the body
    No enough Unpaid Time Off for emergencies
    Very boring and repetitive
    Lack of cross training
    HR Department is unfriendly, sometimes rude and incompetent.

Advice to Management

Orientation & training could be much better. A lot of very important things were not explained to incoming employees and we had to research on our own or get info from random coworkers. Encourage cross training in other departments for employees so we can do something different more often. Train you HR department better, they are constantly giving out the wrong information and are very unhelpful. Warn employees before you write them up, these write ups sometimes come out of nowhere. Time off task needs to be taken into consideration especially if the employee is sick or not feeling well, or stuck at problem solve.

9. "Microsoft Platform Sales Lead"

Current Employee - Microsoft Platform Sales Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Microsoft Platform Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazon Web Services presents an environment of constant learning. There is never a dull day as there is so much happening in the public cloud space and AWS is leading the way. Keeping pace with the innovation is a challenge but extremely rewarding. I've never been surrounded by a group of co-workers that were so invested in each other's success. Very refreshing!

Cons

The AWS team continues to grow and locating the proper resources can be a challenge. You need to be a go-getter to survive and be willing to do it yourself in order to get things done.

Advice to Management

Keep setting the pace for the field sales force through continuous innovation of the platform. It makes our job so much easier and more exciting!

"Love it"

Current Employee - Stower in Monee, IL
    Current Employee - Stower in Monee, IL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Four 10 hour shifts, and benefits day one.
    I have been there for 6 months and I love it.

Cons

Make you do a million job for the same pay.

Showing 279 of 24,510 reviews