Amazon Reviews in Cincinnati, OH | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

"Excellent company for developing leaders at all levels"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Feedback rich environment
    High standards and expectation to deliver high quality work
    Unlimited opportunities to grow in your role and expand into new areas

Cons

Its not for everyone. Feedback is very direct and measurable results are expected. We work very hard but I feel we are well compensated for our efforts and there are no limits to the personal and professional growth that we can attain. Leaders are responsible to manage their work/life harmony.

"Should’ve just stayed with my other job."

Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sortation Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was pretty decent. And they always gave incentives and free stuff to try and make you think you were working in a good environment

Cons

HR is absolutely horrible, if you have a school schedule forget working here. You won’t be able to get a hold of anyone in HR.
    Little to no training
    Bad management

Advice to Management

Don’t be so rude to your employees and train them better.

3. "It is what it is!!"

Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most Flexible scheduling I have ever seen!

Cons

No benefits, not much room for promotion or pay raise

Advice to Management

Develop employees , and give them a monetary rewards to grow. Set up a pay raise system.

"Challenging and Engaging Environment"

Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Global Account Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your work is customer focused rather then internally focused. I've worked for several large technology companies, and the talent level here is by far the best. I'm challenged every day in a positive manner, and the opportunities to grow your career are awesome.

Cons

Some customers are hesitant to work with AWS because of their fear of competing with Amazon.com.

5. "Manage purchasing for several locations."

Current Employee - Central Services Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Central Services Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always different. I enjoy working on ways to save the company money by choosing vendors on a large scale. It is a very friendly environment.

Cons

Not flexible. There is not a clear consensus from management on spending and it makes central purchasing challenging at times.

Advice to Management

More definition to job titles and work flow rhythms. Projects are always last minute which does not allow for best price shopping.

"Go get a decent job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's money, and you need to live.

Cons

It's current Amazon, and employment there is not what one would want, if one has an alernative.

Advice to Management

There really isn't any management as they are just how we'd interface with incredibly poorly written software, that actually manages things.
    The "rate" system is horribly flawed as it doesn't use the correct mathematical equation, There are supposed to be 3 separate rates instead the is one that is an average of the 3. Meaning if you're unlucky enough to get more difficult tasks you could lose you job, even if you're operating at 200% of what you agree to. This leads to poor quality and safety standards, and tends to keep low down cons, in empoly.
    Much of Amazon, utilizes tactics like this to keep employees fearful, and of balance. They often use neurolinguistic programming as a way to condition employees, which they teach to managers, who are often too daft to understand what's going on. The pick the most pliable in their ranks for promotion.
    If they were to simply write a mathematically correct equation, many of these issues would be solved. Except, for the psychological manipulation. It's a corporate culture of fear, maintained by fear.

7. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for the largest online retailer has it's perks. Opportunities to work on projects which quickly scale to 6 or 7 figure savings for the company are all around. Stock compensation has been very lucrative with the company's continued growth. Company values are those that honestly should be taught to children growing up. People are level headed, practical and the quality of your team members will likely be very high without it seeming like they will step on your back to get ahead. Everyone is very helpful if you just ask

Cons

Very political in regards to promotion and the criteria to progress within the company has alot of grey area. The "superstars" are promoted very quickly where as the folks who do their job well but aren't as technical as the "superstars" (for example) are left to essentially figure out they've hit a ceiling after their restricted stock vests eventually run out from not being promoted.

Advice to Management

Understand the reason for such high turnover in the company is not only the work life balance aspect that is well known but also the stack ranking methodology that prevents employees exceeding their role from promotion because the competition is fierce in such a high quality talent pool.

"Depends on your perspective"

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

+ fair benefits
    + monthly production and attendance bonuses
    + good vision and dental plan
    + games during peak season
    + fair PTO and UPT

Cons

+ no union
    + voice of opinion board is always full of complaints
    + whether you have a good manager or a bad manager shapes the overall mood of the floor
    + little to no sunshine for 10 hours straight
    + you'll hear a lot of people talking about how everything is unfair
    + if your station is set-up correctly in the morning it makes your day much easier
    + your personal daily production rating system is not entirely fair
    + people like to put you down and it really kills the attitude
    + its difficult to constructively grow if you start in a level 1 position

Advice to Management

+ walk the floors and listen to the problems people are talking about
    + be proactive in making corrections for the betterment of others

9. "OUR DRIVER"

Current Contractor - OTR Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Contractor - OTR Driver in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor

Pros

Hire or steal people from fedex to help build your shipping department.

Cons

Amazon truck yards are the worst to get in n get out. Small number congested. Pleases hire people who know way they are doing especially on the south called shipping desk. The so called command control is a joke. Get a in house shipping desk, with people who know wat they are doing. I did the math , one week 20 hours was wasted getting in getting out of the hubs on a dedicated run.

"Flex scheduling has made Amazon Prime Now a terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Seasonal Part Time Picker in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Seasonal Part Time Picker in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair hourly wage, the work activity can be really good for weight loss. The Flex shift hours can allow one to feel like they have a good work life balance, especially if you don't mind missing a few paychecks. The break room is nice. They have a microwave and vending machines,and water coolers.

Cons

There are not many pros in the current configuration of Amazon Prime Now Flex. The workload has increased substantially and the manpower has been effectively reduced through the misuse of the flexible scheduling option. Some employees scramble to be online so they can snatch availability at the location I am associated with; some of them go for weeks with no hours available to work. I was shocked to see how insidious the lure of a change in status of employment from part time seasonal to a permanent Amazon hire was used to basically trick the unsuspecting employee into reducing hours for the company. Since the change, I see understaffing to the point that the managers have to pick product and the associate that has hours has to work at a fever pitch just to keep up with the demand.When the service launched there were,on average, eight employees on shift. Now there may be two and in some cases one. That is very abusive. One more thing. The managers do not care that you have been picking product from the time you clock in. Once you finish the task of picking and slamming products the expectation is that because they are so short staffed and need to have product put away or stowed they continue the grind you into the dirt...until your break, which you will need because the warehouse is so hot you drip sweat.

Advice to Management

Please staff appropriately so you do not burn out the Part time seasonal employee. There can be no doubt that if the current pattern continues there will not be many associates that are willing to work as if they were three people. Keep all employees for the entire shift so that when the opportunity arises to stow product you have enough people to get the job done without stressing out the staff.

Showing 19 of 21,679 reviews