Amazon Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Best Customer Service Job in 25 Year Career!"

Current Employee - P2 Retail Prime Now Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, focus on one call resolution, caring management, encourage out of box thinking, employee discount

Cons

Minimal advancement opportunity for part time associates, can be high volume, always changing atmosphere

Advice to Management

Part time associates want opportunity for advancement, too. Not everyone can work a full time schedule. Sadly, many talents are wasted by under utilizing the part time CSRs. Take the advice given by experienced reps, and find ways to avoid duplication of efforts. Also, if CSRs see a trend, please give us the benefit of knowing what we are talking about. Continue making the W@H reps feel like part of the team! Knowing we aren't alone makes all the difference on rough days.

2. "Software Development Engineer (SDE) Intern"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed Uniform, Great Pay, Community Involvement, Bleeding Edge Technology, Continuous Learning Opportunities make Amazon very friendly towards interns

Cons

Very large company if that's not your thing

Advice to Management

Keep Bezos at the helm... he has an awesome vision

3. "AWS Professional Services Cloud Infrastructure Architect"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Lancaster, OH
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Lancaster, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customer obsession and leadership principles are real and used in daily decision making. Amazing people to work with and learn from on projects. Interesting, relevant and in-demand cloud services. Opportunity to work with customers that I would never have had outside of AWS. Internal growth and career development opportunities are as broad and extensive as I have seen anywhere. Encouraged to explore, learn and build new solutions. Part of something growing, innovating and important to customers.

Cons

Organization and information base is huge and de-centralized. It can be challenging to find specific people or skills or information. Difficult to keep up with all of the innovations and changes, though there are many internal mechanisms to help.

4. "Best Job I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Non-Inventory Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Non-Inventory Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement for anyone who is willing to work for what they want.

Cons

Can become monotonous if morale falls low.

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you can about your employees. It will help boost their spirits knowing that their manager wants to learn more about their AA's.

5. "Amazon tier one associate"

Current Employee - Singles in Etna, OH
    Current Employee - Singles in Etna, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

works not to hard
    opportunities to grow

Cons

days can be long
    sometimes poor management

"Awful Awful Awful Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etna, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etna, OH

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is good, benefits are amazing. Literally the only reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

Management sucks! The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing 90 percent of the time! They treat you like robots. Always pushing you harder. Nothing is ever good enough. Water Spiders have it freaking rough! It's a one man show half the time trying to get work to people, fill the buffer, empty and fill the VRC and sled it out. They seem to think one person can work a whole side by themselves, running and sledding all three days. If you sign up to water spider you will never get a break. Better off stowing. I wouldn't go back even if it was $30 an hour! When I first started I was all on my own. Had to learn the rules the hard way, had to figure out how to make rate the hard way. They don't teach squat! The whole process is going in blind! HR is AWFUL! I'm a computer tech and the people who run HR make me cringe. It's just the 'easy' job for them to do compared to the rest of the workers, so they really don't give a crap about whatever problems you are having. You work so hard for 12 hours three days a week that you come home and don't want to do anything because you're so sore and stressed out. Terrible, life draining, careless, unorganized environment. Best thing I ever did was leave.

Advice to Management

Make some rules, teach the rules and stick to it. Learn how to treat people like people and not machines.

7. "For the extremely dedicated & extremely loyal because they are extremely customer obsessed and fail to recognize talent"

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Keeps you busy, Relocation, Always a new project, Diverse

Cons

Everyday is day 1 which means nothing ever gets finished, unorganized, minimal teamwork, must become a salesman or cut throats to get ahead, leadership principles are used religiously

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, if you don't, they will leave

"It's definitely for the fresh out of college crowd"

Former Employee - Leave Management-HR in Etna, OH
    Former Employee - Leave Management-HR in Etna, OH

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits were excellent.

Cons

Where to start. I bought into the hype. I thought the culture at Amazon would be amazing. And the salary, benefits and bonus structure sucked me in. It's absolutely amazing what they are accomplishing. Unfortunately, its all a facade. Employees truly are nothing but numbers. The interview process is grueling. (FIVE!!) And once you are on board you are literally on your own. Management is all in the 20-30 age range and many have never managed before and have ZERO people skills. This is what Amazon wants. They want robots to fill the orders and hit the numbers. Everything at Amazon is driven by numbers. They do not care at all about you or your life balance. Eventually they will burn through their talent pool. Average tenure is 2 years and they seem proud of that. Long term career success is not their goal. They will squeeze all they can out of you then set you on your way.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can. Or before Amazon breaks you. Not all companies function this way and if this is your first job you are going to think you can go anywhere and act the way you do here. You cant. Those are actual people you are managing. Not robots. Speak to them. Develop them.

"Former Full-timer, now Part-timer."

Current Employee - Associate in Obetz, OH
    Current Employee - Associate in Obetz, OH

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part Time shift
    Decent Pay
    Younger managers can be friendly
    Problem Solve Positions

Cons

Unexpected Mandatory Over Time for full timers
    Older Managers who belittle you
    They care only about rates and do a horrible PR spin to tell you otherwise
    Standing in the same spot for 10 hours, 11 or 12 depending on your shift type.
    Repetitive motion that cause extreme pain
    Lack opportunities for part-timers, expect monotony
    Some co-associates think they hold authority over you because they've been there longer.

In conclusion, I am approaching 2 years of employment and I have never felt more like a tool than a member of the team. If you need quick cash, work at this place for less than a year and get out before you hate yourself.

Advice to Management

Train part timers for different roles instead of making them do one role.

10. "An opportunity I'm glad I didn't miss."

Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Etna, OH
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Associate in Etna, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, benefits, scheduling, culture, and work life balance.

Cons

Unorganized at times, and the workload can be strenuous and tedious depending on how you look at it.

Showing 62 of 25,067 reviews